Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been seriously considering getting the HK Strippers (black) for the longest time but honestly I really love the sound of my debaffled pipes. Now I'm thinking of keeping them but here is what is on my mind lately.

I am going to be lowering the bike 2 inches, are the stockers going to drag?
I love the black look, I'm now thinking of painting them black, has anyone done this or would the 09' SE pipes fit on the 07' (I could probably get them much cheaper)?
The money is just too big of a buy right now when I could do so many different things like getting the custom paint job I've been wanting.

Any opinions would help out thanks!

·
08 Green custom 900
63 Posts
Buy the HK Strippers. These are the nicest sounding pipes out there. The stock 09's will fit I checked into this already.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would maybe get the stock 09's but new they are just as much as aftermarket!

Can anyone give me some help on the other questions? How hard would it be to paint them black?

·
Klink
108 Posts
I have used high temp paint out of a shaker can. It turned out ok but then I had the heat shields powder coated and wrapped the exhaust pipe under them and that was much better.
Klink

·
Registered
995 Posts
I painted my V&H Straight Shots using VHT header paint (ceramic particle paint) and so far they are standing up well.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
I'm right there with ya, Hunter. Ordered my scootworks lowering kit and my bub jug huggers at the same time, but phat performance backordered the pipes without telling me... since you have to remove pipes to do the lowering, I don't want to have to do it twice, but I have rides planned. I'm afraid I'll scrape the debaffled pipes... but I guess that doesn't really matter. And yes I worry the jug huggers won't have that nice bass burble sound when I do the slow decelleration. But who knows, might be better. I've just heard so many guys with their little aftermarkets that went blatt blatt blatt instead of the rumble I have.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just took off a set of Cobra Speedster Longs because I can't stand the Blat...Blat...Blat. Sounded like a bad motorboat and not a motorcycle. I did the Stage One mod to my stock pipes and now has a nice low toned rumble. I haven't heard a metric bike with aftermarket pipes I've liked yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took off a set of Cobra Speedster Longs because I can't stand the Blat...Blat...Blat. Sounded like a bad motorboat and not a motorcycle. I did the Stage One mod to my stock pipes and now has a nice low toned rumble. I haven't heard a metric bike with aftermarket pipes I've liked yet.

That's exactly what I mean about mine, I just love the tone. I do LOVE the look of the HK Strippers but man I just dont know about the sound and spending that much to be not completely happy with them isn't jusitfied to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did a group ride with a bunch of HDs with aftermarket pipes on Sunday. On the 100 mile ride to the beach, I had no problems with the noise. On the way back, I rode solo the whole trip. By the time I got back, I couldn't stand my bike (sound, with headache and ears ringing). As soon as the bike cooled down, I put the Stock pipes back on. I took it out last night for about an hour and what an enjoyable ride. The aftermarket pipes change the whole tone of the bike, not for the good for me.

·
Devils Reject
773 Posts
what exactly is the "stage one" mod??? removing the baffles???

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had debaffled stockers on my 900, then I got the cobra shorts and they sound a hundred times better than the stockers. Very low and loud on decel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts