Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, just a refresher. I have a kawasaki zr 400 (xanthus). Created a thread a while back because of coolant queries. So upon further use of the bike, after about 2 weeks of commute, I inspected the coolant in the rad, have found that theres no water and coolant left in it, though it never overheated and the temp gauge is always on its half scale. Question is, is it normal for the water in the rad to disappear in the 2 weeks of ride? Where do you think the water goes? I dont seem to see any puddle of water on the garage floor. What could be the possiblem problems in my cooling system. TIA guys.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
No, it's not normal for it to be empty. If your temp. gauge is staying put, your temp. sensor isn't working right.

Can't really tell you where the coolant is going, but check your oil and see what it looks like. Wish I could tell you more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's not normal for it to be empty. If your temp. gauge is staying put, your temp. sensor isn't working right.

Can't really tell you where the coolant is going, but check your oil and see what it looks like. Wish I could tell you more.
Thanks, one more thing, pardon me of my ignorance but will i be looking for contaminants in the oil through the glass sight? If ever the coolant goes and mixes with the oil, you see im using a colored yellow coolant. Will the oil have somewhat have a mix of yellow coolant for me to confirm if it goes with the oil? And if ever it does, what could be wrong with the bike and the possible fix. TIA.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Your oil could have coolant leaking into it. That's the worst case scenario. Take a screw driver and dip into where you add oil at. See if it's any other color than oil should be, and if it's thinner than oil should be.

There are many places the coolant could be going, may be as simple as a pin hole in your radiator. When the coolant circulates through the radiator, evaporation could be occurring, and the loss occurring there.

I would check every inch of the system. Fill it up, ride it a short while, stop, check it from top to bottom.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just filled it up yesterday and went for a ride. Haven't notice anything unusual, my temp gauge I think is fine and working. When the bike has just been started and its still cold the temp gauge is on the very low side, but after about 10 kms above of stop and go traffic ( traffic here's sucks! ) it would climb to about 1/4 of the gauge and the fan clicks in. The temp would see halfway of the gauge. So Im assuming that the temp gauge is working. Never seen it past the halfway mark though.Ill be trying to take a look at it when daylight comes, its still dark here on this side, its early dawn. Be taking the bike for a short ride later. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just took a look at the oil contaminants, the screwdriver cant be lowered down the oil sump. Used a piece of wire and I think that thers no coolant with the oil, but seems I need to change my oil this month. Theres also no trace of any color of the coolant, Im really puzzled on this. If my rad contineously loosing coolant, where does it go? No leaks o the floor and on the bike whatsoever, really puzzled.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Do you see any drips coming from the coolant overflow bottle? About eight years ago I had a problem with a bike losing water. It was caused by a head gasket leak allowing pressure into the water system. This would push my coolant out of the overflow only while the engine was running. One way to check for this is to remove the radiator cap WHILE THE ENGINE IS COLD. Start the engine and watch the water in the radiator as it runs. If you see bubbles forming as the engine warms to operating temperature, you may have a leak into the cooling system.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Do you see any drips coming from the coolant overflow bottle? About eight years ago I had a problem with a bike losing water. It was caused by a head gasket leak allowing pressure into the water system. This would push my coolant out of the overflow only while the engine was running. One way to check for this is to remove the radiator cap WHILE THE ENGINE IS COLD. Start the engine and watch the water in the radiator as it runs. If you see bubbles forming as the engine warms to operating temperature, you may have a leak into the cooling system.
+10 I'd check there next.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the inputs guys, when I flushed the rad 3 weeks ago and filled it with new coolantjust let the bike idle for a while until the fan kicked in. When I apply throttle the water in the rad would circulate more but when I left it idling until the engine' run hot it will overflow and I will put a slight throttle again and it will make the water circulate and not overflow.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
You should see circulation and it probably will overflow just a bit if you filled cold. What you don't want to see is bubbles! Do the test as Charlie wrote it. If there are bubbles engine compression is getting into the coolant passages.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If the sensor isn't submerged in water it's not going to get an accurate reading. Your bike could be overheating and the temp might not go past half.

If your radiator is losing coolant this fast you need to stop riding the bike and find out where its going, or keep a jug of coolant handy.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
I didn't know about the coolant change before. I don't know your bike in detail, but there may be a procedure to bleed air from the cooling system when filling. Maybe it never did get filled all the way.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Thanks, one more thing, pardon me of my ignorance but will i be looking for contaminants in the oil through the glass sight? If ever the coolant goes and mixes with the oil, you see im using a colored yellow coolant. Will the oil have somewhat have a mix of yellow coolant for me to confirm if it goes with the oil? And if ever it does, what could be wrong with the bike and the possible fix. TIA.
Coolant into oil usually makes a foamy white froth that you can see.

It is likely a blown head gasket if you see that.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I didn't know about the coolant change before. I don't know your bike in detail, but there may be a procedure to bleed air from the cooling system when filling. Maybe it never did get filled all the way.
Bingo, just what I was thinking. Modern sytems can almost never be completely filled cold because the thermostat traps air.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coolant has only two possible paths to escape:

1) Leak out (should be visible)

2) Blown out the tailpipe (should be running lousy)
Thats exactly what I have in mind. I didi notice that my exhaust is wet sometimes after a ride, I thought it was fuel but when Touched and smelled it ddint smell like fuel, so Im assuming its water. But if ever water is coming out on the exhaust, what is the reason why and how could I fix it? Just this morning I talked with a parts guy out here and asked how much is the cylinder head gasket. He asked me what hte problem is that Im needing a gasket, so I told him. He said that I should get s new rad cap but tolad me also to stay away from the ones that came from cars. Here i the PI, guys put here use rad caps from cars that have the same pressure ratings. Some comments on this brothers. TIA

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Never seen a bike do it but have seen a few cars that blow the water out the exhaust. Most of them ran pretty good but they had 6-8 cylinders to work with so it wasn't as noticeable as it should be on your bike. From those that I've seen it was always the head gasket or a cracked head that caused it. Sorry but can't answer your question about the rad caps. Never worked on that area of a water cooled bike.

Hows things in the PI? It's been a lot of years since I've been there but sure miss it. Spent a lot of time scuba diving off Grande Island and running around the Olongapo area. I even managed to get over to Manila once.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Thats exactly what I have in mind. I didi notice that my exhaust is wet sometimes after a ride, I thought it was fuel but when Touched and smelled it ddint smell like fuel, so Im assuming its water. But if ever water is coming out on the exhaust, what is the reason why and how could I fix it?
Blown head gasket or cracked head.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts