Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
301 - 302 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Step 17:

Once you have your block off plate cut and new holes drilled, use the original screws and mount it back to the left side backing plate. I used some more silicone sealant around the edges and on the screw threads to eliminate any possibility of a leak.

You’ll also want to use a sheet metal screw BLUE to block the drain plug at the bottom of the backing plate. This is the screw I mentioned in the parts list at the beginning of this walkthrough. Any size that fits will do. Just find a spare screw you have lying around your garage. If you are using a thicker filter and reusing the original filter, you do not need to plug this hole.

Step 18:

Once the silicone is reasonably dry, remount the backing plate with the two Philips screws and two hex nuts. Thread in your other 35-40mm stud into the air cleaner bolt hole and reinstall the air filter and lid.

This is what the left side looks like with everything back together.

Conclusion

Unfortunately, the day I installed this, it was raining, so I still haven’t been able to take the bike for a ride, but I did fire it up, and it sounded a lot meaner. The exhaust somehow sounded deeper, and made my Vance & Hines pipes bark even deeper. The bike did appear to have a rougher idle, but in all fairness, I didn’t let it completely warm up. It didn’t stall and had no trouble starting. I will update this section in a couple days after I’ve had some time to ride the bike and get some on the road impressions.

Although there are a number of ways to do this mod, it’s really not that hard. Some people might be scared soldering, but if you have an aftermarket tuner, you don’t need to worry about the resistor mod. If you go with the K&N or some other thicker filter, you can skip the block off plate steps.

I REALLY like the look of these filters installed. All the pictures I’ve posted don’t do it justice in person. It reminds me of a custom look that a hotrod shop would have built. I personally think it adds to the “muscle” look of the Mean Streak, and since its an effective mod as well, all that’s all the better. I got all these parts for less than $50 and the install took me about 3 hours to do, but that involved taking all the pictures for this walkthrough.

Some people ask if its dangerous to have those filters exposed like that. They say, won’t they get damaged if they get wet? Well sure, any filter isn’t supposed to be exposed to water, but all of the other aftermarket air mods have exposed filters so this is no worse. Compared to the Tornado mod, which involves a single cone filter protruding out of the right side of your engine, I’d say this mod is even safer since these filters tuck nicely into the engine and are shielded a bit more by the bike.

You obviously wouldn’t want to get caught in a big storm with these installed, and you will want to take care to not get them wet when washing your bike, but that’s just common sense if you ask me.

Heres a couple more pictures of the filters installed. Like I said, they do not do the bike justice.

I know that you posted this eons ago but I was wondering if you could help. I recently did this mod with one exception that I did remove the ics and now my idle is bouncing between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I don't appear to have a vacuum leak but I am also new. Lol any help on this subject would be appreciated

301 - 302 of 302 Posts