Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were practicing the Ride Like a Pro skills saturday and I had no problems until we left. The clutch was slipping when under a strain. The adjustment had tightened up enough to put it in the friction zone. It still slips a little when in the higher gears. Maybe the clutch glazed over just a bit, I'm going to change the oil and see if that helps any. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll have to replace the clutch. I love my bike and am not going to get rid of it. If anyone has any ideas on what might be the solution I would be greatful. Pappie

·
Vulcan 1600 Classic
490 Posts
Pappie. . . . Why would you even think of getting rid of your bike. A clutch replacement is not a big job! The oil change may help. Are you running dyno or sythetic?

Ride Safe Bro....

Jim

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Grade and type of oil? Some of the car oils have friction modifiers that don't work with the wet plate clutches. Many riders are using Shell Rotella oil in their bikes.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using Havoline motorcycle oil 20w 40. Get it at Auto Zone. I wouldn't think of getting rid of the bike, I have replaced the clutch on a Honda CL 350 I used to have so I know its not that hard. Now I have a friend who has had a bike shop over 35 years and I'll pay him to change it just to not have the hassle. I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet but there are lots of knowledgeble people on this forum and thought I see if anyone has experince in this area. Now would be a good time for Rich to return. I'll try the oil change first and if it doesn't work then I guess I'll have Chuck look at it. I appreciate everbody's help. Have a safe and Happy New Year. Pappie

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same problem and started having it right after an oil change. Would too much oil cause the clutch to slip when I accelerate hard? I am pretty sure after some further research that I did put too much oil in so I am going to do another oil change to fix that. I was just wondering if it would fix the clutch slip.

·
Wide open throttle
61 Posts
I had the same problem with clutch slippage, after 4 hours of sitting in gridlock in NYC, it began slipping in 4 and 5 gear at high revs. Because i was on a road trip with 6000 left to go i decided to replace the clutch. Replaced with a higher end aftermarket one. What you describe sounds like what happend to me.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
How many miles are on the bike Pap? Seems odd for an 07. You don't have more than 15,000 do you? I got about 55,000 out of the clutch on my 01 Classic before I changed it. Never a slip prior to that, and I didn't baby it, for sure. I wonder about the glazing since you were in the parking lot quite a bit and using the clutch a lot. When you have your friend open it up, take a look at the thickness of them. I'm guessing that perhaps he can scuff them up again instead of replacing them if they still have pad left.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles are on the bike Pap? Seems odd for an 07. You don't have more than 15,000 do you? I got about 55,000 out of the clutch on my 01 Classic before I changed it. Never a slip prior to that, and I didn't baby it, for sure. I wonder about the glazing since you were in the parking lot quite a bit and using the clutch a lot. When you have your friend open it up, take a look at the thickness of them. I'm guessing that perhaps he can scuff them up again instead of replacing them if they still have pad left.
I have 27800 on the bike. We were doing the skills for Motor Officer and riding in the friction zone for about 2 hours. The fan kept coming on and I would stop and cool it down for several minutes before starting again. I'm hoping that it can be scuffed and fix it but if not then I guess I'll have to replace it. If i do replace it I'll go with a higher performance one. I ride daily until it starts getting below 30 at night because I work 2nd shift mostly and ride 30 miles one way. After adjusting the clutch it only did it in 4th and 5th gears where it was doing it in all gears before. Pappie

·
got Sig?
64 Posts
I have 27800 on the bike. We were doing the skills for Motor Officer and riding in the friction zone for about 2 hours. The fan kept coming on and I would stop and cool it down for several minutes before starting again. I'm hoping that it can be scuffed and fix it but if not then I guess I'll have to replace it. If i do replace it I'll go with a higher performance one. I ride daily until it starts getting below 30 at night because I work 2nd shift mostly and ride 30 miles one way. After adjusting the clutch it only did it in 4th and 5th gears where it was doing it in all gears before. Pappie
Thats about how many miles I had on mine when I had to replace the clutch. I was also doing the "Ride Like A Pro" series when mine went out. ALOT of friction zone practice there. But replaceing the plate is fairly easy if you follow the service manual. I replaced the steel plates, springs and friction plates. Cost about $75 in parts and took about 6 hours if I remember right. Have over 42K miles now and no problems. I've backed off the clutch usage a bit...lol

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have 27800 on the bike. We were doing the skills for Motor Officer and riding in the friction zone for about 2 hours. The fan kept coming on and I would stop and cool it down for several minutes before starting again.
Next time, don't just stop and let the fan cool. Unless you're moving the clutch doesn't get to spin and cycle out the hot oil. In the videos and on the web page you're told to take a break every 15 minutes or so and to ride around the parking lot, clutch fully engaged. This will cycle the oil through the whole crankcase/transmission and allow everything to cool down.

I ate my clutch up in a parade. It was my fault but once I noticed that the bike was getting hot there wasn't anyplace for me to pull it over. Pretty soon it was taking farther and farther for my handle to be released before the clutch took hold. By the time I got my bike to the shop the gage was warped along with toasted plates and springs. Well, it was an expensive fix and I always kinda wondered if the parts I had downstairs were mine. But no matter, it's been fine since.

Sounds like you have the plan of attack to get yours fixed. Just remember, breeze that tranny out every 15 minutes or so and you'll keep it cool and it'll last a long time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same problem and started having it right after an oil change. Would too much oil cause the clutch to slip when I accelerate hard? I am pretty sure after some further research that I did put too much oil in so I am going to do another oil change to fix that. I was just wondering if it would fix the clutch slip.
Yes, too much oil will make the clutch slip. That was my issue when a dealership put 4 qt of oil in instead of 3. I had the oil changed correctly by a better dealership and it runs much better. The tech said that if the oil is overfilled, it soaks the clutch and makes it slippery.

Made sense to me, and I know the results are better with the proper amount of oil now.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I stopped, it was for at least 15 minutes each time. I was running it the full length of the lot at about 40 mph also. The cable had tightened up enough that when we quit practicing it was slipping on the ride home. It was when I got home I found out the adjustment had tighened. I wonder if when I noticed it and I had readjusted the cable if it would have straightened up. Foresight is blind while hindsight is 20/20. Thanks for everyone's reply. Pappie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts