Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back before I found that I was indeed interested in this hobby of sorts, I rode my good ol' 20" bikes all over - in the winter out of necessity; parents have to work. (Yes, I laid it down sideways til stuff scraped - that part of cycles doesn't in the least scare me :D)

Just as a result of riding to school at a pretty good clip in northern temps, I have pretty bad lingering frostbite injuries all over my hands, my knees, parts of my torso, my toes...hands are the worst.

Hands are the most dexterous, necessary, and utterly weak body part you've got, and if you're above the Mason-Dixon line and still ride in cold temps - make absolutely sure that your gloves are good.

Take a good look at those hands, if you're in doubt, and you will see why - they have no insulation, and rough positioning on any bike means that they will encounter cold wind.

Same goes for the other parts listed.

Aerodynamics et al are fine and dandy to argue about, but I thought I was just fine too many times. It's like gear in that respect. Eventually you may not be able to ride. My hands alone barely work in cold temps.

Think about the basic airflow dynamics involved in riding - anything that isn't already thickly shielded through tissue, like your torso, (lot of heat to burn off before you tear it up) is a bad thing.

Any areas stretched out from posture, or potentially taking cold air headon - knees, finger joints - you can expect it to be wrecked right quick without something in front of it, and something good.

Nothing there to start with, and worse - you're not allowing what IS barely there to insulate so good. Your skin's gonna be ruined by the cold, and that's what has all the nerve endings. Those can HURT!

Moral of story, as learned by me: Invest in good gear, weather dependent, and NOT "oh, if I crash while wearing this, I'll be fine" - and you should be okay. Otherwise, expect disastrous results.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
A big part of cold weather riding is layers. Even here in texas I've been known to ride in the mornings when its below 20F (-something C).
I usually wear ski glove liners under my gloves when I'm riding in the really cold. It makes a world of difference.

Another thing that helped me a lot was some dual-star heated grips. They are just heating elements that go under the grips, they are very nice. Even good for when you get stuck riding in the rain.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i usually layer a couple pairs of gloves too. a friend of mine once had a pair of heated gloves, each one powered by a battery pack attatched to the gauntlet. but yeah, a god pair of gloves on a cold morning makes the ride that much more enjoyable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts