Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G,day all. This is my second time at writing in. I have regulary logged on to this site and the sensible feedback from members I have read over the last few months compells me to seek your advise.
I live in Australia, I ride a 2007 Vulcan Classic, only mods so far are Iso grips and saddle bags. The weather is dry and warm, even in winter, hardly no rain. Great cruising weather. The roads are, in the main , well sealed and mostly straight. I have had the Vulcan for 6 months (only 8K)
but I am looking to update to the 1700 Nomad Classic. I do not carry a passenger. Can you guys give me an idea on a) if it is worth the extra $12,000 b) are the any bad habits the Nomad has, and c) are any there any other brands I might like to look at to compare. I appreciate your time and thoughts

·
Registered
20,607 Posts
G'day Bruce!

i haven't ridden either the Classic or the Nomad, but i'd have thought that if you only ride on your own, then i doubt it's really worth the extra money unless you crave to have a new bike and have fallen in love with the 1700 Nomad Classic.

the 07' (900?) Classic is a great looking bike, i've got the Custom and it serves me beautifully.
I've racked up 14k miles in nearly 2 years of owning it from new and it's not missed a beat, from short rides, to day-trips to France, to epic 1000 miles in 24 hour rides.

I could recommend maybe getting some aftermarket pipes, air cleaner and fuel processor to wake her up if it's a little extra "oomph" you're looking for.
It wouldn't cost more than $1000 to get those 'big 3'.... a nice saving if you're considering spending $12k for a bigger bike.

Otherwise if you're really after a bigger cc bike, you could look at what Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory and Harley has to offer.
You could probably get a couple grand off if you part-exchange your Vulcan.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
c) are any there any other brands I might like to look at to compare.
If you're thinking of a 1700cc cruiser, you definitely should test ride the new Triumph Thunderbird (1700cc with factory big bore conversion). The power, torque and handling are superb, even with the stock 1600cc engine. The build quality is typically excellent. The price is OK too.

The VN 1700 Classic is comparatively heavy for the amount of power it delivers.

I thought about going from my 900 Classic to a Thunderbird, but in the end the hooligan in me opted for the Rocket III instead. :twisted:

Have fun test riding and let us know what you get (with photos too please) :D

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
If you're looking in to a bagger, my favorite of all of them is the new Victory. Check them out. The Nomad was very nice, but the Victory calls to me more since it fits me a bit better and I love the aesthetics. But, everyone's different. My recommendation is always to throw your legs over all of them and see what fits!

·
Registered
362 Posts
'Allo, Mate! (too Brit?)
Anyway, the Nomad is designed to take two-up for a distance in comfort. If you strictly solo, I think it would be a waste of weight and bulk. That being said, I went from a very flickable 1200 H-D Sportster to a 1500 Nomad for the comfort. The Nomie's are rare on the pre-owned market in SoCal, USA, where the climate is similiar to yours, and when I found a good one, I jumped on it. When I got it home, lo and behold, the wifey took a look at it and said she might consider getting on the back of it, something she'd never done before with either of my Sportsters. Maybe it was the plush pillion pad, the backrest, handholds, and the passenger foot boards that did it? Anyway, we're goin' ridin' over Thanksgiving. The Nomad is not a canyon-carving twisty machine, but it is very comfortable for the longer ride, even solo, something the Sporty could never claim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.