Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and to riding bikes as well. I recently bought an '04 Vulcan 500 LTD from a private party. I love it and it runs great! Only about 1,300 miles on her. There ARE a few things I've noticed however which I'm not sure if they need immediate attention or not. 1) After starting up, when shifting from neutral to 1st gear, there's a slight 'clunk' sound. Not really a grinding sound, just doesn't feel like the clutch is fully disengaged. BTW, this doesn't happen when upshifting or downshifting during rides. 2) I notice that a small amount(few drops) of coolant is collected on the fins on the left side of engine. I only see the coolant after the bike has sat in the garage for a few hours, after a ride. It never happens while riding(I check while waiting at red lights!). Any ideas on these two things? Also, could anyone recommend a good Kawi mechanic somewhere in the Northern Virginia(Fairfax County) area?

Thanks!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Have you checked your clutch adjustment per service manual? Next time you park the bike, dust the area where you see the leak with some baby/talc powder. That should help you locate the source of the leak when you return and the mess washes off easily with water.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Check the coolant hose on top of the left cylinder. There's a clamp that is probably loose. I imagine the coolant is coming out of the drain hole when it's on its sidestand.

These hoses have to be removed to do a valve job and rarely get tightened up enough when replaced ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts