Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am taking delivery of my next bike this week. It is a 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic. From reading the forums one of the only/biggest complaints about the Vulcans is the hard seats. I have seen lots of aftermarket seats online, and would love to get some feedback from those of you that have purchased them. Also, I really don't want to break the bank for an upgraded seat if possible. Thanks a bunch for any input.

Flanman

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
The hard or uncomfortable seat situation I think applies mainly to the stock seats of the smaller cruising 500 & 800 Kawi bikes. The stock seats of the big bores I find are actually quite comfortable, and personally I'd keep that money and spend it on some other nice bling you could add to your bike.
I'm not saying the Mustang and Corbin seats aren't worth it, but if I were you, I'd at least give your stock seat some decent saddle time before making the decision based on your own bum's feeling. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
not sure about the bigger bikes having a comfy seat comment. the seat on my 1500 and 2000 were both crap. i've gone mustang and won't go back

i'd say give your seat a try first, see if its a good match to your backside, then decide if you need to replace the plank with a more comfy seat.

i think it all depends on the individual rider

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
not sure about the bigger bikes having a comfy seat comment. the seat on my 1500 and 2000 were both crap. i've gone mustang and won't go back

i'd say give your seat a try first, see if its a good match to your backside, then decide if you need to replace the plank with a more comfy seat.

i think it all depends on the individual rider
Not to be argumentive, but the big bore seats that I've tried were very comfortable in some ways more than the Mustang. I'll agree though that it all depends on your butt, but I really wouldn't call the stock big bore seats a plank unless you're talking about an 800's stock seat.

·
Skullman
115 Posts
I had Mustang on my 1500. great seat. When I bought my V2K rode about 300 miles and ordered the Mustang immediately. The stock was like a brick (and I have a big comfortable butt). Thought about the Corbiin, they actually mold to your shape eventually, but with my experience with Mustang - no complaints.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The seat on my '02 1500 FI was very comfortable, about the same as the Mustang seat. Changed to Mustang because my wife found the stock pillion uncomfortable for more than an hour or so. Pillion on the Mustang is much better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the 1500 Classic stock seat is one of the more comfortable stock seats out there. It runs flatter and doesn't have that "deep scoop" shape (if you know what I mean) to it. And it doesn't tend to slide you forward like so many other stock seats do. Actually I like a firmer seat which I think both the Mustang and Corbins are that compared to most stockers. What I plan to do with my stock seat is get a seat "cover" made for it by a local leather shop where it fits like a glove over the existing seat with a slight bit more pad in the seat part. I want to get about a half to 3/4 inch more height than the stock position because that would give me a little more leg room (I have long legs). It doesn't take much seat change to affect your comfort on a bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The stock seat on my 06 1500 is great, have about 5k in the saddle now and no butt burn, it takes at least two hrs before it lets me know who's boss, by that time its out of fuel and it is the pause that refreshes.

My wife complains about the pillon and like you, Vegas56, will need to have it re-worked into something a bit more comfortable for the mrs to enjoy the great ride I enjoy. Let me know if you find something that works, tried the pro pad but the gel /sheepskin pad is just as hard as stock pillon.

Comfort is a BIG factor when you go tank full to tank full, it is probably the major complaint with people have with Kawasaki's. I would loved to have had an optional upgrade on the seat, yea, I do, its called Mustang or Corbin however the $$ is mucho

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I also had a 1500 Classic and the seat was adequate. On my 06 900LT, it comes with a touring seat which is actually more comfortable than the 1500 ever was. Kawasaki offers a gel seat for the 900, but not sure if it is available for any other models.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I think the stock 1500 seat is very comfy. It's softer, but still firm enough for longer rides. WAY nicer than the stock seat on my C50. I traded that out for a gel seat pretty quick.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
I also have an '06 1500 Classic and am satisfied with the comfort of the stock seat. I would like to have a drivers back rest but the stock seat is more than adequate and my wife has ridden with me on a couple of 2-3 hour rides and has not complained about the passenger seat either.

Charles

·
OPEN ROAD IS CALLING
131 Posts
Very good seat on my 05 1500 cassic. Was part of my reason for
buying this bike. 21,000 miles so far.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts