Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recently purchased '04 EX500, now winterized (I've never ridden it, and can hardly stand having to wait until Spring!). Unfortunately, no Kawi owners' manual came with it. Not sure when I'll find one, been checking on ebay. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate someone confirming correct tire pressure(s). On cars, there is a label on the driver's door-jamb, but I can find nothing similar on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
According to the specifications for a 2004 EX500 on Kawasaki.com the tire pressures are 33 in front and 36 in back. I run 35/40 unless I'm going to hit rain.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
From the recommendation/consensus of an EX500R exclusive forum, 28 psi front and 32 psi rear will do you fine. Most people found that that combination is good for communting and for the twisties. It's what I used and I've been happy with it. Just make sure that you check tire pressure when they are cold.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
28 PSI is awfully low for a sport bike of any kind. Even on a cruiser you'll find you'll have excessive wear on the front and rear at that pressure. Which forum is that, eidian? I only know of ex-500.com myself but that's probably because it's the lovechild of ex500riders.

Plato, I've put my foot in my mouth too often, sometimes on a daily basis, so I can hardly judge :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yo Jimmy! Actually, I did get those tire pressures from the original ex500riders forum (that's the old one that died back in the summer of '06, right?). I scratched my head when I read that too but decided to try it and it worked for me. I think that I've only posted once in the "new" 500R forum...why don't you ask over there?

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
I used to run 30 front 32 rear when I had my ex500 (500r) it was great! wear wise and it felt pretty nice too!

If it rains you want it slightly higher pressure.. since the tire deforms less and that means there is a smaller chance of hydroplaning... just slow more for corners!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts