Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've previously had a 2000-Suzuki 1500 LC and a 2003 Nomad and for some reason I sold my Nomad 4 years ago. I'm getting the bug to buy another bike and I'm looking at a 2008 Vulcan 2000 classic LT. I'm 6'2", 235 and my wife likes to ride with me, so I'm looking for a bike that can handle both of us. I've read some of the forums about the belt chirp problem. It sounds like it's a correctable problem. One question I have is, how does this bike corner. My Suzuki had a mono rear shock and it caused the bike to wander through long sweeping curves. I'd appreciate any other advise or warnings anyone could provide.
Thanks for the help.
Lob8

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. This site is where a person can get the real story. Hopefully it works out that I own another Vulcan, whether it's a 2000 LT or another Nomad. That seems to be what I've narrowed it down to.
Lob8,

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Yep... you'll hear the good, the bad and the ugly on bikes here. Prolly the most complete site I've ever been on. Good luck!

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I'd recommend either posting this question in the cruiser section or contacting a Mod and asking them to move it for you. It'll get more hits in there. Oh, and welcome!!!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
My previous ride was a Vulcan 2000, and prior to that I rode a Mean Streak. the Vulcan 2000 handles suprisingly well for an 800 pound cruiser...and pulls like a freight train...all the time..regardless of weight or condition. It likely wouldn't even feel a passenger along for a ride.

It can haul along the Interstate at 100mph all day without so much as whispering a concern. I never experianced any belt whine issues during the time I owned the V2K. It has a lot to to with correct belt tension and alignment I believe. If you're throttle happy she will eat rear tires on a frequant basis...but it's worth it for the torque and power she puts out.

As I've said many a time...just don't take one for a ride unless you're ready to purchase.

Best of luck.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The V2K is a great bike - I've had mine for almost 4 years now and have no plans to replace it with anything else.

For most folks the belt chirp/whine issue is just a matter of correctly setting the belt tension. The factory specs for the belt tension seem to be too tight and setting the belt at a slighter looser setting should fix the noise issue.

When riding two up on the bike I found that the factory shock would bottom out on hard bumps and pot holes and also wallow and wander through long sweepers like you described. I fixed the problem on my bike by installing an Ohlins Metric Cruiser shock.

I say go for the V2K. You won't regret it.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
agree 100% with remarks above. hav my 2007 V2K LT for 3 yrs now with zero issues. and YES the read shock needs to be set higher esp for two up riding

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Contemplating purchasing a 2008 vulvan 2000 LT

is the "vulvan" the 4 wheel box version

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
just make sure its properly trimmed and adjusted

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
That version also has a wonderful self-lubricating gearbox. ..Providing you finger the starter button correctly.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Glad to see I wasn't the only one! :lol: Can a mod please fix the title of the thread?! All I see is VULVAn when I look at it! :lol:

·
Vulcan 900 Classic LT
151 Posts
Hey Lob, I live in southern Mn and a dealer here has a new 2008 2000 vulcan LT on his show room floor priced at aprox $13000.00. The 2 year warranty starts when you transfer title. Very nice looking bike and my opinion is it is priced right.
Just thought I would give you something to think about or compare to another dealer.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Hey Lob, I live in southern Mn and a dealer here has a new 2008 2000 vulcan LT on his show room floor priced at aprox $13000.00. The 2 year warranty starts when you transfer title. Very nice looking bike and my opinion is it is priced right.
Just thought I would give you something to think about or compare to another dealer.
If you look around you can probably get it even cheaper. Here's a new 2008 Classic LT from a dealer in Delano, MN that's asking $11,299:

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 classic lt for sale in Delano, Minnesota - CycleTrader.com

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I have an '08 V2K. I never had any problems scraping while going around corners. It is a nice comfy bike capable of 2 up touring all day long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about misspelling VULCAN, that got things a little twisted back there. I'm a bike rider that can't spell. I appreciate al yur hep.
Thanks,
The Lob,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts