Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Mean Streak, it is required to remove the fuel tank in order to change the coolant. Has anyone ever been able to do so without removing the tank? Any others who's bike requires them to remove the tank ever change their coolant with the tank on?

Most of the hassle is removing the tank, while the rest is easy. I'm tired of dealing with it and hoping I can change coolant another way, though, I'm not holding my breath.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
The 800 calls for removing the tank as well, but that requires removing the back wheel, etc. I just used a hose to siphon the tank without removing it. The rest of the coolant should drain from the block from a bolt under the bike.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir ;)

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to remove the tank. Taking the tank off is easy, I've done it numerous times although I've never changed the coolant. That stuff lasts a long time, are you sure you need to change it? But if you do the job here is a bit of good advice I learned from others on this forum: Check all of your hose clamp connections...they get loose now and then and you don't want that problem when you are on the road.
Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.

My bike is an 02 and I've yet to change the coolant. Though, it may appear to be ok, the protective chemicals and inhibitors can lose effect where they will no longer protect the system thoroughly. I'd rather be safe than sorry as I plan to have this bike for a long time.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh duh, I just reread your post, and realized you are probably talking about the gas tank. I was referring to the reservoir ;)

Im not familiar enough with the meanie...but remove the instrument cluster. If you can access the radiator cap underneath, then you do not have to remove the tank.
Unfortunately, the filler neck is directly under the front of the tank and requires the complete removal to access it.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Yes, it's easy, but it's also time consuming when you must remove the seat, disconnect wiring, remove the nacelle on the tank and wiring, disconnect the hoses under the tank, which is sometimes a dolor en mi culo, then remove the tank to gain access to the radiator cap/filler neck.
Ugh... i dread the day when I decide to get around to changing the coolant.. :(

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to do what Nike says, "just do it" and removed the tank. Overall, it took about two hours but I take my time and clean underneath whenever I remove the tank. At least I feel better knowing I have new fluids.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I decided to do what Nike says, "just do it" and removed the tank. Overall, it took about two hours but I take my time and clean underneath whenever I remove the tank. At least I feel better knowing I have knew fluids.
Good job. I was just looking at this maintenance in the manual. Too bad Kawa could not do a better job at making some of these maintenance items accessible without removing so much stuff. Take the oil, it is easy to do an oil change but you should not have to take off three parts to get to the filter. And you shouldn't have to remove the tank to change fluid. I don't know, maybe it's done to hide everything.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Too bad Kawa could not do a better job at making some of these maintenance items accessible without removing so much stuff. Take the oil, it is easy to do an oil change but you should not have to take off three parts to get to the filter.
What 3 parts are you referring to? The filter on my meanie is easily accessable under the bike without having to remove any anything else to get to it..

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I just realized by your picture that you're probably referring to the 900 Custom, and I do now recall all the crap I had to take off to get to the filter back when I had mine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good job. I was just looking at this maintenance in the manual. Too bad Kawa could not do a better job at making some of these maintenance items accessible without removing so much stuff. Take the oil, it is easy to do an oil change but you should not have to take off three parts to get to the filter. And you shouldn't have to remove the tank to change fluid. I don't know, maybe it's done to hide everything.
That freakin sucks. Part of me asks why they can't make designs easier for basic maintenance and the other parts says they probably want you to take it to them to work on.

A few friends of mine have the Yamaha Royal Star. That bike requires the removal of the exhaust to do an oil change or, more exact, the oil filter. What a pain.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That freakin sucks. Part of me asks why they can't make designs easier for basic maintenance and the other parts says they probably want you to take it to them to work on.

A few friends of mine have the Yamaha Royal Star. That bike requires the removal of the exhaust to do an oil change or, more exact, the oil filter. What a pain.
I thought oil filter relocate kits were available for the Yamaha bikes with the exhaust/oil filter issues.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought oil filter relocate kits were available for the Yamaha bikes with the exhaust/oil filter issues.
They are, but not all Royal Star owners want to pay $200 to $300 for the kit.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
They are, but not all Royal Star owners want to pay $200 to $300 for the kit.
Good point and it certainly makes no difference to me. But it seems like a lot of folks change out their stock seats on metric bikes...not sure if you can even get a Mustang seat for $300.00. Hell, folks spend more than that just for pieces of chrome...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
My brother rides a Yama 1100 V-Star and had the oil filter problem just once. Enough of that Shyyt, purchased and mounted the filter relocation kit after 500 miles. Best investment he ever made. He was pretty mad when I showed how easy it was to change filters on the 1600 classic.
Buzz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts