Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me convince my dad not to buy a bike. He's had two prior dislocations already due to motorcycle accidents. He's 65 (I know, still strong) and I've told him his hero biking days are over but he won't stop. I'm asking for help because I don't know what else to tell him to convince him not to buy a bike. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
A son's love for his father, and visa versa, confuses many. I can only imagine how dismal my life would have been had I not owned and ridden bikes for all these yrs (my current '07 has 106,xxx miles on it). So basically what it sounds like you're saying is, "Dad, you're too irresponsible and too old to ride a motorcycle anymore." If you were my kid I'd give you a size 11 boot right in the middle of the arse towards the front door.

By far the best thing you can do is talk it out with him. Express your concerns, do the research and suggest safety courses and offer to pay for it. IMO it's not on him- YOU have to do something besides whine, YOU have to suffer through it. After all, it's YOU that has the problem here, not him. And LISTEN UP SONNY- if anywhere in any conversation you use the words "irresponsible" or "old" or "fragile" you will immediately get tuned out, thrown out and ignored.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 66 years old and still riding my Voyager and loving it. As stated above pay for him to take the safety course and that will give him good tips about riding safely.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think one of the worst things you can say to an older person is that they are too old to do something. It should be his decision. My wife is pretty much okay with me riding my motorcycle, or most anything maybe dangerous that I want to do because the way she sees it, the worst thing I could do is sit in my recliner and do nothing.

Tell him you love him and worry about him and you wish he would give up riding but don't dare tell him he's too old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uhm, I don't remember using the word 'old' in my message so please hold off your fumes. :)

Yes, I've supported him with his love for bikes before. In fact, I did encourage him to bike. Ever since my mom left us he's been going to therapy to cope with his loneliness and his therapist advised him to do something that he loves, so this.

When he had two dislocations, I felt compelled to discourage him to bike. I lost my mom and I didn't want to lose him too. I am just a concerned son looking for some help here. I hope you understand.

If I do not convince him to stop, however, I would take your suggestion and pay for a safety course for him. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
some extra lessons from a driving school would not hurt after such a long time not driving a motorcycle.
get a 250, much more easy, low weigt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This message sounds like it was wrote by my son. I'm 68 my birthday and lost my wife to cancer last May. I bought me a bike last Wednesday, haven't had one for 30 years, but had many in my younger days. My son can NOT believe I still have a motorcycle license after all these years. He don't like bikes and thinks they are too dangerous. He asked me if I had a death wish now that moms gone. I told him nope, and I had many bikes before him, and gave them up right after he was born. I am pretty weak and have a bad right knee but it seems I can handle my Vulcan Classic safely. Couldn't do one any heavier though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought me a bike last Wednesday, haven't had one for 30 years, but had many in my younger days.
Hi Charlie, it's cool you're getting back into riding. If you haven't ridden in 30 years, I'd highly suggest taking one of the MSF classes just to refresh/update your skills and knowledge -- maybe that will make your son feel a little better too (maybe he could take the class also). The roads are a bit crazy these days with half the drivers talking/texting/surfing the web on their phone. Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Charlie, it's cool you're getting back into riding. If you haven't ridden in 30 years, I'd highly suggest taking one of the MSF classes just to refresh/update your skills and knowledge -- maybe that will make your son feel a little better too (maybe he could take the class also). The roads are a bit crazy these days with half the drivers talking/texting/surfing the web on their phone. Have fun and ride safe!
Don't think I need that. Yea the roads are more dangerous now than when I quit riding. But I bought a bike that I can handle safely. I raced motocross in the mid to late 70s and rode street bikes till 86 or so. Also had some pretty fast snowmobiles to about 2001, then went drag racing. Built my own tube chassis 92 Grand Am and sold it after my heart attack in 2010.

I rode a Yamaha 1200 Vmax last week and decided that might be a bit too much, but it was fun. When I walked into the dealership last Wednesday, talked to a young salesman. I rode a 1200 Sportster, he said I have to ride along side on another bike. I said no problem, he came out with some sort of scooter, I laughed, and asked him how he was going to keep up. I put the Sporty through the paces, then told him I wanted to ride the 800 Vulcan. He brought out the 800A and I rode it, didn't like it, but bought the 800B.

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
I started like you Charlie on the 800B after some 20 yrs of not riding. And I too rode in dirt & sand, and raced some, etc. I rode the 800 for a few months then had the opportunity to take the MSF course. Best thing I ever did. I was "fine" on my own but the course reminded me of things I had forgotten and not practiced for decades. Plus, 2 other things: A) where I live if you pass the MSF course you are not required to take the riding half of the exam to get your M endorsement. Just pass the written test and you're good; and B) every insurance company I shopped with gave at least a 10% discount for having done the course. Here it is 15 yrs later and I still get that same discount.

I understand you feel you may not "need" it to ride on the road, I did too and probably would have been fine. But still, I highly recommend to please reconsider. It's worth it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts