Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
I've heard there will be a recall/ fix for the bags. The heat issue is news to me. Wonder if that was an isolated incident.

·
Super Moderator
10,836 Posts
With all the defects I've heard about, from knobs falling off to tire pressure sensors, why haven't more folks filed them?

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
Do you REALLY think getting the government involved will help? Let the manufacturer fix the problems. If they don't, then report them.

Besides, I’m a little suspicious of the first-degree burn report. Sounds rather, well, squidly to me. But that just my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
10,836 Posts
IMHO, no manufacturer has ever willingly eaten the cost for any recall without being forced to do so. Remember Firestone tires and everything all the way back to exploding gas tanks? It was the NHTSA that issued those. Using them as a "clearing house" for complaints, however small, is what gets the mfr's attention and action.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Connies have always put out a lot of heat, this is nothing new, and should not be considered in the same light as the other defects.

Granted, IMHO Kaw should still do something about it, as it detracts from what is otherwise a stellar machine, but I'm just saying it's nothing new.

·
Registered
477 Posts
5 complaints, 3 different bikes and 3 different owners. The 2 structure complaints and 2 latch complaints were the same 2 bikes. Sounds like someone had shorts on and with only 200 miles on the bike???????? Every car, truck and bike on the planet has had someone, somewhere complain about something on them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not file a complaint with the NHTSA. I did burn my left inner thigh to the point of blistering. The day I rode this bike home from the dealer it was 104 degrees. I was wearing Levi's 501's. With 5 miles on the odometer I sat in traffic for 20 minutes to go 3 blocks. I then rode 100 miles home. My thigh was sore, but I payed little attention. The next day I DID have a blister about 2 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. This was from the gap between the gas tank and the plastic fairing on the left side.

I rode the bike wearing chaps for a few days and have had no heat issues since that very first ride.

I have 3000 miles on the bike now with absolutely no problems. The dealer replaced the gas tank at 2500 miles due to a paint flaw from the factory. I suspect that the pannier latch problem might be rider induced. It is very very easy to improperly hang the bags from the frame and then inadvertantly force the latch down, thus shearing the locking pins.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Done a little over 10,000 Kms on mine now and have had no trouble with panniers at all. Did think it threw a lot of heat though but not to a point where its a problem

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting comment on the heat aspect.

One of the drawbacks pointed on the OLD Concours was HEAT. I remember the comment on a review was, "This is definitely not a bike you want to sit in traffic on."

The problem was solved by the addition of heat deflectors, but there is no provision for that on the NEW Connie and with the addition of 400 CC's in engine size I imagine it puts out MORE heat than the old model.

Clyde

'85 Maxim X
'04 Concours

1 - 10 of 10 Posts