Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfreind has a '95 EX500 with 12k on it, that has terrible compression issues. what I've found so far says it should read between 175-180 PSI (Not sure if this is correct) and in testing I have come up with 120 right and 90 left. Trying to find a way to confirm wheather it's pistons,valves, cylinders etc. She insists on keeping the bike even if it means replacing the engine but what's the best way to identify the cause of this? I spoke with the guys at our local shop/dealership thier answer was the same old "You should buy a new bike from us" but anything that can be built can be re-built. Thanxs all. PS can you run valve cleaner through these things?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmm sounds like your local shop wants to make NO $$$$$

The most profitable division of the company I work for is spare parts and reman.

Anyway, find a good local independant shop or drive a few extra miles to your other local kawi dealer. And as always spread the word on the local morons.
Run them out of business.

A valve or ring job sounds like the solution. OR both. I mean, since it is already apart........ And it is your girlfriend. I mean to have a girlfriend that rides????? DOOOODE.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
175-180 psi sounds about right for compressions.
My first thought is the valve clearances.
Sounds as though you may have one or two being held open slightly, It doesn't take much to loose compression.

You need to start somewhere and if you have no record of when they were last checked then i would start there. (There screw and lock nut so no shims required or removal of cams) :)

A quick check for the rings is to pour a little oil into the spark plug hole and do another comp test, If you get increased readings then the rings are at fault as the oil makes a seal against the bore. (This only tells if the rings are worn NOT broken)

If the motor has been run lean on the mixtures then you could have a hole burnt somewhere either in the piston top or edge of a valve.

There are other causes but if the valve clearances are spot on then the motor is gonna have to come apart. :cry: :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts