Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to ride without the windshield whenever I'm in back roads or short rides. But the windshield will be quite welcomed if I'm going to be on the highway for any extended period of time. So I've been thinking about ways to make removal/installation quicker and easier. It is held in place by 4 hex bolts & nuts. What if I replaced them with some type of quick release lever bolts like the ones in bicycle wheels and seats? Have any of you seen quick release bolts/levers that would be small enough to do the job, and look cool at the same time?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yep

I like to ride without the windshield whenever I'm in back roads or short rides. But the windshield will be quite welcomed if I'm going to be on the highway for any extended period of time. So I've been thinking about ways to make removal/installation quicker and easier. It is held in place by 4 hex bolts & nuts. What if I replaced them with some type of quick release lever bolts like the ones in bicycle wheels and seats? Have any of you seen quick release bolts/levers that would be small enough to do the job, and look cool at the same time?
Seat Quick Release

Check that link out and go to the bottom of the page. The mod is for a Nomad but its the same brackets as on the 900. I've compared mine to the Windshield in the pic and i'm pretty sure it would work. Anyone else have any input on it, because i was thinking of doing it this winter along with a few other mods to my 900LT

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ace hardware has those knobs, but don't know if they have them in metric. Good idea though. The other option of cutting the openings so you don't have to remove the bolts is nice. Not much a fan of cutting through chrome plated stuff because of creating a starting place for rust.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with not wanting to cut them. If for no other reason than the fact that if I screw up the cut I could end up having to pay for a new bracket. I may just get the knobs for the saddlebags and windshield though. Any idea why he uses plastic instead of stainless or aluminum? Is it just a matter of preference or is there a reason not to use metal?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Never thought of the knobs when I hard mounted my bags. Just keep a small crescent on the bike, and if they need to come off, I'm done in about 2 minutes.
Looking at the exploded parts diagram, it's a nut / bolt combo (8X16 bolt) for the four screws on the sides. Unless you just want to keep it all metric, you should be able to find some standard size stainless knobs/nuts that fit the hole and go with those.
Found this site w/ some stainless metric knobs-studs.

J.W. Winco Standard Parts Section 8 - Knobs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts