Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home computer running XP serv packII, when I type anything like a reply to an email or a reply on a thread my actual letter posting lags behind my keystrokes by several seconds. I'm not a fast 3 gingered typist, maybe 10wpm, at best.
McAfaee and Lavasoft find nothing amiss or extra. If I reboot it does not do it as badly for about 5 minutes. Any guess?

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like a memory issue. Something could be hogging your resources. Have you installed anything new recently - hardware or software? How much RAM do you have (right click My Computer > Properties)?
do you have a wireless keyboard
2G ram, no wireless anything. Suppose the ram could be getting stupid? Seems like my work 'puter has developed an issue too, different in that it really appears to be a memory saturation thing. If I shut down every day it acts good, or at least reboot every 48 hrs. Work 'puter has service pack III.
Memory came from same supplier for both machines.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,584 Posts
There can be many reasons for your problem, overall house keeping makes a big difference.
Defrag the drive and registry, disable useless startup items, clean out old files/ temp/ internet etc
Uninstall programs and turn off services you don't use.
Check for spyware and adware, make sure your AV software isn't over stretching your PC, Norton for example will slow a system down considerably.

Try Disabling the ATI HotKey Poller service in Windows.

Go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services

You should see the ATI HotKey Poller Services listed. Right Click on it and select properties. Halfway down the screen you should see the "Startup type." Choose disabled from the drop-down list, click apply, close out all applications and reboot.

PCs get bogged down over time and the keyboard is a low priority so it's one of the first things to suffer, so it's a good indicator of deeper problems.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Defrag the drive and registry, disable useless startup items, clean out old files/ temp/ internet etc
Defragging a hard drive hasn't made a difference since MS moved away from 16 bit systems and hard drives moved from EIDE to ATA. I also wouldn't screw with the registry without knowing what you're deleting - sometimes a key that a cleaner sees as unnecessary is very much necessary.

Honestly, my bet is with McAfee or Adaware being the culprit. They're probably trying to do scans in the middle of the OP trying to work - especially since it appears to happen when typing e-mails or posting on an internet forum.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first things first, switch keyboards...KISS sometimes the simplest things are to blame
Defragging a hard drive hasn't made a difference since MS moved away from 16 bit systems and hard drives moved from EIDE to ATA. I also wouldn't screw with the registry without knowing what you're deleting - sometimes a key that a cleaner sees as unnecessary is very much necessary.

Honestly, my bet is with McAfee or Adaware being the culprit. They're probably trying to do scans in the middle of the OP trying to work - especially since it appears to happen when typing e-mails or posting on an internet forum.
Typing isn't only thing that lags. If I left click to highlieght and drag right it will sometimes lag 4 or 5 seconds before it highlights. Hitting "backspace" to correct mistake sometimes takes 5 or 6 seconds.
Usually when I know I'm going to be on computer doing stuff that annoys the cause of this I will disable McAfee and Lavasoft until I'm finished.
Under the msconfig>startup I have everything disabled, which really slows down opening a new app. But it sure boots fast like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Suppose the ram could be getting stupid? Seems like my work 'puter has developed an issue too, different in that it really appears to be a memory saturation thing. If I shut down every day it acts good, or at least reboot every 48 hrs. Work 'puter has service pack III.
Memory came from same supplier for both machines.
That's what I think. I had/have a similar problem since using a magicjack. I only have 512 mb RAM, and it seems like the magickack consumes alot of that. Does it ever take several seconds after double clicking an icon to load a program? Do program windows sometimes "scroll" from the top down to the bottom when closing the window or otherwise close slower than usual? If so, you've more than likely got something that's consuming alot of the memory. It won't hurt anything to try what the others said; that may be the culprit, but since you mentioned the mouse lags when right clicking and dragging, I'm thinking it's more than the keyboard.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Also, right click on your taskbar and go into your task manager. Under your processes tab, is there any service that is taking up most of your CPU cycles?
This is what I was going to suggest. If you click on the column heading that says CPU, it will sort the processes by how much CPU they are using, which makes it easy to see what is hogging it.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Also, where defrag might not help, you can do a check disk. Right click on the C: drive, go to properties, tools, error checking/check now. Select both boxes for automatically fix and scan for bad sectors. You will need to reboot in order to run this.

I've seen a bad sector on the hard drive cause the computer to slow down. Checkdisk fixed the issue, but if your drive starts with bad sectors, you should save all your important stuff and replace the drive.

One other thing. Go to control panel, Administrative tools and Event viewer. Look through the logs for any errors in yellow or red.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.