Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most California motor cops are cool...........some aren't. I was traveling west on the 210 about 2 weeks ago, before we had all the rain. It was a nice, clear, dry day and I was buzzing down the car pool lane. Here, we have car pool lanes. It's a dedicated lane off to the left for those cars with two or more occupants. It is also open to motorcycles. I like to rise in the carpool lane on this particular section, because the is a wide, smooth shoulder to the left that you could use to escape if need be. I was tooling along about 80, as was everyone around me. I noticed a motor cop coming up behind me at a pretty good clip. I thought about backing off, but he would have heard me do that in my pipes. I didn't want him to know that I knew that I was 10 mph over the speed limit. I just moved slowly to the left of the lane so he could pass. When he got next to me, he pointed at me and gave me a "slow down" gesture with his hand. I nodded and backed it down. He speed off and proceeded to light up the car that was about 100 yards in front of me. I thought that was pretty cool and I will adhere to 70 the next time through.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had a cop do that to me as well, but it was mostly cause me and a friend jumped off the line at an intersection, not cause we were speeding. Don't know if he could've given me a ticket for anything, but i always appreciate a warning instead of a ticket.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Very cool indeed.

I had a similar experience back in November. I was heading into Atlanta on I-20, in the left lane going "somewhat" over the speed limit. I saw "something" up ahead of me in the breakdown lane, I thought it was just another biker having a problem. It was a biker alright, cop with his radar gun pointed at me and everyone else. By the time I realized what was happening it didn't really matter if I slowed or not so I just kept cruising. The cop gave me a thumbs up as I went by! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Definitely cool when that happens and what a big sigh of relief as well.

I had a similar issue coming from Daytona many moons ago and cruising about 80 in the left lane when all the cars behind me started merging to the right lane and a state trooper came very fast on me. I moved to the right lane as well, slowed down and maintained focus straight ahead. The trooper stayed with me until I looked over which he then gestured with one hand flashing "five five" for fifty five. I nod OK and he went on his way. As he pulled away, I waved thank you and he waved back.

Yep, some cops are cool.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
This is not a slam on cops............but the motor cops around here aren't really very friendly. To anyone.................
Hmmmm.......as many times as I've almost been hit in my short two years of riding by people on cell phones, doing makeup, eating etc, not sure I'd be very nice if I was a motorcycle cop either! :lol:

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Warnings are nice. I had an officer who was sitting in a side street one night see me coming down the hill moving a little too quickly. He flashed his red and blues, but just kept sitting there. I've had that happen more than once on the freeway too.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
I'm in the valley, and I've had that a few times, from motors and patrol cars. I even got that once from a motor officer running a radar. And I was WAY out in front of the rest of the pack.

This is not a slam on cops............but the motor cops around here aren't really very friendly. To anyone.................
This is true in a lot of places. Officers running traffic enforcement usually get pooped on the most, by virtue of doing their jobs. It's always baffled me that people want to argue so much when they get caught doing something illegal in the car / on the bike. So you don't find a whole lot of "nice" out there. Cold professionalism is a pretty accurate term I think.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is true in a lot of places. Officers running traffic enforcement usually get pooped on the most, by virtue of doing their jobs. It's always baffled me that people want to argue so much when they get caught doing something illegal in the car / on the bike..................
Hey......when you're caught you're caught. Best thing is to not break the law. The fact still remains that there is good and bad on both sides of the badge. What bugs me in when I am in a situation where I am assumed guilty until proven innocent.

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
Was rollin along coming into down town one night into a step down speed zone. 55-45-35-25 all within 3/4 of a mile. went from 55-45, then stayed with traffic. out of nowhere red and blues lit my field of vision up. me and three others spiked the brakes, out went the lights and on we went. Coulda been being nice.....the word lazy crossed my mind too....

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Around here it seems the officers have individual preferences on what traffic laws they want to enforce and which ones they prefer to ignore. Left lane driving is never enforced for example.
I think it depends on how much of a violation your creating. They may decide one bit of behavior by one vehicle is creating more of a hazard than something that we might think is worse. So, he might not enforce the left lane violation, but might see the guy passing on both sides as more dangerous.

Of course, around here, we have a lot of exits on the left side, so there's no way they could enforce people riding out in the left lane properly.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Well, some states make it illegal to simply drive in the left lane, unless passing. You simply cannot stay in the left lane indefinitely (not ALL states). Something to do with wear-n-tear, etc.

I live in a small town, and I know every policeman here by name. Graduated high school with one of them. Of course, working in high school for all those years, getting called out when the burglar alarm goes off, fire alarm goes off, working Friday night football games, Tuesday and Friday night basketball games, etc., I know all of them by sight. Two of them ride motorcycles. They have good days and they have bad days, just as anyone else. Doesn't mean that they are "good" or "bad" or "lazy." If you stay with traffic, you aren't likely to get pulled over no matter the speed.

Just don't call any attention to yourself and you should be fine in nearly every situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.