Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some ideas for riding in 30 degree weather. I know that isn't cold for some of you but being used to riding in FL it is cold. I need to buy something to keep my legs warm without having to put on more than thermal pants and blue jeans. I already have a leather jacket, FF helmet, wool socks, and good gloves so I am only concerned about my legs. Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lightweight thermal pants and a rain shell that can go on over your pants without taking off your boots will work well. It will help immensely if you can get something that will stay down over your ankles in the riding position. On a long trip I'll put on a pair of gaiters to ensure my ankles are always covered. If you can afford it, a pair of FirstGear's HT Overpants are fantastic.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I know you said you don't want an over pant, but let me tell ya. If you get one they come off every easily and add a great deal of warmth and protection. I use mine every monring no matter what the temperature. That way if I hit heavy fog, which happens, I stay dry too.

If nothing else a good quality rain pant can make a huge difference too. It will block the wind from getting to you.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thermal cycling tights under my leathers, snowboarding salopettes over my leathers.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Layers underneath and wind proof on the top is how I like to do it. If you cut the wind it's easy to stay warm. I'll 2nd the overpants- water and wind proof. You can get buy with a pair of jeans underneath some good overpants and stay warm. I've ridden to work in the mid 20's on the interstate dressed that way and was fine. I wouldn't want to do a 200 mile ride like that but it was bearable and good enough to get to my destination.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Lightweight thermal pants and a rain shell that can go on over your pants without taking off your boots will work well. It will help immensely if you can get something that will stay down over your ankles in the riding position. On a long trip I'll put on a pair of gaiters to ensure my ankles are always covered. If you can afford it, a pair of FirstGear's HT Overpants are fantastic.
I like the gaiters idea

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Yeah, I use Tourmaster Caliber pants...very warm, easy to take off over boots. I tried heated chaps under my jeans, and found that was only good to about 50 degrees...you just have to block the wind with something.

I have ridden down to about 20 F, and with heated vest/pants/gloves, a leather jacket, the caliber pants, and a pair of sweatshirts, I was toasty warm for the hour and 40 minutes I rode in it (average speed about 65 mph).

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
See my post from yesterday about riding all winter. Get heated gear and ride in comfort at about any temp. It is light weight and very effective. I have had mine down to 10 degrees and remained toasty warm. Why suffer when for less than a set of pipes you can stay comfortable all the time.
Bubba hit it square on the head. Overpants work great and are very easy on/off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
See my post from yesterday about riding all winter. Get heated gear and ride in comfort at about any temp. It is light weight and very effective. I have had mine down to 10 degrees and remained toasty warm. Why suffer when for less than a set of pipes you can stay comfortable all the time.
Bubba hit it square on the head. Overpants work great and are very easy on/off.
I'm definitely leaning toward heated gear down the road. Short term, though, a good pair of gloves ($50 or less) and appropriate layering can work wonders for minimal investment, especially in the context of the relatively moderate weather at Virginia Beach.

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely leaning toward heated gear down the road. Short term, though, a good pair of gloves ($50 or less) and appropriate layering can work wonders for minimal investment, especially in the context of the relatively moderate weather at Virginia Beach.
I am leaning towards the layering but might get a pair of ski pants if I can find some that are inexpensive. I hope to move to FL next year so I only need them for 1 winter so don't want to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am leaning towards the layering but might get a pair of ski pants if I can find some that are inexpensive. I hope to move to FL next year so I only need them for 1 winter so don't want to spend a lot of money.
Try these. Should be just the ticket to get you through the winter on the cheap. If you check the Amazon reviews here, you'll even see some motorcycle related reviews that appear positive

These plus some long underwear or other light base layer under your work pants should be more than enough for what you'll see this winter at VB.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Finding wind proof gloves is the hardest part. Even ski gloves aren't much good at 60mph. You really need some good riding gloves. I have these Olympia Windtex ones that are pretty nice. I can't wear them if it's over 50 degrees, they roast out your hands, but when it's cold, they work great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
These gloves ($32) work great for sustained rides anywhere above freezing. Lower than that and you will definitely notice some chill in the air. I've used them below 20* for short rides, but would want something more for a long trip.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I road through the desert for several hours with the temps in the high 20-low 30's. Underarmour long underwear, thick leather chaps, heavy leather jacket and sweet****. Rain Gear to keep the wind out and I was fine. Yes good gloves and socks as well and a gaitor, since I was wearing my half helmet.

For short rides less than 30 miles, chaps jacket and rain gear. The rain gear is really important to keep the wind chill off the body. 30 degrees is not that cold when there is no wind eating at you.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I know this is going to sound corny, but up here, the day time temperatures are anywhere from the mid 30's to 50 degrees F at this time of the year. What I've been wearing over a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt, is a black two piece snowmobile suit. The pants zip down each leg, with about 6 snaps on each cuff, with a bib that covers my chest, and it all stays on with suspenders over my shoulders. Then the matching jacket goes over it all. I'm extremely warm regardless of speed or winds. Plus, the suit is waterproof and cuts the wind totally !!! Same thing for the hands. If it weren't for the fact of snow and ice, I could ride my bike all winter in this get up. Trust me, I hate the cold, but I'm as snug as a bug in a rug when riding in these temperatures.
I couldn't ask for warmer gear than this, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a good suit.
Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts