Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, if I'm not doing the resistor mod, I can skip steps #5-#12?
Correct... 1-4, then start at 12 to remove the ICS... but really, try it with them connected first and see if you can tolerate their racket.
I'm deaf in my right ear and they didn't bother me much when I had the V&H Bigshots, but when I put in the Quiet Baffles, they became louder in comparison to the rest of the bike, and my wife started riding with me and complaining about the knocking noise.

They are worst when the bike is cold, but mine always seemed to activate even when the bike was warm any time I dropped to zero throttle.

Removing them makes cold starts a bit more of a pain, as you MUST use the high idle knob, and I tried the "fix" on Gadget's page putting a piece of vaccuum line over the idle stop pin and it resulted in the engine trying to idle in excess of 2,000 rpm so I ripped it back out.
Now, if temps are above 70, the high idle knob is enough (coupled with a normal idle speed of 1,000rpm), but when it gets below 60-65, I have to use my throttle lock in addition to the high idle knob to keep it running for the first few minutes. I'll leave the high idle knob pulled for the first couple of miles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thank you Rich.

I believe I will try this. I really don't want to remove the ICS if at all possible. I have VERY LOUD pipes, so I am guessing they will cover up the noise.

Barry

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I tried relocating them to the left side cover, shrouded in foam, with the tubes running through the crossover. It ran WORSE... idle actually dropped when the solenoids were operating.

The length of the tubes matters, as it impacts the timing of the pulse hitting the throttle bodies.

IF it works "like stock", he got lucky when he came up with his tubing lengths, because mine ran like crap.
My first thought was that maybe I had reversed the front and rear solenoids, but moving the hoses made no difference in how it ran.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stock sucks! The Nomad should be unleashed as it is chokeing to death with the stock intake and exhaust. I replaced the exhaust with cobra true duals..great sound, looks and they breath. As for the intake, I removed the reed valves and plumbing, machined up some coasters. Removed the complete intake system from the throttle body back. What I have is a 7"round backing plate that has 6 mounts. I capped off the solenoid tubes at the throttle body and of course removed the solenoids. The cold air sensor and crankcase breather are installed. The air filter is a Fram ca79. I installed a cobra fuel processor. The outer cover is also 7". The idle when cold can be manually adjusted with the fast idle knob. This takes about the time it takes to put on helmet and gloves. Once warmed up..no problem with the idle. The responce is incredible. The Nomad has woken up to what it should be. It took me about 300 kms. to properly adjust the tfi but once it was, the fuel ecomomy increased to 330kms a tank. The performance was day/nite difference from stock. Besides the pipes and fuel processor my total cost was 8 bucks for the filter, around 25 bucks for the billet and around 6 hrs. in the shop. I'm a happy camper..John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm new here and have been reading the thread all night. VERY interesting stuff from caddman and constricter which I plan to do very soon. I have a 2003 Mean Streak. Just got it about a month ago. Had a whopping 9700 miles on it and the deal was too good to pass up.

Anyway, as to the ICS's. Wouldn't it be easy enough to use a STDP switch and wire into the green wires. Cut them on for warm up and then cut them off when cruising temp has met?

Jerry

"Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want"

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Hey Guys, I'm new here and have been reading the thread all night. VERY interesting stuff from caddman and constricter which I plan to do very soon. I have a 2003 Mean Streak. Just got it about a month ago. Had a whopping 9700 miles on it and the deal was too good to pass up.

Anyway, as to the ICS's. Wouldn't it be easy enough to use a STDP switch and wire into the green wires. Cut them on for warm up and then cut them off when cruising temp has met?

Jerry
Jerry, welcome to the forum and great choice on a motorcycle. I've owned my bike for over 5 years now and still enjoy driving it. Even though the Mean Streak isnt made anymore, I still get people asking me what kind of bike it is.

As for your question, yes, you definitely could wire in a switch to manually activate and deactivate the ICSs. Throughout this thread, several people post their variations on what they did. Some people insulated them with padding, some people relocated them altogether. If you wanted to wire in a switch, I dont even think you'd need to do a relay. All your switch needs to do is cut power to them and thats it. Theyre not high voltage so theres really no reason to get fancy with a relay.

I've had my ICSs disconnected since I did this mod in 2005 and havent had any problems. The bike still wants to stall the first time I start it cold, but I use the idle adjustment knob to compensate. Makes me feel like I have an older-school bike with a choke! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys- AWESOME write-up!!! I read through it all and implemented it on my '99 Drifter 1500. I removed ALL the smog stuff, tore the tunnel out, removed the ICS's, blocked off the reed valves with coasters, removed the left side setup and installed a right side Spectre 6 1/2" air cleaner. Looks much, much nicer!
I have the resistor to wire in- question though: I'm running the Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust on it. Should I forgo the resistor and install a Cobra Fi200 controller, or will the resistor be enough? Also, what can I do with the other wires that went to the ICS's, can I just remove them?
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, just joined, first post.

Just bought an '06 1600 Nomad with Jardine Rumbler pipes and a PowerCommanderIII. Looking to let it breathe easy now through the Caddman mod.

Here's my current plan, just looking for some advice that the theory is sound... any advice would be rockin.

First, for now I only want to do the right side and leave the left side totally stock. Any issues with that or do I still need to block something off on the left?

For the filter I'm going to buy this:
Spectre Performance 48056 - Spectre Performance Air Filters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

For the cover I'd go with this (has a wingnut too, going to ditch paper filter):
Proform Parts 66815 - Proform Air Cleaner Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

(I know there's some other misc nuts and bolts to buy... understand that part)

I want to leave the ICS's in but will bend them an 1/8" so the filter fits better (possibly weather strip too). Will put a plug in the reed valve.

I don't have the cash right now for 2 filters let alone dyno time, thus will need to remap the PCIII on my own. Below are the maps for the PCIII on their website.

Map # Map Description
M220-ALL All Maps
M220-503 European model *Advanced map*, V+H Bagger duals exhaust, Stock air filter,
M220-502 European model *Advanced map*, V+H Bagger duals, baffles removed, Stock air filter
M220-501 European model, Stock exhaust, Stock air filter
M220-003 Roadhouse dual exhaust, Hypercharger air box
M220-002 Vance & Hines Bagger dual exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter
M220-001 Completely Stock Bike
M220-000 Zero map

I think I'll just program in the Roadhouse dual exhaust and hypercharger airbox one... from there I believe I can put it back on the bike and just make minor adjustments using the 3 buttons on the PC itself.

Finally, does anyone know where to get pre-filter for this thing to repel water? Doesn't look like K&N makes a drycharger and their precharger does nothing for water.

Am I missing anything? Good to go?

·
Wild Rebels MC
154 Posts
I did my best to read this entire thread and can find no mention as to whether this can be done on a 900 classic. I would love to do this mod on both sides of my bike. I have a 2008 900 classic. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just spent the last couple days completely reading this mod and finding other sites where its located. I have to admit this is the most clear and precise post of all. So let's see if anyone is still on this forum. I have an 02 1500 meanie and want to breath some life into it and plan on making this mod one of my many winter mods.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Time for my yearly visit to the site, and I am so happy to see that this is still helpful to people! Its a shame Kawasaki doesn't see a need for a large cc "muscle cruiser" replacement to the Mean Streak. I still enjoy my bike as much as the day I bought it, and every time I get a hint of desire to look at something new, I look back at my Meanie and see how customized I made it and how perfectly it suits me and all desires go right out the window to replace her with a different bike! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,053 Posts
Time for my yearly visit to the site, and I am so happy to see that this is still helpful to people! Its a shame Kawasaki doesn't see a need for a large cc "muscle cruiser" replacement to the Mean Streak. I still enjoy my bike as much as the day I bought it, and every time I get a hint of desire to look at something new, I look back at my Meanie and see how customized I made it and how perfectly it suits me and all desires go right out the window to replace her with a different bike! :)
Well howdy stranger! Good to see you're still kickin'!!

I know what you mean- I've had my FJR since Jan '08 and I've yet to see anything that even remotely tempts me to trade.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just spent the last couple days completely reading this mod and finding other sites where its located. I have to admit this is the most clear and precise post of all. So let's see if anyone is still on this forum. I have an 02 1500 meanie and want to breath some life into it and plan on making this mod one of my many winter mods.
Welcome to the forum Jordan. :wink: We;re here. I have an 03 1500 Meany. I'm confident to say that this is only one of MANY mods you will make. My only recommendation is for you to make sure you like this mod. Cause if you have any doubts you'll just be redoing it before long. Not that I've done anything like that. :shock: Enjoy it & ride safe.

·
Moto-Nerd
123 Posts
Hey, is this place still open? :-o

Hard to believe it but it's been nearly 9 years since I first published the Caddmann Kit mod.

I never intended this to be a permanent fixture on my bike. It was a stop gap measure until I could afford the expensive commercial kit.

It just worked so well for me I never felt motivated to change it out.

It got me into a lot of trouble though, on another forum where I was a very active member. This is about sour grapes...a total rant....so please bear with me. :oops: Fortunately I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was ticked to no end.

See one of the staff who called himself a mechanic and an engineer couldn't think his way out of a paper bag when it came to any part of this business requiring logical reasoning. He also could not accept being spotted as wrong, but it happened over and over. The most glaring event occurred when he was asked to describe a radial tire construction, and clearly described a bias ply tire. Then he defended his idiocy with lies and misdirection.

He was a mod, and he maliciously screwed around with my writings on the forum, changing my words, then flatly told everyone I hadn't created anything new (essentially true, it's a well-known concept) and that there was really no such thing as the Caddmann Kit at all!

I quickly Googled up 21 sites describing the Caddmann Kit, referring to it on another site, or like this thread, republishing the information with new photos and improved descriptions.

Over a dozen people (that I knew of) on that site were already running it too.

I posted that info & it didn't sit well. I never received an apology. He had a lot of influence on the staff, and so in fact I was roundly harassed, and then banned!

I did this mod for sound reasons, I did it carefully, with a thought to making it as inexpensive as possible, and completely reversible in case of legal issues or performance problems; and I published the results for notariety of course :p but also with a thought to help other owners with their bikes.

I've done several of these for other Kawi owners, and I've corresponded with dozens of others about it. I never made a single dime of profit from it all either, nor did I bother attempting to.

So whadda they say?..."No good deed goes unpunished." LOL

So here I am ;) 9 years on the Nomad and I'm still running the mod I developed because I didn't want to pay $300 for an air filter.

Also I just Googled "Caddmann Kit and Caddman Kit", Cadman Kit, and Cadmann Kit, and came up with 2000+ hits.

Not all of them were about this mod, but the great majority seemed to be.

I guess it really does exist, Toto!

261 - 280 of 302 Posts