Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
were crash bars a factory option on a kawasaki kz 440 say from 1980-1983? i seen a set oo ebay for a 1982 kawasaki kz 440, but i'm wondering if their aftermarket or factory...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Best not to crash it. I've had a few buddies crash because of these bars sticking out when the thought the could clear things like curbs and parking blocks.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I've always called that style "case guards" and the wide one piece style that bolts to the down tubes between the forks and engine "crash bars". The 3 point case guards definitely work. A few years ago my bike slid far enough that it ground almost all the way through one sidewall of my case guards and it never folded or moved.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Mike: I hope you didn't slide and "wear through"! Don
Unfortunately I did. :cry: The bike went down so fast I didn't even have time to react. My left leg was pinned under the bike for most of the time the bike was sliding but the majority of the pressure was on my ankle. I thought it had worn through the ankle bone. :eek:

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Unfortunately I did. :cry: The bike went down so fast I didn't even have time to react. My left leg was pinned under the bike for most of the time the bike was sliding but the majority of the pressure was on my ankle. I thought it had worn through the ankle bone. :eek:
Wow,bummer! My bike has the single bar two point connection "case guards" and had signs of use because upon close inspection I realised that the bike had been laid down and the right guard had road rash and the mounts were cracked and re-straightened, indicating that they do bend over in a lay-down! The case was protected and I have since re-welded the cracked mounting tabs with stainless filler rod and polished them to their original beauty and strength. My case guards also have small tabs for the "highway pegs" I removed because they just weren't comfortable and had no use on a "muscle bike"! I would suggest case guards for any bike to any rider! Not long after getting my bike, my wife and I were riding home from KC and I opted to take a rural scenic route home when a deer decided to cross the road directly in front of me! I only had enough time to yell "hang on" when I locked up the rear brake and the deer took out the plexiglass wind shield on the now removed fairing! Meanwhile the bike went into a fish tail slide nearly throwing my poor little wife off the back of the bike, she was only hanging on by one leg and her "talons" that were deeply embedded into my sides, she was screaming bloody murder and all I could invision was her little foot mangled in the rear wheel! I didnt use the kickstand once I got stopped, I just laid it down and quickly turned so I could attend to her foot! Thank God her foot was fine and had been pinned between the muffler and the tire, it was the heat that made her scream and thanks to the leather boots she was wearing, no injury was sustained! Only her boots were destroyed,one burned, the other with the toe rubbed out of, not even her sock was touched.....Only her will to ride through rural "corn-country" was hurt! Cant say that I blame her! The deer was fine and.... wow,sorry for the long post, hows that ankle Mike?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
It's been several years but other than the obvious scar the ankle seems to be completely normal now. That was the second time this bike ended up on it's side. The first was when the ex bumped it off the center stand while attempting to park her car in the garage but that was back in the mid 80's. :lol:

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
It's been several years but other than the obvious scar the ankle seems to be completely normal now. That was the second time this bike ended up on it's side. The first was when the ex bumped it off the center stand while attempting to park her car in the garage but that was back in the mid 80's. :lol:
Thats funny Mike, although im sure it wasnt very funny at the time! Kinda makes me want to start a "Ever Forget To Put The Kickstand Down?" Thread. LOL I wonder if those count as "laydowns"?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My closest call was a deer. Me at 65 mph on an old Commando and the deer leaping out of a roadside drainage ditch. Less than 5 feet of clearance between him and me. It caused me to read up on deer habits. There are things to watch out for beyond dawn and dusk.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
My closest was me getting introduced to the grill of a 3/4 ton pickup in a head-on with me at approx 35mph and him at 15mph. End results were a 3 month old 350 Honda totaled, a broken collarbone, 6 stitches, and a crushed right leg, an ambulance driver that got his butt kicked then fired for drinking on the job. All in all a very interesting day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts