Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quicky for the guys in the know,

i really don t wanna set the bike up twice but i think i like riden too much
i live out on long island in NY and we get the extremes(hot summer/cold winter) short of having 2 toys one for each, what would a good lube for each
season be, or, would type f carry both and i just have to jet accordingly
almost sounds easier to set one up for [fall ,winter] and one [spring ,summer]

thanks
D

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
ATF type F works fine in the winter and summer. Jetting is the only thing you really need to worry about. I dont usually end up changing out jets, but I adjust the air screw when the temp changes by more than 10*F.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bud,
thats what i thought but its been a while,
do you have a preference on the "F" or
is it whats on sale
thanks again
D

·
Registered
60 Posts
What type of prep do you do when useing type F.
Just drain the oil then add ATF or do you somehow flush the system then fill

Cause I'm switching to ATF soon

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Warm the bike up and ride around a bit, drain the oil out, and refill. You dont kneed to do anything special when you switch between 10w-40 and ATF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
10W-40 = junk oil unless it's Synthetic. I use Castrol 0W30 made in Germany sold at Autozone. It's awesome in just about anything, runs ~$5 a quart and you can run it 3 or 4 races or all season in a trail bike. Tranny or Engine, doesn't matter. It's also thick for a 30 weight almost to 40W specs. It would be just the ticket for the extreme temperatures you are speaking of (not really that extreme compared to Montana).
Do a google for German Castrol and you will learn much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK. I guess this is wrong info I have below then (I tend not to argue with chemists who work in the lube industry):

from www.BurgmanUSA.com :: View topic - Is it okay to use synthetic oil? (What type should I use?)

Conventional 10w-40 oil has a viscosity range of 30 (40-10). Same as 20w-50. But to get the 10w-40 viscosity requires adding more viscosity improver (VI) polymers than for 20w-50 oil. So what? It means that 10w-40 conventional oil has less oil in a liter than does 20w-50. Less oil to lubricate. Which is why GM stopped recommending 10w-40 oil after finding a lot of engine problems with it. the following are a start on the topic:
BMCNO Motor Oil 101
all_oilfaq_v1.2
Pelican Technical Article: Street Dyno

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oil brand IMO is just ones preference. Most tranny failures are cuased by misuse(not using clutch,slamming in gear to shut off,metal fatigue, abuse).As long as one keeps it full and clean, most will never have a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
brand yes, viscosity no. That is application specific, that's why bike manufacturers (car makers too) recommend a specific weight vs temp. scale. It's in every owners manual that I have ever looked at. The original poster asked what oil TYPE would suit his/her season requirements. Some oils are thinner in cold weather and thicker in warm weather, thus my 0W30 syn. recommendation was an all year round oil that meets or exceeds the need.

Also, I have never read where Kawasaki recommends ATF in the transmission in any bike...someone tell me how that recommendation came about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
here ya go: ATF - Would you use it in your 2 stroke transmission? (A good ol' debate) - ThumperTalk

kargo27
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Excellent input from everyone!

OK, so far we've determined by your posts that ATF-F:
1) Seems to be best for clutch operation but....
2) Gear oil/motor oil is better for shifting.
3) Shear strength for ATF is great, so that means it's good for lubing the gears.
4) ATF is also good for cleaning out the gearbox.
5) ATF needs to be changed out often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HOLY SH$t
calm down my brothas, im going Type f any ways

WHY?

because i ve gone belray for years back in the day and i abused
the heck out of my rides and paid the price,
Now after being out of it for so long i have a similar toy and i have the chance/choice to do the same thing to it and make a comparison,
i don t race, i beat the snot out of it, to me thats a great test

its all @ the fun--if it blows--guess what i ll buy another--aint
that what its all about---HAVING FUN?

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts