Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
***** Supporter
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past month anytime I went up a long hill and if I had to pass anyone when I was in 4th or 5th gear as I gave it full throttle the engine would rev up. the clutch was slipping and I could not believe it as I only have 25000 kms on it .All the mechanic's I talk to said to either put stronger spings in or change the clutch frictions.. one asked me if I was using car motor oil and I said no I'm using mobil 1 v-twin motorcycle oil. I went back to the kawi dealer and they were no help in the service dept as they wanted to change the clutch to .. So I went up to the parts counter and ask them how much for a clutch as I will do it myself and Mike there ask me why your bike is to new to have the clutch gone so I told him what was happening .Mike told me to to take out the mobil oil and put in Motul v-twin as he said the mobil is to slippery of a synthetic and it will make your clutch slip..I only had 1200 kms on the mobil oil to. well i thought what the hell I will try it before i change the clutch .To my surprise I took it out and rode it hard up the hills where it was always slipping on me and now its not slipping anymore .. go figure !! One smart parts guy thanks Mike.. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
V 2win
444 Posts
Been running mobil1 car oil for 3 years no slipping. I use car 15-50

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run mobile 1 20/50 and have not had any trouble. There has been posts on here of some clutch slipping on that oil, and the fix was to switch brands.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a similar problem on one of my bikes a few years ago. I used some Sea Foam in the oil. Sea Foam will clean the carbon off your internal engine parts and will especially clean the carbon off your clutch plates so they grip much better. I now do this every spring before I change the oil for the riding season. If interested, add 1 1/2 oz of Sea Foam per quart of oil then ride no less than 50 miles and no more than 100 miles. Immediately change your oil and filter. I use Shell Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic ($19.50/gallon at Walmart) and a Purolator PL 14612 oil filter for my 03 1500 Classic.

Sea Foam does a remarkable job cleaning the engine. The first time I did this the engine had four quarts of fresh oil (for winter storage after dropping the oil from the last riding season). The before oil was new honey gold color. After riding about 45 miles I could feel the clutch "tighten" up and it started to have much more grip. When I got home the oil was black from internal engine carbon build-up and looked like it had 5000 miles on it instead of 65.

I have never had a problem using Sea Foam in either the engine oil (following their instructions) or as a fuel additive to clean the fuel system. I also use Sea Foam as a fuel stabilizer in the winter with great results. I think Sea Foam is a great product worth looking into.

Here's to a new riding season. Ride safe!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a big fan of Rotella 15W40 as well. I use this in my Dodge 3500 6.7 liter diesel in the warmer months and because I tow a travel trailer a lot in the summer. I do use the Rotella T synthetic 5W40 in the truck for the winter for its cold flow ability. It's gets downright nasty cold here in Omaha in the winter!

I've been using the Rotella T synthetic 5W40 in my Kawasaki bikes for about 10 years with no problems. In fact, the newest version of Shell Rotella T is called T6 and has the JASO MA stamp on the back of the bottle. I don't think $19.50/ gallon is bad at all for a synthetic. And when you consider how expensive motorcycle specific oil can be by the quart it's a steal.

Regards,

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts