Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it would be a good idea to put ZX11 front suspension on it as the OE wheel and brakes were a narrow 18 with tiny rotors and single pot calipers so I have almost everything except ZX brake pads, front fender, and tire. Problem is the rear is a 16 that I bought a Shinko 777 bias 150/80/16 for last year and is still unmounted. There are almost NO RADIALS in this size other than a Shinko street legal racing tire in super soft compound. Furthermore there are NO BIAS PLY in ZX11 front size in 120/70/17. There are a few in 130/80/17 but those are for heavy crusiers and full dressers.

There's a conversion to a 17 inch rear using a Kawasaki Mean Streak rear that involves machining, I guess that's what I should do but dang doing that will push project completion into late summer. Also I bought a later model ZG1000 rear wheel that is styled closer to the ZX than the 1986 spokes. Looks like good money after bad.

Anyway I'm venting and just tossing this out there: do all your research before diving into modifications.

·
Super Moderator
10,905 Posts
I don't understand. Both my Yamaha FJR's use the 120/70-17 tire and there are literally dozens to choose from. Michelin, Shinko, Metzler, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Dunlop- all with multiple models of soft and dual compound- are brands that I have used since buying my first FJR in 2008. And I'm sure there are more that I haven't tried.

Methinks your search engine may need an update. With the 150/80-16 I get several choices. Shop Motorcycle Tires - Best Deals & Free Shipping | ChapMoto.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand. Both my Yamaha FJR's use the 120/70-17 tire and there are literally dozens to choose from. Michelin, Shinko, Metzler, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Dunlop- all with multiple models of soft and dual compound- are brands that I have used since buying my first FJR in 2008. And I'm sure there are more that I haven't tried.

Methinks your search engine may need an update. With the 150/80-16 I get several choices. Shop Motorcycle Tires - Best Deals & Free Shipping | ChapMoto.com
Problem is finding a radial that matches brand and type. Look at the results: bias ply

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I'll have to get the DOT racing tires and run that until the 17 inch Mean Streak rear wheel conversion is done (5 inch wide) Should get a good 1/4 mile time out of the Shinko Stealths judging from reviews

·
Super Moderator
10,905 Posts
Why do you think anything has to match? Most of run unmatching (me a rear car tire) pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well some more web searching turned up answers I was looking for. This is a good thread, the bias grows at very high speed whereas the radial doesn't and that changes steering geometry, which is an issue only in hard lean sport riding. What I'll do is run the bias 16 inch on the rear for tuning, a 1/4 mile time, and commuting and just put off the canyon carving until a 17 inch wheel conversion during the fall.

Video of a thread contributor taking a bone stock CX500 with a bias rear/radial front he just bought to a track day. Very impressive riding on an old, unfamiliar bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts