Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas, and ride my 2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI everywhere, all year long. Have been for almost 5 years now. I have a few buddies who are Goldwing riders who tell me that I am not a true rider since I don't get my bike out once a month and put it away for the winter. I just laugh at them.

But I am wondering what special maintenance might need to be done to ride in 30 degree weather, and below? This year the temperature has been below 25 degrees quite a few times, and I have noticed a sluggishness in starting. A few times ( 3 or 4 ) to the point that it drains the battery down to the point of needing to be recharge ( I believe I need a new battery anyway because 10 seconds of trying to start should not drain it that much ).

Most times in this weather, it rolls over once then starts without a problem. But like I said, a few times, it has not started immediately. These times it takes up to 10 seconds to start, or the battery drains.

What should I be looking for? What do I need to do for the future?

Oh, FYI, the bike stays outside all the time, though covered. I don't have a garage to put it in at night.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You could run a lighter weight oil during the cold months. That should help some with the cold weather startups. If you make short rides the bikes charging system doesn't have time to recharge the battery back to full. Keeping a float/maintenance charger on your battery would ensure the battery always had peek charge.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
make sure your coolant is healthy and fresh

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
also tire pressures reduce more in significant cold, so verify your tire pressures

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
All excellent advice, and mirrors what I would say. When I commuted in CONNECTICUT all winter on my CB750, I switched to a lighter grade oil and put my trickle charger on a light timer. (because Battery Tenders weren't invented) 26 miles each way it went fine. Half the winter, I didn't even have a charging system. Although I maintained my battery like Kate Beckinsale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys!!!

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about the oil, but the other where items that I was already thinking about. As well as changing to a newer air filter.

I found that when riding on a foggy day, I would have problems the next morning because my air filter was moist and partially frozen. And when it started the exhaust would be white for awhile.

Thanks to all. I will keep checking back to see if anyone has any other advice.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
lighter weight oil is the only thing I can think of, but check the temp ranges for them, because i'd bet that the 10w40 is good down to zero or something like that.

When I lived in TX and here in NC, I just ride mine all the time too.

Perhaps a battery tender to make sure it turns over well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts