Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some of the bikes that Russell Mitchell at Exile Cycles and I really like them. I think I'm going to either buy a fabricated kit from them, or some other similar style elsewhere. Here is my question:

The Exile bikes all have secondary chain drives and I'm wondering how difficult it is to convert that to belt. Will there be some mods to the transmission? Does it matter what the primary drive is? Is it just a matter of changing two sprokets?

Any help here, as usual, would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
John Roskelley

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I do like their bikes also (more than any other custom bikes I seen). I think the best bet is to asked them directly.

If you do get their bike kit, I will be interested in your progress report.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently they have a final drive belt option, but it will only accomodate a 7" rear wheel. Anyone know how wide of a tire we can put on a 7? Also, on their website they state that they use a chain as the final drive option because it's a better solution for today's more powerful engines. Thoughts?

If all of this works out to be what we want, then we're definitely getting a kit from Exile. I'll let you know how it progresses. We'll take pictures all along the way.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I personally prefer chain over belt. Generally, chain is stronger but in the future, someone may come up with belt material that is as strong as chain. So, I tend to agree that a chain is better w/ powerful engines. As a comparison, powerful sport bikes and muscle bikes have chains. Also, I think the chain looks better than the belt on the type of bikes they have.

If my math is correct (1 inch = 2.54 CM = 25.4 mm), 7 inch is approximatley 180 mm so it will accommodate 180 wheel.

Looking forward to the report.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I just found that their 7" wheel will accomodate either a 200mm or a 230mm Avon tire. Guess I should read a little more before I start posting...LOL.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chain VS Belt

I ride an 02 Kawasaki vulcan 800 classic. I bought it cause it reminded me of the bikes of old. they were all chain drive. What advantage does a belt give you. Its quieter?? If you wear a full face helmet or even a half, once your moving you cant hear the chain. If you removed your stock exhaust you surely cant hear the chain. An, The belt looks ugly. I see a real nice looking harley, and it has a belt sticking out the back just kills the image of the bike. NEXT. Chains are very forgiving. Belts are not. You can leave as much as 10 mms of slack in a chain, not in a belt. Belts are not forgiving and they dont stretch or give. That puts unnescessary pressure on the output shaft bearing and seal. Most conversion kits give you a belt tensioner guage with the kit cause its soo critical and THE TENSION must be kept adjusted properly at all times. If its too tight you can wear out hard parts rapidly. If its too loose, you could shear off teeth from the belt and they aint cheap. The sprockets or cogs as they are called are usually made of aluminum and DO wear and they aint cheap. I know they are a little cleaner but much more of a hastle to keep in adjustment. The belt alone is about $140-$170 each. Just the belt. It will last just as long as the chain unless you get a pebble caught up in it, then its over. The chain will just crush it. If you really want it, go to www.scootworks.com they sell nice conversions. I thought of it. No more grease on the rear wheel. thats about the only advantage. Hey I have to wash the bike once in a while anyway. Lube the chain the night before. The wax type lube will set up overnight, and next morning just wipe off the excess before you ride. It wont get all over the rear wheel. Dont over lube the chain. you just want to keep the O-Rings moist. The chain is prelubed from the factory. think it over. But you'll Like SCOOTWORKS

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I have read others opinions of chains versus belts.....and it appears that chains win for durability and longevity.

I have only owned bikes with chains and shaft drive so I cannot offer an opinion about belts.....but it would seem that unless the material is nearly indestructable....you might be better served going with a chain.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have to agree with Knightrider, although I've never owned a bike with belt drive a chain seems much more sensible. One of the things I liked about my 800 Vulcan was the chain drive. I like the nostalgic look of the chain and the ease of maintenance.

Smooth roads,
Kyle

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think its a dead issue , i have all three drive systems and have rode
chain,belt,shaft for years and had good reliable service from all 3 systems
i think it comes down to this:

chain drive=guy who wrenches
belt drive=guy who wrenches a little
shaft drive=guy who never wrenches

:grin:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chain VS Belt

Your right Bikeaholic, its wrenches VS rubber gloves. But honestly, a chain on a bike just looks better. To Me anyway.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree,it has more to do with the look of the bike to me

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
HUH? :shock:

I have shaft drive and I don't need any wrenches?

Whew....and just when I was about to change the spark plugs. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts