Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally thought I may get some parts chromed but it's not really any cheaper. Based on a thread I saw here I've decided to paint some parts on my bike with the color match (Candy Gold Spark)from Color Rite. Does anyone have experience using their aerosol? I do have a HVLP sprayer but I'm only looking at painting the rad frame, rear foot peg brackets and my helmet so buying the base, color and clear coat as an aerosol would be cheaper and given these are "non critical" parts think this might work out. Any Input

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i doubt your gonna get a real good color match with a spray can
the candy colors are pretty spray sensitive,especially the color coat
it might be close enough if the parts are not too close to the factory color
you would be better off with your HVLP gun to get the same look :wink:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I used their aerosol cans (Candy Lime Green) for painting after market plastic component for my ZRX1200. I spoke to their representative to get the exact color match. Candy colors are much more expansive because you are basically doing 3 paint jobs. I was able to match the color close to the stock color but had to spray several coats to match the color the way I wanted because I did not follow the instructions carefully. The spray cans have nozzles that are different from regular spray cans you typically buy - its very high quality nozzle.

However, the painting was not as easy as I thought it would be because the preparation for painting fiberglass was very timing consuming. I had to do alot of wet sanding.

If you are good, you can potentially paint the parts to match exactly the existing color of you bike.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Expected that, you get what you pay for....tx.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would recomend not using spray can paint. First of all they usually don't hold up very well. Any paint that does not involve a catalyst (hardner) is not very durable.

A Candy Color paint job is also known as a 3 stage or tri coat. It envolves a base coat, a tinted clear coat or pearl and then a true clear coat. If you look at my avatar. The flames were painted with silver metallic base coat then several coats of candy apple red concentrate and then clear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, Color Rite Does have a decent match. I have sprayed the color a couple times. The colors I used were a blendable match not perfect but good.

If anyone wanted to spray clearcoat. I would recomend there Aerosol KK7 Urethane Clear Kit KK7 over there regular spray can clear. The KK7 comes with a sprayer and clear hardner.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
When I painted my bike last winter , it also has tangerine candy over base. each time you put a layer of candy on it will get darker so you better have a sample with you when you spray so you can compare as you layer the candy. Plus candies have a tendencie to fade a shade or to lighter over time. Most people don't notice it because the whole job does it at one time. But then again regular paint job's fade over time as well. as far as the spray can ,it will have some hardner in it probably not as much since it's pre mixed. the final clear coat is the important part since you'll want atleast three coat's minimum . That way you'll have enough on to color sand an buff. Don't worry it won't be to tough an you'll enjoy doing it yourself. just make sure the area you plan on painting in is pretty clean ,an you have a pretty good exhaust fan of some sort. The one thing about clearcoat ,as long as you don't get too much dust in it , the color sanding an buffing will take it right out an you'll have a professional job when your done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Silver flake for the 2004 NOMAD is not a great match, more "ok" than great.

The gray on the bike appears a bit darker than Color Rite's OEM paint.. I wonder if I should have wet sanded before I applied the clear coat. Gadget's Fixit page says no as does http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm page.

I sprayed 3 coats of base and then 3 clear (color Rite OEM) then today I wet sanded the clear to get the Orange Peel (now that is gone) and I just hit it with two final clear coats. I will buff then wet sand with 1500 in a week or so thne re-buff with swirl remover..

But I still think I should have sanded between the clear and base!! Does anyone have experience with this? I repaired my left hardbag from the first owners two "divits". It looked like he backed into something in a garage or another bike, neverthless the two spots were full thickness deep and I did a wonderful job fixing and prepping the bag for paint an clear..

AGRRRR!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hit it with another wet 1500 sanding and a "swirl remover" polish buff job and it looks great now.. The Color Rite OEM for the NOMAD is about a 95% good match via "their" spray can.

It looks simply great now!

·
Moto-Nerd
123 Posts
I need to redo my left bag, after getting lightly rear-ended.

My bike is Nocturne Blue & Phantom silver.

Anyhow I went to a pro painter (Jack Foree) who is also a VROC member & he told me that nobody, including Color Rite, can match that Nocturne Blue.

Kawi, of course, does not sell the paint & wants me to buy a new bag for $900. If the paint has faded at all, it won't match either. :(

For that price I can have the entire bike repainted, so I think I'll wait until it gets a few more scratches in it. :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Color Rite is the OEM paint that KAWI uses... Have you been to their website. You should be able to blend the color close enough to look good.. I thought the Phant Silver was way off until I did the final polish with swirl remover.

Is the bad it's self damaged? I had to use some fiberglass resin to fill the divits on the bag door, NO BODY FILLER!

It came out great after my panic was over. I had not done body work for quite some time ( I just pay people now for things like that) and forgot myself when doing this, BUT it came out fine with the help from gadget and the HD man..!

I would buy the OEM base and clear from Color Rite, you may be surprised how close it really is.. Prep is EVERYTHING.. I see we have the same color bikes, NICE!

I took pictures of the process too!

Good luck!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
VIPER66 said:
Color Rite is the OEM paint that KAWI uses... Have you been to their website. You should be able to blend the color close enough to look good..
Just be careful about trying to custom mix to match a color using an LCD monitor for comparison. CRT Monitors are much better at color reproduction.

Another forum member already had a bad experience because of this quirk of LDC Technology.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks Tod but I used the OEM color code off of my bike to get the exact color. They (Color Rite) has the color scheme and the different OEM color codes used for each production year of kawasaki bikes.

It is quite easy to match the color via the codes they provide. I came out great!

Thanks again.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Yeah, they're spot-on for the factory colors. You only have to watch it if you're custom mix/matching colors.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wish I had the professional skill to do a good match. Had it not been for Color Rite I would have sent the bag to a body shop. They saved me $$$. The dealer wanted $415.00 for the bag DOOR ONLY! No way was that going to happen.

·
The Mullet is coming back
1,079 Posts
I do i used it once to paint a Suzuki sport bike fairing for a guy that wanted it installed on a nakid. i have to say it was the worse product i have ever used. It was the electric blue that must go over a white base. Both were color rite products. I applied it per their specs and 2 times in a row the blue reacted with the white. It was crap. I ended up using PPG DP50 white primer sealer and it came out close to perfect. But given that color rite is the best way to acheive a color match without getting your paint matched by a scanner, not many other choices. Good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used all Color Rite products, they work well together. Using products from different companies to paint one project is just asking for "reaction issues".

Good choice with PPG though-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts