Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just found this forum. My wife is taking over my Shadow 750 ACE so I'm in the market for a new ride. I want to move up to something with more power and comfort and that will handle 2up riding and some medium to long distance cruising, but that is still suitable for commuting on the super slab.

The Vulcan 1600 Classic is leading the pack right now - and you guys are obviously Vulcan fans or you wouldn't be here, but I really need to know of any common problems or trade-offs with the Vulcan.

I'm also looking at the Roadstar and VTX1300.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 1600 classic. It's a fantastic bike a very easy to handle. I think if you're doing some riding with 2 up, you're not going to be happy with a 750 or 800. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've driven about 1000 miles with mine and no problems. Some minor rattles and vibrations here and there but nothing you couldn't fix yourself. I love the easiness of driving and that beatifully and smooth running engine. And the looks 8) , that's one thing you won't be disappointed of. I mean, the tank between your legs and those wide bars when you're driving... you just have to love it :D .

Also people just seem to turn their heads when a Fat Boy lookin front end bike drives by. Nobody dislikes that :wink: . Size of the bike is one thing that made me choose that. I'm almost 6" tall and still isn't too difficult to sit on the bike.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I concur, while it's not perfect ( don't think any bike is ) it's excellent bang for the buck. Many years of problem free riding ahead.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

agreed-the classic is real head turner when dolled up a little-awesome value for the money
and very dependable - although i must say that the vtx's are also very sweet bikes
but crappy on gas mileage-your lookin at 3 great bikes imo :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not perfect?

Uncle Bob said:
I concur, while it's not perfect ( don't think any bike is ) it's excellent bang for the buck. Many years of problem free riding ahead.
You're right that no bike is perfect - they all have trade-offs; I'm just trying to learn all the issues before I make a decision. Unfortunately it's not as easy to get a test drive as it is with a car. Unless your timing is good with a demo ride at a show (we have one coming up in DC next weekend, but with temps in the 30s, I don't think there will be demo rides available), you're pretty much out of luck.

Trade-off's I've identified so far (some are things you can see, and some are just things I've read or heard):

VTX1300S - hate the looks of the fenders; no cast wheels, no EFI, valve adjustment required;

VTX1300C - beautiful looks; rinding position only good for short rides - not relaxed crusing; no EFI, valve adjustment required

Roadstar - nice looks; tons of accessories available; not much cornering clearance; didn't sit very comfortable compared to the vulcan

Vulcan 1600 Classic - nice looking (all the features I'm looking for: cast wheels, shaft drive, EFI, hydaulically adjusted valves, etc.); very comfortable; but limited color choices;

Victory Kingpin - too much $$; engine very noisy (actually got to test ride one of these), but beautiful bike.

Harley anything - too much $$

So you see why the Vulcan is in the lead at the moment. But since I can't test ride one, it's hard to tell what the trade offs are.

reviews say the vulcan is lacking in the power department compared to other bikes - anyone have any personal experience with this?

how about aftermarket support - the VTX and Roadstar have tons of stuff advertised all over the place, but I haven't seen much for the Vulcan - is it mostly from Kawasaki, or do other companies give you some options?

How about dealer and warrenty support? Any common problems? (Honda sure has their share in my experience).

I've only been riding a year and a half, and my Honda ACE was my first bike.

OK. Maybe I'm overanalyzing this too much - I should just go buy one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, you should :D ... Actually, I bought my 1600 without any testdriving. Just reading reviews and sitting on it. And haven't regreted ever since.

I also realized all the same things that you bzirk did. Cast wheels, shaft drive, EFI, hydaulically adjusted valves, excellent brakes and many more features... It's just that good value for money.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I went through that also, bikes however should be chosen by desire rather than facts. Which one keps coming back on your list, which one is it you're using as a reference ?.

Bottom line, it's just a bike not a tattoo, it can be traded in or modified down the road.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ok - here's what i found after looking at the same scoots

VTX'S - very good riding bike,position was good although the bars need to come back a little for me,you can get it without laced wheels,no EFI till you get to the 1800(bad ass imo),loads of torque,shifter/peg a little cramped,
overall a very nice bike for the price,engine had some harmonics not bad though,front suspension a little spongy,
not many aftermarket parts availible,cruiser bike with hot rod look,overall very nice bike for the money,nice colors,good reliability and dealer network

ROADSTAR/VSTAR - very smooth throughout,engine/tranny quiet,$1k cheaper than vtx,good classic look,position was good,only 3 colors,very comfortable soft ride, unlaced wheels availible,dual disc front brakes,fit and finish was excellent,fair amount of aftermarket parts,overall very nice ride,smoothness,good price

HARLEY/VICTORY - nuuf said $$$$$$$$$-priced out of the ballpark
victory takes a slight edge on pricing,not many aftermarket parts,good custom program for the money,sounds and runs just like h/d (single pin crank),nice jug kit for 100ci,limited model selection,arlenn ness series could be thorn in harley's side,overall reminds me of a hog at a better price. as far as h/d - we all know about them,i own one so i'm guilty as charged.

that brings us to

VULCANS-i could rant for hours about these bikes-i own a 800b and choose this over the 1500 because the 1600 was not out yet when i bought it.it is more nimble than the 1500 but looks identical.the 1600 is the shiznit as far as i'm concerned because of the featurs you point out that are only found on a few bikes of this size,F/I,wheels,shaft,valves,etc-but kawi has a great reputation for quality and dependability,aftermarket parts are good because many H/D access. will fit the vulcans,and kuriakyn(sp?) has tons of stuff for them. ride is awesome,extreme smoothness of everything(motr/tranny),for the money these are very nice values with kawi service behind you all the(some dealers even honor warrantys after mods have been made). i have a john deere garden tractor that 15 years old powered by a kawi 13.5hp pressure lubed engine that has never had anything but oil changes and starts first time every time-that sold me

:lol:

ultimatly get the bike you like the most,get the bike that feels the best,
get the bike that suites your ability,but most of all GET THE BIKE :wink:

·
Registered
837 Posts
thats my next scooter.either the meanie or the 1600 classic.so much bigger than my 1500 and plenty of after market stuff for all these kawa's.hell im even going to look at the new 2000 when i get ready to up grade.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
DITTO!!! Bought my 1600 for all the same reasons and never rode one till i got it home{picked it up in the winter} and can't ride it enough....Can't tell ya how many times Im ready to turn onto my street and go home when some force makes me go straight and ride for a few more miles!! Can't help myself.........

·
Love too Ride
141 Posts
bzirk said:
Hi all - just found this forum. My wife is taking over my Shadow 750 ACE so I'm in the market for a new ride. I want to move up to something with more power and comfort and that will handle 2up riding and some medium to long distance cruising, but that is still suitable for commuting on the super slab.

The Vulcan 1600 Classic is leading the pack right now - and you guys are obviously Vulcan fans or you wouldn't be here, but I really need to know of any common problems or trade-offs with the Vulcan.

I'm also looking at the Roadstar and VTX1300.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Welcome!!! Well I have to put my 2c in. I ride a V2K and mostly 2up and I can't tell you how much fun it is. It is a big bike but I'm a big guy& wife is a big gal. It has awesome power and just is a blast to ride. It may not be as nimble as the smaller bikes but it handles just fine on the freeway and back roads.

·
Classic-1600 Rider
125 Posts
I Had 2003 1500 Classic And Traded Up In June. Best Move I've Could Of Made.i Never Thought The Ride Would Be That Much Better. Handling And Power And Looks What More Could You Want! The Are Aftermarkets Parts Out There You Just Have To Look For Them, But Thats Hafe The Fun, Making It Your Own.buy The 1600 Now And You'll Have All Winter Look To Make It Your Own. Good Luck! Here's Mine.

·
It's about the ride
169 Posts
I researched various cruiser style bikes for about 8 months before buying my bike. I have owned various bikes ranging from gradually larger Honda models, Harley's etc.

I like Honda products and liked the VTX. There are pro's and cons to their models. I like the looks of the Harley, but I got tired of the Vibration, rattles and repair bills/down time.

I now only own one bike. The 1600 classic. I am very happy with it. It isn't a fast bike, but it is smooth, rides nice, is dependable, looks good, won't cost much to maintain or repair. It is just a fun ride.

Mine is still new. I only have about 2,000 miles on it, but I am really enjoying it. My buddy wanted to try my bike. I rode his new Harley (Heritage) and he rode my bike. I couldn't wait to get off his and back onto my bike. He commented that he wished he would have ridden my bike before he spent the money for his.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I have abut 4000 miles on mine this year, I have not owned a big cruiser like thois before, but I did have a VS800 Intruder before this one......and it is out of its league to compare the two of them. My 1600 Classic is a wonderful blend of ride, comfort, style and technology all at the same time.......stock it is not a fast bike......but throw some upgrades there......I think it will be enough to scoot around where ever I need to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy cow.....resurrected from the dead. :eek:
Wow - I didn't even remember I had ever logged on here before. Someone just emailed me this post. Funny how threads take on a life of their own:lol: That was several bikes and many thousands of miles ago.

Just in case anyone's curious, I did test ride a Nomad - but it had some serious shakes (dealer's demo bike may have been badly out of tune). Well - that scared me off, and I ended up getting a used Valkyrie, which I loved. Then I stumbled on a great deal on a used GL1800, and traded up. I still have the GL1800, and absolutely love it.

But my wife did end up with a 2006 connie. 8)

Ride long and safe - and thanks for the replies - if any of you that replied are still around :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
:mrgreen: DITTO You took the words right outta my mouth:mrgreen:
Yeah, you should :D ... Actually, I bought my 1600 without any testdriving. Just reading reviews and sitting on it. And haven't regreted ever since.

I also realized all the same things that you bzirk did. Cast wheels, shaft drive, EFI, hydaulically adjusted valves, excellent brakes and many more features... It's just that good value for money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts