Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok 97 1500 Classic. Long story short, I let it idle and about 30min. later I went out and there it was sittind on a puddle of steaming coolant, and adding more by the second coming out of rubber tube on the bottom of the bike. I am a noob to this Hobby/lifestyle, and even more so to the bike itself. Is this a real bad thing or is it somewhat normal?:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not normal and it's not good. The fan should have turned on to prevent overheating. Leaving it idleing for 30 min. is not a good thing to do.
As I said, long story........I did not mean to do it, but it happened nonetheless, the fan did kick on, and was working, also I noticed the coolant light was NOT on, I was wondering if it is possible that there may have been to much coolant in the engine ro begin with? I did not appear to cause any problems, as the bik still runs as it did before this happened. Is there anyting that may have been damaged that I should check?

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Might want to check to see how tight those hose clamps are around your rad hoses. My old 800 decided to leak one day, and the fix was just to tighten down the hose clamps. Try to find out where the leak is coming from. If you can't, take it to a mechanic you trust and perhaps they could do a pressure test to see where the leak is coming from and then repair it. Hope it's not your rad that is blown. Oh and congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
SOunds like your cooling fan failed to kick in. If It had, you would have noticed. Alsoyou could have blown a cooling line. You did not say what the tempersture gaugewas indicating, but I hope you got it cooled down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might want to check to see how tight those hose clamps are around your rad hoses. My old 800 decided to leak one day, and the fix was just to tighten down the hose clamps. Try to find out where the leak is coming from. If you can't, take it to a mechanic you trust and perhaps they could do a pressure test to see where the leak is coming from and then repair it. Hope it's not your rad that is blown. Oh and congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum.
It wasent a "leak" It was coming out of what I believe to be the overflow tube for the coolant resivour.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOunds like your cooling fan failed to kick in. If It had, you would have noticed. Alsoyou could have blown a cooling line. You did not say what the tempersture gaugewas indicating, but I hope you got it cooled down.
The fan was running at the time, ad I dont have a temp guage on my bike. but the red coolant temp light was not on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to check the coolant level in the overflow tank and radiator. Get an owners manual. Study up.
the level of coolant is perfect right now, believe it or not the bike came with an oweners manual. I bought the bike from a dealership, and just assumed the levels were good when II bought the bike, but since the levels are good now there must have been too much in before right?

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
the coolant in the tank and the overflow are proper?????? Don't look at just the over flow tank the line would be plugged and now alowing the overflow bottle to work properly.... Tank the lid off the radiator and see what the coolant level. Is it possible the the Thermostat didn't open up? Only thing to do is check the levels again, start it up and use a Temp gun and moniter temps for a bit..... Or tank to the stealership and see what they say.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You need to check the coolant level in the overflow tank and radiator. Get an owners manual. Study up.
+1

Leaving it idle for that long, even with the fan on, got the engine very close to overheating.

The pressure release in the coolant cap did it's job and blew the excess pressure out into the overflow reservoir, but all of the coolant on the ground needs to be replaced.

With the bike cold, pull the side cover over the coolant reservoir... if you are lucky, there is still some coolant in it. That's good news, as all you need to do is bring it back up to the "cold" mark on the reservoir.

If the reservoir is dry, then you likely have drawn air into the cooling system. You will need to remove the tank and top off the system from the coolant cap, top off the reservoir, then "burp" any remaining air out of the system.

If you were REALLY lucky, someone before you overfilled the reservoir and you may not need to do anything. The reservoir is an "expansion chamber" of sorts that allows the system to vent excess pressure, then when temperature drops, it allows the system to draw coolant back in to keep air out. If the reservoir is "topped off" to the cap when cold, then ANY expansion in the system will cause this excess to blow out the overflow line on the bottom.

If the reservoir was overfilled and it is currently above the "cold" mark on the side with the bike cold, then what you observed was "normal" and could have happened on a hot day climbing a steep hill and you probably would not have known it.

BUT.... Never let the bike idle for more than 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUT.... Never let the bike idle for more than 5 minutes or so.[/QUOTE]

Right on, I will never do that again, thats for sure. I had started it up to take it out of the garage to put brakes on my wifes car, and just got side tracked while working on that. I think all this really means is i need to get louder pipes on the bike!:mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts