Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding into work yesterday in the wonderful 27F frosty morning air I start wondering if I'm crazy or just stupid. I actually stay warm with the exception of my finger tips, but they were killing me yesterday. So there I am thinking that maybe I've reached my temperature limit when I pass 2 bicyclists in spandex. My questions then quickly changed to "are THEY crazy or stupid".

So are those of us that ride below freezing Crazy, Stupid, or something else (and what about those guys in spandex in 27F weather:eek: )?

I've decided to get heated grips and keep pushing the temperature threshold lower. Ain't no way I'm stopping riding because of a little frosty air:p

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
I'd bet the guys in spandex are pretty warm as they are working their tails off to keep moving... :wink:

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Bama, as much as I miss riding, (put the bike up 2 weeks ago), was just talkin' about it last night, and it's only been a short time......I'd consider myself Crazy and Stupid to ride in this cold weather. The thought of gettin' in a cold truck every morning makes me feel crazy and stupid, more so every year! It just doesn't get any easier. Been between 12 and 28 degrees all week. As long as you're enjoying it, have at it!;)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd consider myself Crazy and Stupid to ride in this cold weather.
Yep, that's what I am Crazy and Stupid:biggrin: There is a saving grace that makes it all worthwhile. The ride home in the afternoon is in the 50s and 60s. Actually, it is going to be in the 70s this weekend:biggrin: When the afternoon is this nice, it makes justifying an hour long 27F ride in morning easier.:biggrin:

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
As long as the roads are clear of ice/snow, go for it. Your not nuts, just devoted. Riding around here in the mornings are problimatic. My street develops a nice light coat of frost a good part of the time. the truck handle sit fine, on the scoot it's slip and slide time.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like your heated grips. Are they worth the trouble?
They are due in next Wednesday. I should be fine until then as the morning temps are suppose to be in the 50s thru Tuesday:biggrin: , 40s on Wednesday:D , and back in the 20s Thursday:eek: .

Afternoon temps are going to be in the upper 60s to mid 70s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Be careful. Especially if it's dark. The brain starts to daydream before it tells you you're cold. I blew past my exit one morning when I was trying to decide if I was crazy or not. Try heated clothing. It's a dream come true.
Also be careful at intersections if they use salt or cinders for ice.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be careful. Especially if it's dark. The brain starts to daydream before it tells you you're cold. I blew past my exit one morning when I was trying to decide if I was crazy or not. Try heated clothing. It's a dream come true.
Also be careful at intersections if they use salt or cinders for ice.
My body stays nice and warm (large windshield and good fleece takes care of that), and in Alabama there is no need to worry about salt and cinders. I've been here 10 years and have only seen 1/2 inch of snow and a couple ice storms. It has been a nice change from 100+ inches of snow in Boston the last winter before I left.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Don't know which is more uncomfortable, the crisp breeze or the extra layers, and the thick gloves. 39 degrees with a stiff north breeze has been the coolest so far.
Hoping to get at least a couple of rides a month in during the winter.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I agree, nothing is wrong riding in cold weather. As long as you are alert and fairly comfortable, go for it. As mentioned before, be careful with frost on the ground. The weather here in SE PA. has not been the best, but my bike got picked up by my dealership for its 15K service. I hope to get it back either tomorrow or Monday and I'll be back on the saddle.

Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmmm...as it'll be almost 80 here tomorrow...

Never mind- don't wanna get flamed too hard!

LOL

·
Registered
410 Posts
I did that last year and rode all winter, i eventually got frost bike as i rode too far from home and when the sun went down i was screwed~! Well now im not riding at all (cold and snow on the ground) but since the frost now i get cold real quick! my fingers ache from just being out in the cold for a short time.. I think i pushed it too far and now im not doing it at all..

chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not crazy or stupid IMO. I ride right through several times per week, but I only have a short hop to work and back. You need the right gear for sure. Heated grips help but aren't a cure all when it really gets cold, i.e., below 15F. Do a search on a product called hippo hands. They look ridiculous but work well when combined with heated grips. I rode down to 6F last winter on the 950 adventure. Heated grips, hippo hands and winter weight MX gloves which are much thinner than winter weight road gloves. Another option is heated gloves, such as gerbings offerings. They actually heat your hands much better than the grips, right down to your finger tips.

Watch out for black ice, it's a killer and your worst enemy when winter road riding. Other than that have fun. I always enjoy the looks I get from the cage drivers when it's 10F and I'm stopped at a intersection :D .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts