Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have a leak or does this happen? Recently when I park the bike after a ride, I sometimes notice a few drops (maybe a tablespoon) of coolant on the garage floor. I don't remember this happening until recently. Tonight I opened it up and poured about a cup of coolant in the reservoir.

Anybody got a hint? Do I have a problem of is this normal? I have a bit over 3k miles and this is the first time I've added coolant so I could live with it....

TIA

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check all of your coolant hose clamps...Vulcan's are notorious for loose clamps from the factory...just about every new Vulcan owner comes across this problem...I had to tighten each clamp almost two full turns each!

VulClass16

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my 900 back from the shop for pretty much the same issue. On my bike there was a little more than a hose clamp issue (so i am told - some sort of gasket/o-ring) Honestly I did not pay all that much attention as the work was covered under warranty.

I would say if you feel up to it try tightening the hose clamps and see if that takes care of it. If its still under warranty run over to a dealer and let them fix it for you (no need to live with the problem when the solution is already paid for!)

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Check all of your coolant hose clamps...Vulcan's are notorious for loose clamps from the factory...just about every new Vulcan owner comes across this problem...I had to tighten each clamp almost two full turns each!

VulClass16

This is true....I had a very small leak from the hose up top...turned out to be a very loose hose clamp...and this was after getting it back from the dealer for the 600 mile service.
All was OK after tightening them.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Yep, me too. Was the hose to the top of the rear jug, which I was able to give a 1/4 turn to without lifting the tank. It didn't happen to me till it got cold and the hose "shrunk". I have a SUV that does the same thing. Below 20 degrees and it drips for a few minutes till the coolant warms a bit--and the clamps are as tight as I can get them without feeling like I will strip them.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
...Anybody got a hint? Do I have a problem of is this normal? I have a bit over 3k miles and this is the first time I've added coolant so I could live with it....
If its a new bike, then you have a loose clamp somewhere -actually ALL the clamps will be loose on a new bike after the first few hundred miles.

I tell anyone who takes their new bike into the dealer for the 600 mile service to just go ahead and tell em its dripping coolant (even if you ain't seen it yet). Trust me every service shop knows they come like this and they should know to give each clamp a gentle turn for safe keeping.

OTOH, you could print out a hose diagram (can find em on the Kawasaki site) and learn to do it yourself -it will make you more familiar with your bike and help you avoid the dealer alltogether. :-D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its a new bike, then you have a loose clamp somewhere -actually ALL the clamps will be loose on a new bike after the first few hundred miles.

I tell anyone who takes their new bike into the dealer for the 600 mile service to just go ahead and tell em its dripping coolant (even if you ain't seen it yet). Trust me every service shop knows they come like this and they should know to give each clamp a gentle turn for safe keeping.

OTOH, you could print out a hose diagram (can find em on the Kawasaki site) and learn to do it yourself -it will make you more familiar with your bike and help you avoid the dealer alltogether. :-D
Way too late for the 600 service! Not too late for warranty, if there's anything serious wrong (8 months and about 3200 miles).

I'm gonna check all the clamps and will let you know what I find. Thanks for all the responses. I was just too lazy to try and find the source of the coolant. If It"s not the clamps I guess some deeper research will be in order! The dealer will be a last resort!

As for general knowing my bike, I figure it will come. While not a mechanic, I could probably, using due care, disassemble and reassemble a motor. It's just not something I like to do. I consider changing the oil in the cages a real chore

1 - 8 of 8 Posts