Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used the Haynes manual with my cars before but not with motorcycles. The manuals seemed to have all the info that was needed. For a bike I would recomend a factory service manual. You can order them from your dealer for about $40. They cover everything. Any of the three options should work though.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Manuals

I have a Clymers Manual and a Kawasaki Service manual. The Kawasaki Service manual is the best. However, like one of our fellow forum friends found further frames in full...color. I like the color, but the Clymers manual for my bike is NOT specific to my bike it covers several models, whereas the Kawasaki manual is for just my model...I also found the Kaw manual has exact color and schematic drawings, including the Canadian version of the same model. Evidently the rest of the bike was the same...
In short, start with the Kawasaki Service Manual, available at Beartooth Kawasaki with a discount 1 800 556 3098...and some other manual somewhere else...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree that the factory manual is a must. You can supplement with one or both of the others. If you do your own work getting all three would pay for themselves the 1st time. :D

I did my 600 mile service for less than $50, the dealer wanted $260. For the difference the manual is paid for and a few tools to boot. I get to keep the tools for the next service. :D

I have the added satisfaction that I did the service right and didn't leave out the drain plug gasket, used good oil and filter, and didn't leave any bolts or nuts loose. Also, it's an excellent way to get to know your ride better and I didn't have to wait around for it. I knew where it was. :lol:

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Buy your service manual first and if you have extra money get the Haynes. When I have to work on something i grab my service manual and then check the Haynes, if I still don't get it I reach for my Clymer. The Haynes and Clymer for my bike had additional models covered vs my service manual covers just my bike which is nice when you are trying to figure out what part is supposed to be adjusted and what does it look like?

The workshop tips, model history, wiring diagrams and pre-ride checks in the Haynes are nice too! Torque settings are much easier to look for and the fault finding section is helpful as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ipscshooter said:
I agree that the factory manual is a must. You can supplement with one or both of the others. If you do your own work getting all three would pay for themselves the 1st time. :D

I did my 600 mile service for less than $50, the dealer wanted $260. For the difference the manual is paid for and a few tools to boot. I get to keep the tools for the next service.
What he said.
Curt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts