Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just took an 80 mile ride the longest since returning to riding. I rode crotch rockets when I was younger. when I returned to riding I found I was to old to ride a crotch rocket, physically that is. I have come to the realization that my mean streak does not fit me as well as I would like and that wind sucks. I may have to figure out how to do a windshield and lowers for long rides with out messing with the look and type of bike I wanted. or go out and get another bike.

I also got home got off the bikes and thought to myself when are my apes gonna get here and I really need to figure out fwd Controls. My butt hurts so really need to get my mustang softened a bit.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
...............................ok

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you want to go used, i would say to go for a 1500 classic FI 2005 and up. For seat comfort you can go mustang or corbin, or you go to a saddle maker and modify the original one for less money (200$ to 400$). Generaly the stock seat of any bike (cruiser) always sucks on long rides. For the wind you can go for small shield to remove pressure off your chest, i got one for 70$ that mounts on the handle bar, and i am satisfied with it, got the same for my wife on her shadow. For shoulder comfort you can add risers (100$) or go for mini apes (might have to get new longer cables for clutch, throtle, and brakes, or reroute them behind the fork if your extention is not too much)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant get a new bike wife is apposed but she said I can modify it. I just received my mustang touring seat but have to get used to it lot harder then stock. I have ordered 16" kongs and all cables on the way. finally found forward controls. so have to decide on windshield by the time i'm said and done think it will look more like a classic then a meanie. have to wait till i get cash built back up though since i just got a mustang apes and taking my bike in wed to get dyno tuned.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I believe Walmart has a seat cushion that is a gel pad for cheap. Might help cushion that rear on longer trips.

NOTHING will break in that Mustang seat like riding it will. There are no shortcuts to burnishing bum to pad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i took a ten year break from riding - when i got back in my first few weeks i thought i might have made a mistake - the wind and sore bummbumm - well - honestly - it just took a few weeks to work the bugs out - a couple long rides and i got to the point where it didn't seam soo bad - but yes - get a shield and some lowers - on yeah - and a set of chaps - i dont care what anyone says - your legs and your pants will thank you - not to mention its hard to get bug stains out of a good pair of jeans...or worse yet - out of a set of dress pants...not that i would know anything about that

·
Registered
995 Posts
A cheap resolution to the sore bottom is an "Air Hawk" air pad. They are reasonably priced and quite comfortable.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I cant get a new bike wife is apposed but she said I can modify it. I just received my mustang touring seat but have to get used to it lot harder then stock. I have ordered 16" kongs and all cables on the way. finally found forward controls. so have to decide on windshield by the time i'm said and done think it will look more like a classic then a meanie. have to wait till i get cash built back up though since i just got a mustang apes and taking my bike in wed to get dyno tuned.
You get all that done to your scoot, and you enjoy those long trips!!

·
Late starter...
797 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, comfort is "else where"...
Only you can decide on the mix...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, comfort is "else where"...
Only you can decide on the mix...
To me that is the most difficult part....trying to blend looks, comfort, and functionality all into one package can be challenging at times.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Give the seat a few hundred miles to break in. Give your butt some serious seat time to get used to it as well. I find that riding is something you have to be in-shape for. I don't ride for 4 months over the winter, and the first few rides in the spring are really painful. By mid summer I can run 200 miles without getting off the seat with no problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im in the same boat as as you. i trade my hayabusa for a 2006 meanstreak. i cant complain though the guy has put alot of work and money into it already from the big bore kit to eveything chromed out to the jardine forward controls. when i was wanting to trade i wanted a chopper and couldnt find one in my price range. i tried evry bike out there and im 6'3" and couldnt fit on anything stock. but the forward controls help alot..... it fits me fine but i still need a mustang seat. the ride is alot different going from a sport bike to the mean streak. You have a lot more air on you it just takes some time to get use to. Also my only complaint is it def needs a 6th gear.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't really like the way it looks, but for me the backrest was the best thing I ever got for comfort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok so I just took an 80 mile ride the longest since returning to riding. I rode crotch rockets when I was younger. when I returned to riding I found I was to old to ride a crotch rocket, physically that is. I have come to the realization that my mean streak does not fit me as well as I would like and that wind sucks. I may have to figure out how to do a windshield and lowers for long rides with out messing with the look and type of bike I wanted. or go out and get another bike.

I also got home got off the bikes and thought to myself when are my apes gonna get here and I really need to figure out fwd Controls. My butt hurts so really need to get my mustang softened a bit.
Whhaaaaa do I hear a wambulance....First off you just took an 80 mi ride.... really? I just got done doing my driveway for the 4th time in 2 days and have about 2 feet of snow! I'm really just kidding with you, I do however understand what you are saying about the being out of shape for riding...every spring iI have to melt away about 10-20 lbs just to get my leather coat on... and if the wife wants me in the chaps I better lose anther 5 lbs. Not to mention on long rides the wind beats the hell out you... you really feel it being out of shape.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I own an 08 1500 classic, I find the stock seat to be fine for long rides. To block the wind I have a Memphis slims. I have gone on many trips lasting from 1 to 3 days and have had no problems with my level of comfort.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts