Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started the install of my Cobra Speedster Longs on my 2007 900. I have posted some pics but my camera started to mess up. Worked great on macro but not so good in normal mode. Plus my helper had to go to bed and it is 19 degrees outside (too cold to test ride) so I stopped with the header pipes and bracket installed. I will use a different camara tomorrow and post the finished product. BTW I fired her up with just the header pipes OUCH! Maybe it's because of my garage but I'm glad I did not buy the dragsters.

Stock pipes

Stockers removed

Conner removing the stock bracket

Kawasaki (Left) vs Cobra pipe size

The tale of the caliper Stock 29mm (1.25"<>)

Cobra 39mm (1.5<>)

Header pipes and muffler bracket on. Bed time for my helper. (Plus it's too **** cold to ride (19 degrees) if I did finish tonight.

Hope you enjoy, sorry about the pics, time to replace the old Fugi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice pics- thanks for posting.
I'm having my Speedster Longs installed next Tuesday-can't wait!
Are you installing the FI2000 processor as well?

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!!! The difference between stock and Cobra are intersting!!!

I see you have a junior mechanic in training!!! That is SO WONDERFUL!!!! :biggrin:

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pics- thanks for posting.
I'm having my Speedster Longs installed next Tuesday-can't wait!
Are you installing the FI2000 processor as well?
The short anwser is yes. I am installing the pipes first, then rolling off a tank or two to check mileage. Then my FI2000, another tank or two, then the big air kit. Just to see the effects on mileage and feel (power). I currently get between 48-55 mpg depending on my riding styles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The short anwser is yes. I am installing the pipes first, then rolling off a tank or two to check mileage. Then my FI2000, another tank or two, then the big air kit. Just to see the effects on mileage and feel (power). I currently get between 48-55 mpg depending on my riding styles.
I am going to go ahead and have the pipes and the 2000R installed. I asked the service rep about the air filter and he said the stock element was "high-flow" enough. I'll try it a while and then maybe add a K&N. I really don'e want to replace the air box totally unless I have to.........

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to go ahead and have the pipes and the 2000R installed. I asked the service rep about the air filter and he said the stock element was "high-flow" enough. I'll try it a while and then maybe add a K&N. I really don'e want to replace the air box totally unless I have to.........
Interesting. I was told the pipes alone do not require the FI2000 but you could gain some performance with some tweaking. But the stock air box is very restrictive and changing to a high flow box requires a fi or a power commander to achive the max efficiency. Everybody has a opinion!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Interesting. I was told the pipes alone do not require the FI2000 but you could gain some performance with some tweaking. But the stock air box is very restrictive and changing to a high flow box requires a fi or a power commander to achive the max efficiency. Everybody has a opinion!
Yup - pipes only; no need for a fuel processor.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New camera,new pics!

looking good, any more progress?
Yes I finished them tonight. They sound awesome. and look great. Hope to ride this weekend and post some video -w- sound.

·
Registered
143 Posts
excellent, they look awesome. I'm glad you had more luck with them than I did. Make sure you get some sort of aftermarket intake now and a fuel management box so you're not running too rich or lean with the new setup; oh and it'll up your pony count too. ;)

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Very nice. Fit the lines of the bike much better than the stockers IMHO.

... you're much younger than I would have guessed, though, Sierra... :lol:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Looking good!
Save your processor money until you're ready for the intake.

If you go for the Cobra FI2000r it seems to be too rich from the factory on the first pod. Most of us have dialed it back to #2 from the factory setting of #4 due to the smell of gas either sitting on it, or from people following and catching your exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have started the install of my Cobra Speedster Longs on my 2007 900. I have posted some pics but my camera started to mess up. Worked great on macro but not so good in normal mode. Plus my helper had to go to bed and it is 19 degrees outside (too cold to test ride) so I stopped with the header pipes and bracket installed. I will use a different camara tomorrow and post the finished product. BTW I fired her up with just the header pipes OUCH! Maybe it's because of my garage but I'm glad I did not buy the dragsters.
Stockers removed

Conner removing the stock bracket
Header pipes and muffler bracket on. Bed time for my helper. (Plus it's too **** cold to ride (19 degrees) if I did finish tonight.

Hope you enjoy, sorry about the pics, time to replace the old Fugi.
Dude!!! You kids are riding at earlier ages every day! Does youor old man know you're working on his bike ?!?!

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Looking really nice then I am kind of biased. I have basically the same set up you are going for. After you get your fi processor and air kit on the tone of your pipes will change for the better and the engine will run so much easier at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Congrats on the Longs...they do sound great! Enjoy the rumble.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts