Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can help me. I have Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered Exhaust System 18285 with the baffles removed and I have done the caddman air mod and used a K&N air filter on the right side and kept the left side as is. I have a PC III coming, so this is where I need help. Does anyone have a Dyno tested map with the same set up I have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Constrictor,
thanks for clearing it up for me. I thought it was still getting the air from the left side of the bike.
I think this will be my winter project.
Been reading this thread for years and thought I would throw in my two cents ( actual value ) This mod can and will work if setup and tuned properly. That being said, as advertised, it is cheap and it looks it. I have seen a few bikes over the years with this mod and I always think that this is the same guy that would buy a nice new car and go to WalMart and buy some cheap (cheesy) hub caps to put on it. My apologies to all that have done this to their bike thinking they are "customizing" it. Bottom line, will it allow better breathing, Yes. Does it look like you hung a couple of cheap air filters off an old six cylinder car, Yes.

·
Moto-Nerd
123 Posts
. . .this is the same guy that would buy a nice new car and go to WalMart and buy some cheap (cheesy) hub caps to put on it. . . .

(Wow, it's been a long time since I looked in here! Old old thread, but I gotta reply anyhow.)

Hubcaps? LOL My motivations for inventing this mod had nothing to do with looks, and everything to do with performance AND the fact that the mod is easily 100% reversible* if you happen to get busted for smog or noise laws; which it is certainly in violation of.

(*This is not true of any of the expensive air kits you could buy back in 2003. They required removal an expensive to replace and install plastic air duct.)

Clearly it's a hotrod mentality that drives this mod, and not a boulevard beauty contest mentality.

You're absolutely right in that it is inexpensive and it looks inexpensive. But remember the Kawasaki is an inexpensive bike. About the cheapest bikes you can buy that weren't cloned in China. :) I could put a $1000 of gold plated billet on the side and everyone would still know that it was a cheap bike.

And I don't give a hoot. It flies when I hit the throttle, and that's what I bought it for.

Do you ride a bike to show off yer bling status? :confused:

Well, have at it buddy!

·
Super Moderator
11,053 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, live and let live, ride and let ride. I guess some folks have had an exceptionally long winter.

Stress less, ride more.

I'm just surprised to see you! It's been a long time....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to cruisers as well as I've spent most of my riding time on sport bikes. I just bought a 2005 mean streak with the hypercharger already on. Love the bike but hate the way the charger is in the way of my leg. I'd like to do the cadman mod on the right side only and was wondering what would be involved from switching it over and what I'd need since none of the stock intake parts came with the bike. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,053 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to cruisers as well as I've spent most of my riding time on sport bikes. I just bought a 2005 mean streak with the hypercharger already on. Love the bike but hate the way the charger is in the way of my leg. I'd like to do the cadman mod on the right side only and was wondering what would be involved from switching it over and what I'd need since none of the stock intake parts came with the bike. Any help would be appreciated.
Replies in this thread

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...r-intake-conversion-question.html#post2546705

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did the caddman mod and I have to say, WOW WOW WOW! 1st gear SUCKED before the mod. Now it really feels like it hauls. Thanks. And I don't know why everyone says the mod looks cheap. Frankly I freakin love the chrome plates, always nice to have some shiny parts considering all the dirt I get on the frame. :) Not to mention, when I think of bikes, takes me back to the 60s 70s frame of reference where parts like that WOULD be seen and used frequently. It harkens back to a time when people did things themselves rather than relying on purchasing prefabs. Even got to teach my kids a little with this, so double thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, went to start up the bike today after the mod, and same thing happened yesterday but now its worse. When I start the bike, white smoke comes out from the exhaust, and the engine stalls. Yesterday, I upped the Cobra FI 2000 to 3.5 for the first pot figuring now that I added more air, I need more fuel. Should I continue upping it until this goes away? Or is this a sign of a possible leak around the filter? I'm using the K&N filters, and ended up keeping both sides, left the snorkel in place and didn't block off the side. Mind you, it's 29 degrees out with a real feel of 10. (Yeah I still wanted to take a little ride) Thanks for the help.

In case its relevant, I've got cobra drag pipes on (with baffles), and its a 2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couple things, it sounds to me like it needs more fuel, especially if it's pinging or running rough, however in temperature that cold it could also be vapor. You can stop try dumping a bit more fuel, it's far less likely to hurt your bike than running lean is. Also I'm assuming you left the stock filter in the left side? Cause otherwise your bike is sucking unfiltered air through the snorkel which is bad

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Just did the caddman mod and I have to say, WOW WOW WOW! 1st gear SUCKED before the mod. Now it really feels like it hauls. Thanks. And I don't know why everyone says the mod looks cheap. Frankly I freakin love the chrome plates, always nice to have some shiny parts considering all the dirt I get on the frame. :) Not to mention, when I think of bikes, takes me back to the 60s 70s frame of reference where parts like that WOULD be seen and used frequently. It harkens back to a time when people did things themselves rather than relying on purchasing prefabs. Even got to teach my kids a little with this, so double thanks.
I am glad that you noticed an improvement in the bike and had fun performing it. You are right, there was once a time where people had to be creative to solve problems and come up with their own ways to do something and while this mod is hardly a ground breaking mod, its satisfying to accomplish something with basic tools and auto store parts, that costs upwards of $200 to accomplish with an aftermarket part.

Ok, went to start up the bike today after the mod, and same thing happened yesterday but now its worse. When I start the bike, white smoke comes out from the exhaust, and the engine stalls. Yesterday, I upped the Cobra FI 2000 to 3.5 for the first pot figuring now that I added more air, I need more fuel. Should I continue upping it until this goes away? Or is this a sign of a possible leak around the filter? I'm using the K&N filters, and ended up keeping both sides, left the snorkel in place and didn't block off the side. Mind you, it's 29 degrees out with a real feel of 10. (Yeah I still wanted to take a little ride) Thanks for the help.

In case its relevant, I've got cobra drag pipes on (with baffles), and its a 2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi.
Doh! I saw your first post before this one. I realize this was from several months ago, so I hope you were able to resolve your issue. Aside from the already mentioned water vapor suggestion, the only other common cause of white smoke is a blown head gasket. With some mean streaks being over a decade old, the possibility of coolant leaking into the cylinders is a real possibility that we need to consider.

For what it's worth, as I write this, it is October, 2016, more than 11 YEARS (holy cow!) since I did this mod, and not only do I still have the same bike, but the mod is still installed and the bike still runs as good as the day I did it. I never changed the resistor mod, and never needed to get an aftermarket tuner.

Hopefully you were able to resolve your issue and have a nice summer of riding! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found this thread, I did this mod yesterday to my 03 1600 Classic, absolutely love the results. Already had Cobra Dragster pipes without baffles, so I added a Power Commander 3 USB at the same time.
Two things I found that might make it easier for anyone else doing this: A 30mm bolt is the right length for the Spectre filters without cutting if you can't find a stud, and if you cut off the outer flange, and hammer the inner flange flat, a piece of the bottom plate from the Spectre makes a perfect block-off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've started the mod. First order of business....where do I locate this **** potentiometer? Then it hit me. I have no intention of returning this bike to stock. Since I'm supposed to plug the reed valve hose (mine was already plugged apparently), I can just cut it back and plug it outside of the housing. Vuala, a nice big hole awaits. Since I bought a pack of 2 potentiometer with knobs, I decided to use the parts to my advantage. One disc needed to be cut to fit underneath, and the other slightly trimmed for the outside. I added a couple washers and a hose gasket and all seems to be working out well. Can reach it with fingers when the housing is mounted back on. Will be running a wire out to the pink wire.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts