Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought one on deep sale at a local bricks and mortar store. It hasn't been warm enough here in Virginia Beach to use it, but once I do, I'll post.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Sorry I'm a little late in notcing the original post. However, I have one as well. I bought mine online from an industrial construction supply site and it is awesome. It is exactly the same as the Joe Rocket model, and cost less than half what Joe Rocket is asking for theirs. They are popular with road contruction crews, and flag persons as well as being usefull for bikers.

They work on an evaporative method, you soak them down and out them on under your jacket (under the jacket being critical) and then they pull the body heat off you and into the vest. In the heat of the summer, we will presoak them, then freeze them for about an hour in a large ziploc bag and take them with us to put on later. Well worth the investment if you ride in the heat a lot.

This is the brand I bought. I purchased two and had them shipped for the same price as a single Joe Rocket one.
TechNiche International

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
The Hubby had the Joe Rocket model mentioned above that was made to zip into his jacket. He ended up giving to a friend after a cross-country ride as the friend was going back across the country and to FL. He really liked it when he had it. It was a "soak it, wring it out, and put it on" type. Would cool you for a couple of hours, then keep you neutral for a few hours. Said it was crucial on those days when it was about 110 and they were cross the desert.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
I live in a hot climate region and it becomes very difficult for me to ride with full gear on . So , i also bought the cooling vest . It is far more comfortable now .
Which one did you get? Got a website?

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
I've heard of these, and been considering one for a while now. It doesn't get all that hot up here in the northeast, so I dunno how much use it'd get on my closer-to-home rides. On my occasional trips to hotter climes, I generally rely on a light colored, long sleeve t-shirt. A splash from my water bottle once in a while if it's really hot, and good to go.

They work on an evaporative method, you soak them down and out them on under your jacket (under the jacket being critical)...
What's so critical about having them under a jacket? Could you elaborate, please? Reason I'm asking is that I don't generally wear a jacket in the heat.

Did you order directly from TechNiche? Or another vendor? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I've heard of these, and been considering one for a while now. It doesn't get all that hot up here in the northeast, so I dunno how much use it'd get on my closer-to-home rides. On my occasional trips to hotter climes, I generally rely on a light colored, long sleeve t-shirt. A splash from my water bottle once in a while if it's really hot, and good to go.

What's so critical about having them under a jacket? Could you elaborate, please? Reason I'm asking is that I don't generally wear a jacket in the heat.

Did you order directly from TechNiche? Or another vendor? Inquiring minds want to know.
The vest needs to stay cool to work. If it is out in the open the heat and wind will dry it out and it becomes in-effective. If worn under a jacket it will actually seem to suck the heat from your body. They work, they work very well.
In fact, the worst thing someone can do is not wear a jacket in the heat at all. Look at people that live in the desert, they are always covered head to toe in clothing, regardless of temperature.

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
OK... But where'd you get it? I'd rather not pay twice as much for Joe Rocket.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
I understand about the need to wear it under a jacket so would wearing it under a mesh jacket defeat the purpose too? I have a Joe Rocket mesh which allows quite a bit of air to flow through but even on the hottest day its freaking hot when sitting in rush hour on the highway or at intersections.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I understand about the need to wear it under a jacket so would wearing it under a mesh jacket defeat the purpose too? I have a Joe Rocket mesh which allows quite a bit of air to flow through but even on the hottest day its freaking hot when sitting in rush hour on the highway or at intersections.
I wore mine under my mesh jacket and it stills works ok. I guess the idea is to limit the vest to the effects of wind, or air passing through, or direct heat from sunlight. The cooling in the vest works by sucking the heat from your body....if the vest becomes warm or dry due to being overly exposed it loses it's effectiveness.
We soak ours, then put them in large zip-loc bags and freeze them overnight. Then we just packe them along on the day ride, and put them on if needed.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Good to know that it still works okay. Thanks. One question because I don't see it mentioned on their website. Do you wear the vest against your skin or over top a t-shirt or under a t-shirt? I've had the TechNiche site bookmarked for a year or two now after reading about them in one of the cruiser mags I subscribe to. This might be the year to finally buy one.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Over a cotton T to avoid the synthetic material from scrubbing the skin and snagging body hair!

I have been riding since a Grouse Blouse or upland game bird vest stuffed with 12 cool ones was the only cooling system available outside of simply dumping the safety jacket. How times have changed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts