Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the stock pipes on my VN900 custom, undecided whether to go for the Cobra dragster or the V & H slash cut staggered's. Lots of sound clips for the cobra's and i think they sound awesome but like the V & H staggereds, does anyone have the staggereds and what other components do i need??

Cheers

Sid

·
900 Custom Owner
46 Posts
I have the V&N shashcut staggereds on my 900 custom. I really like the pipes. It has a little more rip sound to it over stock (maybe 25-35% louder). It has a nice sleek profile on the bike and they are very well made. Price is great as well. The sound clips on youtube do not do the pipes justice.

The pipes came with everything I needed to install them. It took me about 2 hours and I was taking my time to do it right. The only thing I did a little different than the instructions was to leave the heat shields a little loose when installing the pipes to make it easy to attach to the engine.

I noticed I have a little more attitude when I ride now. Gotta love that sound. If you want some pictures, I am sure I could dig some up.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I like the Dragsters for your bike. The V&H are more similar to the stock pipes than the Cobra's, so getting the Cobra's would be a more "custom" look for your VN900Custom. I also think they're more bad-*** looking! :)

My $.02,
DS

·
Registered
554 Posts
Were your stock pipes debaffled?

I have the V&N shashcut staggereds on my 900 custom. I really like the pipes. It has a little more rip sound to it over stock (maybe 25-35% louder). It has a nice sleek profile on the bike and they are very well made. Price is great as well. The sound clips on youtube do not do the pipes justice.

The pipes came with everything I needed to install them. It took me about 2 hours and I was taking my time to do it right. The only thing I did a little different than the instructions was to leave the heat shields a little loose when installing the pipes to make it easy to attach to the engine.

I noticed I have a little more attitude when I ride now. Gotta love that sound. If you want some pictures, I am sure I could dig some up.
I debafle mine and they gave me about maybe 25% more sound than than stock but again is not so toned. I too like the V&H pipes so I'm trying to compare the sound with the competition.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Were your stock pipes debaffled?

I debafle mine and they gave me about maybe 25% more sound than the stock but again the sound is not so tuned especially in the low gears. I too like the V&H pipes so I'm trying to compare the sound with the competition.

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
i have had V&H / Cobra pipes on my previous Vulcans in the past & currently have Cobras on my 1600 Classic , IMO the V&H are slightly more quite than the Cobras . buy based on the look you are after , both pipes will perform & look well .. :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
personal choice mate but you can look at the V&H staggered on my meanie in the show off section of this site if you want to see some on. I disagree with mean1 about the V&H being not as loud as the cobras in fact i would say after putting my bike side by side with one with cobras on that mine was a lot louder.This is not bragging as loud may not be your thing. The reason i went with V&H is apart from really liking the look and the cross chamber thing is every man and his dog has cobras. My brother onced worked for team moto and told me that it is standard practice for the dealer is to recommend cobras. There is nothing wrong with cobras but I thought you might like to hear my thoughts on the comparison 'tween the two. As for extra kit you will find that initially you can buy the pipes and stick em on but this will effect the running of the bike it will tend to be on the lean side so be prepared to add an air intake mod whether it be cadman,BAK,or whatever and a fuel management system again you have choices from piggy backs like cobra kits and dobeck tfi or you can replace the ecu altogether with the all singing/dancing- power commander111 (in my opinion overkill for a cruiser unless your hell bent on top speed). So heres how i went in stages 1: put V&H bigshot staggered on 2: put ausair kit on 3: put dobeck tfi on. I can honestly say that once you put that air/fuel combination on, your bike will breath a sigh of relief and run smooth economical and powerful. I have found more sound advice through guys with differing opinions on sites like these than any sales orientated bike shop. ok that was long so I'll say that was my 95 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Cobra Dragsters on my VN900 custom. The pipes are loud but not too loud. I’m able to ride out of my community without any of my neighbors calling the HOA on me. I really LOVE the rumble from them. I’ve never heard the V&H pipes so I can’t make a comparison.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tryin to figure this exhaust thing out as well. Just puchased my VN900C and know that I want more noise. After reading all the post on this, still confused as to whether to go with V&H or Cobra. Question: Can I debaffle myself or can I order the pipes already debaffled? Thanks, Darrell

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Changing the stock pipes on my VN900 custom, undecided whether to go for the Cobra dragster or the V & H slash cut staggered's. Lots of sound clips for the cobra's and i think they sound awesome but like the V & H staggereds, does anyone have the staggereds and what other components do i need??

Cheers

Sid
From what I've gleamed, the V&H doesn't have a Lifetime warranty on the chrome. Something you might want to consider too.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts