Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens if you drain coolant, flush with distilled water and vinegar once, then refill with coolant?

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
152 Posts
I wouldn't use the vinegar, its acidic, ruins aluminum. Try TSP, trisodium phosphate in clean water, very good degreaser, alkaline too. Btw, you don't need distilled water, just 'clean' water. Most engine coolants are either ethelene glycol or propylene glycol based, when they get over heated (burnt) they go acidic and start corrosion. That's the whole reason for the flush, unless its contaminated with oil. In that case you have other issues that a coolant flush wont solve. My opinion anyways.

·
Super Moderator
1,428 Posts
I use commercial radiator flush/clean products available at any auto supply store. As long as they are rated for aluminum they are fine. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

·
Super Moderator
10,850 Posts
Why do you think you need to do anything more than a simple drain and refill? The fact that you would consider putting vinegar in your cooling system indicates to me that maybe you should have a professional evaluate a course of action for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts