Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly, "embaressing" question....
Its been raining here for awhile, and I was out of town for the holidays, blah, blah, blah....I have'nt been on my bike over a month!!
Should I at least start it and get the juices flowing? Be sure he is still alive? I don't want to be ready for a ride and the bike be dead!!!

Thanks
Kelly aka NinjaGirl (Moderator)
2004 Ninja 500R

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey kelly,

i'd fire the bike up and run it for a little bit for a couple of reasons.

1. Charges your battery.
2. Keeps the oil coating the cylinders cause over time everything just
to the oil sump (bottom) and you have no more coating of oil up top.
Thats why some people like to ride daily etc etc and also why some like
synthetic oils as it tends to cover the cylinders when you have the least
amount of protection which is turning over your engine. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
My bike is inside all winter but still I start it up usually once a week. Some say your just fouling the plugs but hey, Ill put new ones in come spring. I want to move the fuel in the lines, splash the oil around a little, maybe chase that mouse out of the exhaust pipe. As for the battery? well your probably going to take more juice out of it by starting it than your going to put back in running it for 10 minuets but you should be trickle charging it every few days anyway. Run it. Bring it up to operating temperature and shut it down. Ever stay in bed too long? Its harder to get up and about.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I do the same as Knightrider. I go out and start my bike up once a week. I like to do it on a day that its 30 + degrees out so its easyer to start but if there isn't one I'll do it anyway. I let it run to opperating temp and then let it idle for about 10 min after that to make sure all the moisture gets evaporated or it'll just freeze up or rust it. You won't have the freezing problem down there though.

I tell ya though Ninjagirl, I'd kill for a day above 50 degrees right now. To much of this white stuff right now :(. I bet I'm on the road before anyone up here gets their bikes out though :). Everyone here thinks I'm crazy to be out riding when its so cold.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
From the Valley of the Sun / with rain....Seen that before as the water runs in the streets and causes flooding like crazy. I remember seeing the water level almost to the top of the overpass on the freeway down by Mcdowell years ago. :shock:

Looks like you just need to hear it fire up....isn't that good enough reason to start it? :)

Charge it as needed with a battery tender when not in use and choose if you want it to load up by idiling or throw on some rain gear and do a little spin around the neighborhood. Then you can spend even more time admiring it as you wipe it down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm going to go against everyone so far... don't start the bike. It may do more harm than good for these reasons:
1. If you don't get it completely warmed up, it will cause additional condensation in the oil (bad - it can eat away at your engine)
2. It won't charge the battery very well unless you actually ride the bike. Bike's stators don't produce enough power at idle to charge the battery.
3. Unless you get it properly warmed up, you are much more likely to foul the plugs.

My solution: disconnect the battery and charge it once a month or so with a trickle charger. It's worked fine for me over 5 or so seasons. You don't have to go out in the cold and mess with it that way either.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the input...I will make a point to "fire it up" or at least go for a ride around the block or two!

·
Registered
305 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
Thanks everyone for the input...I will make a point to "fire it up" or at least go for a ride around the block or two!
That's what I do. Just ride up and down the street enough to make the neighbors look out their windows and then shut 'er down.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
PITBULL wrote
Bike's stators don't produce enough power at idle to charge the battery.
That is not always accurate. The newer 1500s, including mine, will charge the battery at idle. For example, the 1500 has two alternators and, at 950 RPM, show 14.5 volts at idle at the battery terminals. Therefore, there is sufficient voltage to drive some charging current. How long you operate it may leave a deficit, but it's not for lack of ability to charge the big Vulcans.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It makes me smile when I know someone gets to ride their bike while mine sits idle in the garage due to "winter weather". ;)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
smile away whistle, i was out on 3 occassions in the past 10 days for a total of a near butt numbing 60 miles, well one was just around the neighborhood twice to ease the withdrawls but that still couts doesn't it?

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I use a battery tender when I know my bike isn't going to be running for more than a couple of weeks to keep the battery charged And maybe some fuel stablizer and marvel mystery oil in the the crank. At least that's how I put my bike up for winter. haven't had a problem yet.

But for just not running for a month, I'd just throw the battery on a charger with trickle-charge and leave it at that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Gal; You don't ride in the rain ?
Heck, as they say, being in the Pacific Northwest, "that's the only way to ride"

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
spok said:
smile away whistle, i was out on 3 occassions in the past 10 days for a total of a near butt numbing 60 miles, well one was just around the neighborhood twice to ease the withdrawls but that still couts doesn't it?

:):):):):)

My face is starting to hurt.

Good for you spok.....We have about 5 inches of snow and 4 deer just ran through our front yard. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm going to get the bike out of the garage and start it up and try to do a couple of laps around the neighboorhood.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i just enjoy reading all the sly remarks etc .. i ain't puttin my bike up. just wear more layers. doesn't really get cold here tho, maybe 20's at night sometimes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I park my bike in a small shed and have a little space heater I use to warm the bike up. I'll put it on high about an hour before I start it up. I'm still riding right now, even though I'm in Canada (though we just had a rare blizzard roll through) ;(

So I recommend using space heaters to warm the bike up before you start it. With this procedure, I don't even need to use the choke...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey there Ninga!Yeah,you really need to take the ole bike for a lil ride instead of just cranking up and letting him just sit there and idle! Yeah,i know its cold,but it does the bike good just to roll,change some gears,rev up the engine,work the levers,brakes,etc. See,its not just running the engine that counts!! Ninga,its 72 degrees here in North Carolina,I'll just come get your bike and store it here(add ride it)till summer! Tell me how to get there! Kenny in NC.......

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ningagirl,its not cold in the"valley of the sun"!!!Just wet,Right? Kenny again.....

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tobydawg said:
That's what I do. Just ride up and down the street enough to make the neighbors look out their windows and then shut 'er down.
:lol: :lol:

Especially with the new exhaust....that'll get them to look!!!

Its overcast...supposed to rain, I don't have a comfort level riding in the rain, I will try and get the bike out for a quick spin this weekend.....
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!!

Have a good weekend.....Ride Hard, Ride Safe. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts