Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 07 1600 classic and it just started leaking coolant about 4 weeks ago when it got really cold her in Memphis. The leak is coming from behind the air filter housing, I try to fix a lot of things myself and could use some advise on how to fix this.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
In my experience coolant leaks are more likely when it gets cold - metal contracts and can create enough space so that gaskets don't seal properly. and glycol tends to get through such spaces rather easily. Sounds like your leak may be from a head gasket. I've solved that sort of leak by torquing the head fasteners to spec. If that's the cure it's necessary to back each fastener off a couple of turns before tightening. Hopefully you won't need to replace the gasket. Or the problem could be as simple as a hose clamp which needs to be tightened. Coolant leaks can be hard to find - sometimes putting pieces of paper towel around the suspect areas and leaving them overnight can help find the exact area. Good luck.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
You're welcome, and I hope that the leak is simply because of a hose clamp. Cold weather also causes the glycol molecules to contract so they can escape more readily. Please keep us updated.

There are quite a few of us on this forum who know the Lord. Thanks also for your good wishes, and may you ride safely as well!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Most likely a hose clamp, vulcans can be notorious for having loose hose clamps. Specifically the smaller ones that are between the cylinders up under the tank. Both my past vulcans had loose & leaking hose clamps in this position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do I remove the tank to get to those hoses, I try to do my own repairs on my bike and like to try and fix this myself. I was able to remove the air filter and intake system and could see several small hoses .

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
how do I remove the tank to get to those hoses, I try to do my own repairs on my bike and like to try and fix this myself. I was able to remove the air filter and intake system and could see several small hoses .
I've heard of guys being able to get a small wrench in to tighten the clamp without removing the tank. However, i had to remove the tank on my V2K (and part of the frame) to access the clamps, and I had to loosen and tilt up the tank on my Mean streak to access the clamps.

I'm not sure how you remove the tank on your bike, but it shouldn't be too hard.....just do it with an empty tank.........it's so much lighter and easier to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts