Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I live up in Canada and winter is soon to come :( . Question is, it is my first year having my bike. I live in a condo, therefore I built myself a shed to put my bike in it for the summer (dont wanna get robbed!!). Anywho, now winter is coming. I dont have a garage. Should I find a garage to put it in or is the bike OK in the shed, even if it reaches -20 degrees celcius? Can my engine or any part of my bike get damaged if it is in the shed (no snow will touch it, it will stay dry) but it is really cold, below freezing. If any of you know....please let me know! Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Try and keep the tires off of the ground (prevent rot) drain the coolant system and make sure you put fresh oil in the bike. You don't have to put good oil, just cheapie stuff. Don't even change the oil filter.

When spring comes you'll need to check plenty of things, but you should be alright as long as you prep everything correctly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Freakinout said:
Try and keep the tires off of the ground (prevent rot)
Yeah, that's a nice idea. But if you're planning to wear out your tires before they get a chance to rot, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Freakinout said:
drain the coolant system
Or change it with fresh 70% coolant/30% water. That ratio gives you the best freeze protection.
Freakinout said:
and make sure you put fresh oil in the bike.
Definitely do that. Used oil builds up acids that eat the metals of the engine. It's good to change the oil as part of your winterization. I think that if you change it in the fall, then there's no reason to change it in the spring.

Lube your chain so it doesn't rust.

And the most important thing of all: drain all the fuel (tank and carbs), or at least use Sta-bil.

If you do the things above, you should be fine for cold storage. Our winter lows are about -30F, sometimes colder. I keep my bike in a heated garage, but most people here use cold storage.

If you want to really get serious, you can do a few more things. Take off the gas tank and coat the inside with motor oil. Coat the cylinders with fogging oil. Remove the battery, and give it a trickle charge every couple of weeks. Bag the mufflers to keep moisture out.

In the spring you'll want to lube everything and check your tires.

I know how you feel about winter. We barely broke 70 last week. It's nice weather, but this is supposed to be August.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
storage

Dave, if you have a great shed you could get some insulation, and then toss in an infared heater, or any small heater. I used a small electric heater in my RV every year when I had it to prevent pipes and things from freezing. If the shed is fairly airtight you can even use a trouble light with a 60Watt bulb in it. The heat off the bulb will keep the bike from freezing and should keep any mositure out of the air. At least you shave some time to prepare for winter...although we've been getting some lower 50F here evenings in Kansas. In the winter My car sets in the barn with a blanket over the hood and a 60W trouble light under the car. the heat off of the bulb allows hte oil and engine bay to stay somewhat warmer and start easier in the dark of morning. I just unplug the light when I get ready to leave and then plug it back in when I park the cart again, leaving it on the ground the entire time...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I have a little bit before I have to put the bike away, so I will figure out what to do with it. And Curt, I know what you mean. They call this august...this for us is far from august. When I have to wear a sweatshirt outside just to be warm enough, in august, something is wrong. Weird to say, Im majoring in Biology and we talk about global warming and we have proof it is happening, yet Im not seeing the effects!!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CONDO

Now if you only lived in a downsairs condo and had a wide enough doorway....you could put cardboard down, or extra carpeting or a plastic runner down or all the above...and keep it not only warm and safe, but polish out the aluminum to a mirror like finish and do all sorts of things to it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that idea sounds good!! Keep it inside...hahahha...if ever I could manage that, it would be awesome! And as for "whats winter". :lol: . Its a fun but frustrating (for my bike) season. Ohh, for my car also!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Winter Storage

From my own experience, with mice trying to find a home, remove the seat and keep it inside, bag the pipes but put some aluminium screen in first, take the battery out and trickle charge it over the winter. Plus all the point already listed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
Daveitaly said:
Hey everyone.
I live up in Canada and winter is soon to come
Dave
What's Winter? :? :lol: :lol:
Now now... let's go easy on the poor guy ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Aikata!! A little support here. Im sure im not the only Canuck in here.... or am I?!?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lucky you! Maybe I should simply relocate to florida for winter...then I could drive my baby :lol: . But hey, school is keeping me here for now...so maybe one day!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HOT LIME GREEN!

Hi Visability, and a pretty decent color, too! Kawasaki should do a bike a "Special Paint" for a couple of years...just for the market to have something to play with. I like it!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COLD, COLD, Winter

I'm looking Forward to AZ! Then If I need a taste of CCW, I can jump on the Weather Bug, and then on site to see who is where and just how cold things are. Making a trip to the airport is easy. When I left Hawaii and came home one year I was carrying a Goretex Jacket, Thermal underwear, even my Sorrells boots, just what was called for that winter day when I arived here in Kansas. We nearly didn't get to land, and it would have been an adventure if we hadn't, but it was seriously cold (for Kansas (-12F) with the windchill about (-40F). It warmed up to nearly the freezing point during my stay, but the snow and ice was solid. Getting back to Hawaii was great. SO, IF you get really cold up North or really need the cold for those of you up north...just take a 3 day weekend and go for it. AZ has some great roads to ride. I have seen several times that you couldn't ride ther but it was because it was raining so hard or the sand was blasting you off of the highways...but then again we all have some types of weather to slow us down. Last night a Tornado was just north of us..and he had nearly 8" of rain...ans some parts of I-70 were closed...in the KC area we had the Tornado out south near us and water took out, left big gapping rips out of roads, even left one power pole about a half mile from here hanging from its wires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: COLD, COLD, Winter

ZX-2R said:
. . . airport . . . Hawaii . . . seriously cold . . . snow and ice . . .
In 1995 my brother-in-law took a January vacation in Hawaii. After ten days of sunny 80F weather every day, he came home. The day he came back it was 35 below zero. And that doesn't count the wind chill. He got a 115 degree drop in a day. Now that's some weather!
Curt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts