Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed coolant today, close to the recommended 2 year interval, on my 2001 1500 FI (bought new October, 2002). I am a DYIer so followed the service manual with the following exceptions:

1. Did NOT fully remove the fuel tank - was not necessary, was able to tilt the tank to the left from the driver seat viewpoint and only removed one hose (the fuel cap drain line at the extreme rear of the tank). I did remove nearly all the fuel by running it out riding (the fun part) and then using a manual pump.
2. During the fuel tank excercise, I did NOT have to remove the speedo assembly. Like the tank, once removed from the tank, I left the electrical connections intact and swung it over the handlebars and tie-wired it up so it would not get in the way, making sure the dial stayed up (a service manual MUST DO recommendation to prevent the speedo assembly from malfunctioning later).
3. I did NOT drain the water pump. Just thought that the small volume of coolant was insignificant, plus seeing the condition of the coolant from the radiator still had decent opacity, that it was not worth the risk of creating a possible leak point.

I did do the following:
1. Drain the overflow reservoir and rinsed it out with distilled water
2. Used Kawchem coolant (just to be totally safe - yeah, maybe the same as Prestone), reduced 50/50 with distilled water
3. Opened the air bleed on top of the thermostat housing to expel air
4. Sprayed silicone on the rubber parts that slide together during reassembly - makes it easier next time
5. Used NeverSeez on the overflow and fuel tank bolts during reassembly
6.. Started the bike and got it hot in the garage, then let it cool to monitor the overflow reservoir and made sure it did not go dry.
7. Went out for a ride afterward and then brought it in to change the oil and filter. I swear it ran even better aftward :grin:
8. Feel good about knowing no one else messed with my bike and did something wrong (like pinching wires, scratching paint or chrome, or using tap water to dilute the coolant). :smile: :smile:

Kind of fun doing your own maintenance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good job TMAN. I should do that with my bike.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
yeah, i think i will do mine this winter, just because the bike is apart. not sure what the recommended mileage is, but i am sitting at 8200 anyways. thanks for the info T

·
Registered
159 Posts
Antifreeze Change

Hi Guyz:
Just a thought. Coolant isnt that expensive and since it fills every part of your engine, its not a bad idea to change it every year. Granted, it will never freeze, but its other properties are boiled out over time. Anti rust, anti oxidation, anti corrosives and more all leave after a while. remember it works harder in your bike than it does in your car. And yes, Prestone is just as good as any other. Dont trust your overflow tank to fill a half full cooling system. Too many time I have seen people add coolant to their overflow tank and think the system is full only to open the radiator cap and find that its half empty. It works on vacuum created by the coolant shrinking when cold. If you have the slightest leak in the line between the tank and radiator, it wont suck coolant from the overflow tank. Also, if your radiator isnt full to begin with, it cant creat a vacuum because of the air space left in the radiator. physically remove the radiator cap from time to time and check the level there first before filling the overflow tank.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i will second the practice of a yearly coolant change,especially you mileage riders :wink:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points, Knightrider. While I did fill my radiator up to the cap, I did not get any seepage of coolant from the air bleed on the thermostat housing.
Another point is that the line from the radiator to the overflow tank drains and fills with air so it will take a bit of vacuum to pull the fluid back up to the radiator.

Thought of capping the radiator and putting a low pressure on the overflow tank and opening the air bleed on top until fluid came out. Might be getting a bit a*al about this!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'd say more like attention to detail T :wink:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
The exchange of information is valuable no matter what the job is. That's why I enjoy reading all of the members posts. What works and doesn't work can be shared and spares others the frustration of doing it the wrong way.

Good job and thanks for sharing! :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Idaho said:
Why do you use distilled water for dilution? I've done a lot of coolant changes over the years but not on a bike yet. Is there some reason a motorcycle needs the distilled water? Thanks
Bump

·
What EPA stuff officer?
127 Posts
Rubline said:
There are no minerals or other crap in distilled water to foul up the cooling system.
Purest water you can buy in the store. Not really good for people to drink though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts