Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 94 vulcan 500 that has been garaged for 2 years due to a back injury of the previous owner. the petcock leaks fuel really badly so should i try and take it apart and clean it up or just get a new one? the battery died yesterday too so i guess i need to get that checked. lots to do so i guess i better get crackin! :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

congrats on the bike :wink:

check the pre-ride checklist in the (what i learned today) forum
if you go all thru that lsit - she'll be ready to ride :lol:

good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'd check out the prices for the petcock and just get a new one.

Motorcycle batteries are notorious for having short lifespans, nothing worse than just letting it sit for two years I would definitly plan on getting a new one ( probably won't have a choice anyways).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't have a choice. tested the battery this weekend and it is definitely a goner. also, i think i have solved the mystery of the leaking petcock...the wrong screws are in the face plate(which is where it was leaking). one of the two screws that hold the face plate on the petcock doesn't even fit the hole. when i pulled the petcock off the tank and turned it over in my hand the screw fell straight out. i am going to try and get the right screws and see if i can save $70 on a whole new petcock.

also, anyone know how much oil a vulcan 500 holds? haven't gotten my manual yet and i wanted to go ahead and change the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts