Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the parts last night to replace my coyote kit components. I've had them on for 6 years and 50,000 miles, so I decided to get a new air filter. I had to order the moroso cover again too, because when I did my iron butt ride a few years ago and was in Daytona, the bolt came out and it fell on the road. Before I could get back to it, it had been run over by a few cars. Other than being a little flatter, it survived and I just bolted it back on. I figured I would replace it and update the chrome! :)

Does anyone else have one on their bike???

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's about the same thing, but mine only has the filter on the right side. Your bike only has one carb, right? Did you just leave the crossover tube in?

On mine, I removed the cover on the left side, cut out the crossover tube, put a cover on the hole in the back of the right-hand base, then put a K&N filter and moroso cover on the right side.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I think it's about the same thing, but mine only has the filter on the right side. Your bike only has one carb, right? Did you just leave the crossover tube in?

On mine, I removed the cover on the left side, cut out the crossover tube, put a cover on the hole in the back of the right-hand base, then put a K&N filter and moroso cover on the right side.
Yep, same but different. Mine is a '06 so it's FI (no carb), and yes, I left the crossover tube in. The CaddmannQ mod utilizes 2 air intakes (9" round, similar to the Moroso style) to make the bike symmetrical instead of having an intake on one side and ??? on the other. This mod also requires that you cover the hole in the back of the intake plate. I used a piece of aluminum cut roughly to size, then screwed & glued it into place essetially. Directions with pix for my mod are here. Excellent tutorial by Constrictor:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...ors-caddman-air-mod-tutorial-56k-warning.html

Take care Dave and ride safely,
Daryl8)

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
I had the same setup, right side only and during a trip to Keywest a couple months ago mine came flying off too. Thankfully the filter and cover rolled gently into the ditch but the cover managed to bend itself up a bit. The bolt did disappear, thankfully there was an ACE Hardware store not 4 miles up the road. While passing through Daytona on my way home I made a stop at JP Cycles and picked up my Baron BAK. I still check those bolts frequently.

The Coyote is a great inexpensive intake solution, not real pretty but really helps these V-Twins breath better... It's really half of a Caddmann air kit but just as effective...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, my mod is on the gadget site. I guess with the FI you had two air intakes originally? On mine, the air intake for the carb was on the right side, but they put the air filter on the left side. The air went in there, through the crossover tube, then curved around into the carb. Didn't seem very efficient to me.

I did the same to mine...covered, screwed and glued. Mine is 8 1/2 inches. On the left side, I relocated my horn to there and put an aftermarket cover on it to make it chrome.

Does your model have the reed valves to put coasters on? I had mine marbled at first, but eventually put the coasters on in place of the reed valves. with doing that and relocating the horns, I've cleaned out the engine compartment a little more so that the engine is more visible and it doesn't look so cluttered. :)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Coyote is a great inexpensive intake solution, not real pretty but really helps these V-Twins breath better... It's really half of a Caddmann air kit but just as effective...
Maybe it's the road down there or something! It must like intake cover bolts! I always check mine too! :D

Not pretty??? Hey now!!! I liked the old-school hot rod idea of a Moroso cover. Eventually I'm going to chop mine and I think it will fit well along with the drag pipes. Gotta get another bike for touring with the mrs first! :D

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Maybe it's the road down there or something! It must like intake cover bolts! I always check mine too! :D

Not pretty??? Hey now!!! I liked the old-school hot rod idea of a Moroso cover. Eventually I'm going to chop mine and I think it will fit well along with the drag pipes. Gotta get another bike for touring with the mrs first! :D

Like I said, mine was half a Caddmann which means I used the Spectra ($20 at Pep Boys) air cleaner, really looked cheap (IMHO) on my bike. I'm so so so much happier with the look and performance of the Baron BAK... again it's all personal opinion... I mean hell, my girlfriend likes her Sportster, go figure...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just giving you a hard time. To each his own. I like mine because it's different from everyone else out there that buys the usual intakes. :)

Is the Spectra like the moroso lid?

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
I think it is just like it... except doesn't the Moroso say Moroso on it.. the Spectra is very plane.... There's an issue with the Spectra kit, the filter that comes with the lid fits the Kaw intake just fine, but the replacements are a tiny bit larger and require a little bit of weatherstrip...

Ride Safe..

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found that with the moroso kit as well. the K&N filter fit perfect, but the filter that came with the moroso was just slightly larger. Not enough that you couldn't squeeze it in to get a seal though.

Glad to see there are others who have done it. I don't see it often around here at all.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I ordered the parts last night to replace my coyote kit components. I've had them on for 6 years and 50,000 miles, so I decided to get a new air filter. I had to order the moroso cover again too, because when I did my iron butt ride a few years ago and was in Daytona, the bolt came out and it fell on the road. Before I could get back to it, it had been run over by a few cars. Other than being a little flatter, it survived and I just bolted it back on. I figured I would replace it and update the chrome! :)

Does anyone else have one on their bike???
Moroso Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
GonzoSC1,
HOly Schnikies... that is one bad a$$ looking bike! I freakin' love what you 've done with it. Nice job mathcing the red on the bike on the Moroso cover, too. Great choice of pipes for your style/setup of bike, too.

Ride safely and enjoy,
Daryl

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
NC,
FWIW, I "really" noticed the CaddmannQ difference on my ride home from work this evening. My inlet is on the left side, but both sides have trhe "Moroso-esque" 9-inch round air filters (symmetrical). I could hear it (deep moan) AND feel it... Oh yeah, I jumped on it coming off a stoplight turning left o the green arrow and it shocked the CRAP out of me how much power it now has. I was thinkin' I was pretty *****in' the rest of the 15 miles to home!!! **** near got sideways on it now with 85 ft.lbs of torque...

Good times,
Daryl

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yours is doing lots better than mine on power. I thiink that's the advantage of the FI and being able to use a PCIII. Much easier than trying to get carb settings "right" for power. If you look at my bikepics, you can see a scan of my dyno run done last fall. I'm not anywhere near 85 ft lbs. :(

·
Registered
552 Posts
GonzoSC1,
HOly Schnikies... that is one bad a$$ looking bike! I freakin' love what you 've done with it. Nice job mathcing the red on the bike on the Moroso cover, too. Great choice of pipes for your style/setup of bike, too.

Ride safely and enjoy,
Daryl

Thank you sir, the match up on the moroso's was just by chance believe it or not. there red anodized and just a tad different red but they match up nicely. you can get them in red, gold, blue and black all anodizes. so they can match up on other color bikes. I was thinking about the black ones but after a little thought I went with the red just so any scuffs and stuff wouldn't show as much.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, just a little comment about Summit Racing. I ordered a new moroso air intake from them Tuesday evening when I got home, as I commented at the top of the thread. It was AT THE DOOR last night when I got home from work. Ordered Tueday evening, arrived Thursday evening....great service. And I didn't request overnight delivery either. Cudos to them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts