Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do about my shield fogging on me when the air temps drop? I'm having to ride around with the shield cracked and it gets chilly.

Thankyou

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
shhhh.. a better venting helmet....

I've seen some anti fog stuff you can put on your shield that should help. See the optometrist or possibly at your local drug store.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
My Shoie RF-900 has a breath gaurd, it doesn't work that well if you wear glasses. Your glasses tend to fog. Be carefull on the type of anti-fog you use on your sheild as I found, some brands start melting the plastic.

When I know I'll be riding in the cold, I keep the shield cracked open, and/or wear a bandana in the "old west train robber" style under my helmet.

Seems to work pretty well, even with glasses on.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I never thought of other helmets not being able to keep their shield from fogging up while riding.... Sure would be nice to find a way to test that feature before you buy a helmet....

Does your helmet fog in the cold???????

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Find out from your dealer if the manufactor of the helmet also make snowmobile helmets . A few of the companies do ,an they make a double layered shield which helps keep the inner shield from fogging down to about 10 degree's. the anti fog stuff helps for a couple of hours an thats about it. The breath deflectors you guys are talking about don't work very well .( never have seen one that did) Been riding at -25 degrees before an nothing help at all so you crack the shield a bit an instant freeze on the face. Only did that once by the way.

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The helmet is a HJC. I think that it is a CL-14, not certain on that though. It is, okay as long as I'm moving at high speed, but get below 40 and it will start to fog up. The slower I go the worse it gets.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I keep mine cracked a bit, too. Just a tiny bit is all I need to keep it from fogging up. I rode to work yesterday morning when it was 45 degrees outside, and my face didn't get all that cold.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
helmet fogging

ok, here goes. i grew up riding snowmobiles in the time when even snowmobile helmets where basically the same as bike helmets. no matter what i did, i had to keep the shield cracked a little, otherwise no sight at all. a few years back manufacturers started to make snowmobile helmets with a flip up face, like a Shoei Syncrotec or HJC Symax. the difference is that they have a breather mask instead of a breath diverter. they sort of remind me of a fighter jet pilot mask. i purchased on made by AGV/Lazer two years ago. i usually start wearing it around this time or in a couple weeks. at least in the mornings when it is quite cold. i have left my house when the mercury was at 17 degrees and had no problem at all with fogging in that helmet. now i just need a snowmobile to catch up to my snowmobile riding gear !! hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

a girl sitting behind you and you'll breath enough to keep it clear :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've heard that...

A single drop of dishwashing soap applied to the INSIDE of the helmet shield/ visor will keep it from fogging up. The soap should be applied evenly to the visor and then the excess soap needs to wiped away. I haven't personally tried this trick yet but I picked it up from the Kawasaki ZRX owners organization forum, www.zrxoa.com.
BTW since this is my first post here, I should introduce myself. My name is Jason and I own a 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 and a 2005 Ninja 500R. I totally love my ZRX and I'm beginning to like my 500R more and more on a daily basis. I purchased the little Ninja so that my girlfriend could ride along with me on long trips rather than ride two-up on my ZRX. I'm still breaking the Ninja in but I can tell it will be a fun bike to ride... it's far from a ZRX but fun nevertheless... the ZRX's monster torque has got me spoiled :p .
Anyways, I live in Texas and the temperature is still in the 80's so I can't try out the soap trick myself at this point. Maybe someone else in colder weather can attest to the success of this tip...

J

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Try another face shield

Try another face shield and keep it coated with or get one that is already fog resistant...keeping the crack will prevent fogging, but it is annoying to keep fiddling with the shield all the time...The ultimate solution is to make the next helmet purchase one that has much better venting...

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Cat Crap works pretty well but it does not last all that long.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY THIS

Try adding a piece of Saran Plastic wrap to the shield...using a little water and or a hair dryer stretch it over the face shield and then carefully trim it at the edges....if it doesn't work just peal it off and throw it away///sometimes the trick works...in hi humididy rainy areas...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
RampRat Sr said:
Cat Crap works pretty well but it does not last all that long.
I can't tell if thats a joke or your serious Ramp :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts