Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a most wonderful day in the Great Northwest, sunny 55 degress. I made the 25 mile trip on my VN900 to the local Triumph dealer this morning and put a deposit/order on this:

Triumph Motorcycles - Thunderbird

Reportedly 100 Special Editions are coming to the US, they loaded it with about $3k worth of accessories and carnival red special paint. 1600cc parallel twin, 85hp/108 ft/lbs torque (crank), ABS, QR windshield/lowers, driver/passenger floorboards, QR sissy bar/rack, touring seat, leather saddlebags/mounts (will sell and add 3rd party QR hardbags). Adding engine and bag guards, locking gas cap, extended cable kit for adding 3rd party risers.

Now I just need to find some money for Tri-Days in Austria this June.....lol

Tridays

I know as Spok is reading this he is thinking...."crazy old man....."

Steve it looks like I won't be taking it to Red Lodge this year but it should be broke-in for 2011.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Very nice. Hope to see it in person.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Very nice, Roger!! Enjoy!! And post pics when she comes in.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Very cool Roger, glad to see you got it in the correct color ;-)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
WOW Roger...you crazy old man! :)

Congrats on an awesome bike. What a beauty!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triumph TBird SE

Very nice. Hope to see it in person.
Brian this should be a bit nicer for Marilyn the next time she needs a ride. I am glad everybody is getting their new grandkids out in bunches so it does not mess up next year's RL...:)

trikebubble said:
Hey Roger, way to go buddy! Maybe that Rat could find it's way up here some weekend this summer for a visit and a ride.
Carlo, I will have to see if I can drag Dave up there for a weekend....sure would be fun. I was conversing with Missoula Mike and maybe we can put together something up around Glacier this summer.

Lobocop said:
Very cool Roger, glad to see you got it in the correct color.
Ken I have been looking at this bike since Nov. It came in Black, Blue with while stripes and Silver with Black stripes.....The SE package in the "correct color" sort of pushed me along. This bike is actually 5 inches shorter than my VN900 and only 150lb heavier (basic bike). I very quickly learned on the test ride I took last week to not twist the throttle like I do on my 900. Glad I was holding on....

2WheelFun said:
WOW Roger...you crazy old man!

Congrats on an awesome bike. What a beauty!
LOL, Cary you have been in my thoughts, I miss your crazy humor. I think I was a bit in a funk this winter and what better way to jump start spring.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
Congrats Roger, sounds like you have found a great keeper! Even if Red Lodge had not been canceled I doubt I would have made the trip this year due to illness in the family, but you can bet that it will be a rocking time in 2011. I have not yet gotten my 900 out of the garage, but its going to happen one of these days soon. Been busy getting the boat ready for summer. I traded off my VN750 for a 14' boat after bringing the vn900 home, and this summer I traded the 14' boat for a bigger and better 17' Larson boat with full canvas and a 90 hp Chrysler and a 7.5 hp Mercury and the new setup is newer, only 40 years old, but it spent 17 years stored in a garage so its in great shape. I have had it down to the river a few times, and my S10 does very nice towing it up and down the hills. I park the boat on the other side of our property
so I don't know if the VN900 has noticed the boat just yet,,

Yes and I know PICTURES!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
crazy old man

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I knew it!......:lol:
Well Roger, if you find a way to pop up for a weekend for a ride sometime....I'll arrange to bring Brent and Jodie along and you guys can have your own little Triumph gang.....:tongue: (hopefully we'll still be invited along....:mrgreen: )

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy chit Roger, that is way cool.
Congrats on that sweet machine.
Cant wait to see it in person, eventually.
Gene I can relate to the "holy chit" what am I doing part.....sort of out of character for me. When the first press was coming out on those TBirds last fall I really did not pay any attention. Then during lunch one day I was in the Triumph dealer near work and they had a black one on the floor and wow it looked a lot better in person, so I have been milling around with getting one for about 4 months. I have been on the RAT (Riders Assoc. of Triumph) forum and the Thunderbird1600 forums (BTK is still my home) to see what they had to say about the bikes and what issues they were having with a new model plus reading all the press and looking at all the YouTube vids on the bike. There is actually a 4 part video on YouTube of the assemble line in Hinckley building the suckers.

Till you see it in person:

YouTube - 2010 Triumph Thunderbird Motorcycle Review

Well Roger, if you find a way to pop up for a weekend for a ride sometime....I'll arrange to bring Brent and Jodie along and you guys can have your own little Triumph gang.....:tongue: (hopefully we'll still be invited along....:mrgreen: )
Carlo I have been conversing with Brent about Triumphs. He was in the "go for it" camp. Of course your "14" would be more than welcomed. I would love to make that ride happen.....we will figure out a date.

I need to think about selling my 900.....that part makes me a bit sad.....

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
Congrats Roger, nice bike indeed. I was just at a Triumph dealer looking at the Speed Triple, they had the blue one with the white stripe on the floor. Great looking bike and very comfy, reminds me a lot of the Meanstreak, in that it's a "sport" cruiser.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perry, thanks...yes when I first looked at it I had the same impression. The recent Cruiser mag has it in a shootout with the Star Warrior, which recently won a shootout for bikes with "Attitude". The TBird was considered the best all around and yet handled it self as the best for two of the three reviewers. What is surprising to me is that lots of folks are getting the after market big bore kit (about $2k including installation). This makes it a 1700 and adds 12 more hp (97) and 9 ft/lbs more torque (115). Actually Triumph has another SE with a special red haze paint (red fades to black), and factory installed BBK. When I took my test ride I immediately noticed it was much smoother on the road than my 900 (of course the suspension is the weak point on the 900s). The TBird has showa shocks and fork springs. An upgrade for sure....but then again I ride like an old man....or as my buddy Spok says..."a crazy old man".....so go figure....

Motorcycle.com has a nice compare of the VN1700 and the 1600 TBird:

2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic vs. 2010 Triumph Thunderbird - Motorcycle.com

So what ride are you doing this summer? That Street Triple looks very nice, but then again all new bikes look very nice...lol.

·
2 Wheel Addiction
563 Posts
Perry, thanks...yes when I first looked at it I had the same impression. The recent Cruiser mag has it in a shootout with the Star Warrior, which recently won a shootout for bikes with "Attitude". The TBird was considered the best all around and yet handled it self as the best for two of the three reviewers. What is surprising to me is that lots of folks are getting the after market big bore kit (about $2k including installation). This makes it a 1700 and adds 12 more hp (97) and 9 ft/lbs more torque (115). Actually Triumph has another SE with a special red haze paint (red fades to black), and factory installed BBK. When I took my test ride I immediately noticed it was much smoother on the road than my 900 (of course the suspension is the weak point on the 900s). The TBird has showa shocks and fork springs. An upgrade for sure....but then again I ride like an old man....or as my buddy Spok says..."a crazy old man".....so go figure....

Motorcycle.com has a nice compare of the VN1700 and the 1600 TBird:

2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic vs. 2010 Triumph Thunderbird - Motorcycle.com

So what ride are you doing this summer? That Street Triple looks very nice, but then again all new bikes look very nice...lol.

If I didn't have my meanie, I would be all over the tbird as well. Since I got the VFR, my R6 sits most of the time so I was thinking of something different like a naked (street fighter style) bike, the Speed Triple looks like a riot and it's comfy to boot. We shall see though on the bike.
I may still be going to Red Lodge anyway, I have the time and I could ride Beartooth and Chief Joe all day everyday. I'm also debating about maybe doing something in Colorado if I don't do Red Lodge. I would like to do the East coast forum event this year in August, again since I have the time from work this year. I'll be riding somewhere, just have to figure out where.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts