Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 VN1500 - Metallic Titanium/Metallic Ocean Blue. I was thinking about getting chrome side covers for it because I just don't really like the black. But I really like the way the Nomad has the side covers painted to match the bike...Candy Fire Red, Metallic Ocean Blue, etc. I think I want my side covers Metallic Ocean blue. I see that Color Rite claims that their paints "aren’t close or similar to the factory color, they ARE the factory color." Are they really? Do they have the metallic "texture" to them? Does the blue almost change color when it's in the sunlight like the factory paint does?

Also, and this is probably a long shot, but do you know of anyone who has actually done this? I'd like to see pics if possible...just to make sure it's what I want.

Thanks all!

·
2007 V2K Classic LT
131 Posts
I ordered the pearl white for my V2K and it was a good match. Make sure and get base coat and clear coat if color requires it or color will not match.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

Color Rite doesn't show that I need a base coat, but they say that in most cases a clear coat is required. Ok. I just went down and talked to a guy who owns a motorcycle repair place...he said he could paint it for about $70 (that's just his price, I'd have to buy the paint of course). He also recommended getting a half pint of paint "in case I ever wanted to touch up the gas tank or fenders." So, I have a few more questions (sorry):

1. Is $70 an OK price for his labor for two side covers?
2. Do I REALLY need a half-pint? Will 2 or 4 ounces work?
3. Could I do this myself using the aerosol products Color Rite sells?
4. Am I over analyzing all this? :) (I AM a cheapskate, after all)

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Color Rite doesn't show that I need a base coat, but they say that in most cases a clear coat is required. Ok. I just went down and talked to a guy who owns a motorcycle repair place...he said he could paint it for about $70 (that's just his price, I'd have to buy the paint of course). He also recommended getting a half pint of paint "in case I ever wanted to touch up the gas tank or fenders." So, I have a few more questions (sorry):

1. Is $70 an OK price for his labor for two side covers?
2. Do I REALLY need a half-pint? Will 2 or 4 ounces work?
3. Could I do this myself using the aerosol products Color Rite sells?
4. Am I over analyzing all this? :) (I AM a cheapskate, after all)

Thanks a ton!
Have it done professionally, that way if it looks bad, he can re-do it! And I shouldn't even be answering paint questions. My bike is Rhino-lined!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike is Rhino-lined!
Yeah, I saw that. That's pretty cool.

Man, by the time I buy the paint, clearcoat, reducer, and have the guy paint it I'm gonna have $200+ into this. Yikes! I was hoping to keep it in the $100 range.:cry: It's looking like this isn't gonna happen...I don't know if I can justify that.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Well, I had to re-paint the right side cover on my MeanStreak due to a self-induced accidental paint removal. Ok, I nailed the sucker with the exhaust while trying to put the stockers back on.

Anyways, I got the color rite paint and clear coat. Painted it, and I almost died. The blue looked like crap. Somehow, i decided to put the clear coat on and see how it looked. It was just about as perfect as you can ask for.

For just your side covers, I would say get the aerosol paints and do it yourself. If it was your tank or fenders, you would want a professional job as any small blemish would stand out. But I think you can get away with it on the side covers.

Make sure you prep the surface properly before painting!!! The quality of the final product is hugely dependant on the prep job you do.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Well, I hope it lasts a while. I've had carpal tunnel surgery, several years ago, lost 8% of my feedback in my right hand and 5% in my left. Whats that mean? I drop things from time to time. Oh, I think they're in my hand, but if I'm not staring at it and verifying with my eyes it isn't necessarily so. Come to think of it, sometimes I can be staring right at it and watch it slip out of my hand. Which is much the case with my gas cap about an hour ago. Nice little chip on the tank. I'm debating between spending 60 bucks on touchup pens OR 60 bucks on a tank bib. Can't verify that the bib will cover the area. I was thinking about a tank bib before, but I don't know what the chipped paint will do.

Well, at least it's broken in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the opinions. At this point I'm kinda leaning towards doing it myself. I'm gonna have to think about it for a while.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions. At this point I'm kinda leaning towards doing it myself. I'm gonna have to think about it for a while.
Paint them yourself. I have been painting cars for years it is not rocket science. The 70 bucks the guy wants to charge you will buy a decent touch up gun, all you need is a air compressor. Buy the 1/2 pint and practice. painting the side covers should be a basic job perfect for a beginner. If the paint is a "Base coat" you will need clear coat(more money). The clear provides the UV protectionfor the base. Ask if you can get your paint in "single stage" this will save you time and money quality paints usually require reducer and hardener typical mix is 4-1-1(paint,reducer,hardener). Have fun.

Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
i painted the ones on my 800 classic a few years ago. They came out prety good, It really made a difference in the looks of the bike. Take your time and like was posted before on the prepping the covers. Good Luck

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i painted the ones on my 800 classic a few years ago. They came out prety good, It really made a difference in the looks of the bike. Take your time and like was posted before on the prepping the covers. Good Luck
Did you use the paint in the aerosol can or the "professional" cans of paint and a sprayer?

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
I talked to one of the guys at T & H auto paints and they will mix up an aersol can with hardener & reducer fo 17.00 bucks> Maybe your local auto paint store does the same. Plenty to do the side covers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The aersol. It matched good. The dealer I bought it from liked it, said that was what Kaw should had done to begin with.
Cool. I think that's what I'll end up doing then, but it'll be a month or two before I attempt it though.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts