Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of altering, changing, and modifications do you guys do when the cold season comes about?

JaMEs thanks

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Not much untill about the end of October. Then I tuck my baby in for the winter. Change the oil, drain the gas etc... I make sure to visit her once in a while. She gets sooooo lonely. *sniff*

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If you are going to ride then get yourself some good cold weather gear. I mostly stick with my regular leathers and have more layers on underneath them.

if you aren't going to ride then you need to winterize the bike.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I pretty much do the same thing as Green Knight. My baby's going up for winter storage at the end of the week. With school, the weather going cold, and the weekends being shot, She'll be going into hibernation early.

It was 31 degrees F this morning. No more driving the bike to work in the mornings. :cry:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Winter is a good time to do maintenance and mods. A couple of maintenance jobs that I didn't do last winter, but will do this winter, is changing my coolant and adjusting the valves. I'll also play around with some mods, like LED's and sprockets.

We've had plenty of temps in the 30's, and a few below freezing, but I'm still riding anyway.

I'll bet that in San Fran you can ride year round if you want to.
Curt

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
yoassizmine said:
what do you do when winterizing the bike?
You won't have to winterize your bike unless you are not going to ride it when it starts to get cooler. Last year I had 52 weeks of riding. Keep in mind that I took my bike out the first sign it wasn't going to rain and got fooled a couple of times(brrr cold)

One thing I recommend you doing is keeping your bike on a battery tender. It will trickle charge your battery without frying it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats a battery tender where can i get one of these? and cost?

thank you

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Battery tender is a low charging battery charger made specifically for motorcycles. You hook it up to your battery - open up the vent caps if you have a non-sealed battery and it keeps your battery optimum.

All dealers will sell them for about 40.00 depending on which model you get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had someone reccomend removing the battery, and keeping it in a warmer location. would you need the trickle charger if the bike was started once a month, or every other week?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Misconception by bike owners is that if I start my motorcycle the battery won't die. Your electrical system does not charge enough at low rpms to give the battery enough juice to be happy. Each system is different, but you probably will need over 5000 rpms to get a 13 - 14amp charge going.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a car that wouldn't charge the battery at idle. But I get 14.15V on my Ninja 250R at idle. Still, winterizing the bike is a much better option than starting it every now and then.
Curt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what would be a good type of model for a battery tender?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I recommend one that automatically keeps your battery at full charge etc. Also, keep the battery in a well ventilated area and off concrete.

If you leave a battery in your bike and it is stored outside, you run the risk of freezing the battery, it cracks/explodes, getting acid on the paint blah, blah, blah.

I've been using this method for years. Take your battery out in the spring and start it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
these battery tenders are recommened for when the cold season begins right?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can use them year round....

I plug mine in once a month just to give it some extra go power as part of my maintenance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts