Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Dutch VN rider and many of us Europeans, the ultimate would be a biketrip through the USA.
Except for the fact that there are so many states is a problem to choose where to ride for a 3 weeks or so.
Of course I can think of route 66, but that would be too obvious.
The scenery I already liked on movies, youtube etc. was Utah, Colorado, California.

So the question to you USA guys. (and don't bash eachother about states)

What are the great places/routes?..

Of course this works vice versa.
After all, this forum and community is intercontinental and has no boundaries.
Anyone interested in cruising in Europe (which is pherhaps cheaper than you would think), I can assist and help you out.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
As a Dutch VN rider and many of us Europeans, the ultimate would be a biketrip through the USA.
Except for the fact that there are so many states is a problem to choose where to ride for a 3 weeks or so.
Of course I can think of route 66, but that would be too obvious.
The scenery I already liked on movies, youtube etc. was Utah, Colorado, California.

So the question to you USA guys (and don't bash eachother about states)

What are the great places/routes?..

Of course this works vice versa.
After all, this forum and community is intercontinental and has no boundaries.
Anyone interested in cruising in Europe (which is pherhaps cheaper than you would think), I can assist and help you out.
Sure take away all our fun. LOL Since I live in Ohio I haven't gotten to experience the west yet. But about anything in the Smokie Mountains is really good riding. I have spent a lot of time in West Virginia riding and its an awesome state to ride in. Tennesse is great too and the people are real friendly! You can't go wrong in any of those areas.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, have your fun but don't overbash too much, don't want to be responsible for another civil war....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dean,

Really depends on what kind of country you want to see, and what season you'll be here?
Guessing summer/warm weather...

If you like congestion, a town/gas station every 3 miles, the East coast is the place for you (there are hills and trees and pretty places too).

If you want the Wild West experience with vast views of endless country, then the mid West to West is it.

With three weeks to explore, you should easily be able to tour the eastern states on your way to Colorado, then over to Nevada, California, and Arizona.
(The Rocky mountains, Las Vegas, Redwoods, Fantastic National parks, and the Grand Canyon)

Three weeks will be a great tour!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Boy, that's a toughie.

Keep in mind, I have traveled extensively in all 50 states, 48 of them as a trucker. I've seen every state, and most of the different parts of each state.

The middle part of the country is boring, but if you haven't seen it, you can have only a dim understanding of what the U.S. is all about.

So, having said all that, if I had 3 weeks, where would I go?

I'd fly to Maine and start there. I'd go south through the New England states and on south, perhaps following US 1, all the way to at least Jacksonville, FL. Continuing on down to Key West would be neat, but that would add almost 1,000 miles onto your trip. That would probably be at least 3 days. From there, I would go across I-10 to I-25 in Las Cruces, NM. I'd go north from there to Denver, then west on I-70 to Utah. Southern Utah is pretty impressive, but I'd go up from Green River, UT, to Salt Lake City. Then I'd go up I-15 to Butte, MT, and west on I-90 to Seattle. Then I'd go south to CA, following I-5, 101, or whatever you feel like using.

That's just an outline, mind you.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
I'd go for quality not quantity of miles and plan time to see some local attractions (not necessarily planned because you'll run across things as you travel). Ride the back roads up and down the Appalachian Mountains or Rocky Mountains or Pacific Coast. I'd keep Interstate Highway travel to an absolute minimum and keep in mind the varying climates and seasons.

In the summer I could easily consume 3 weeks just in Pennsylvania/New York/ Vermont/New Hampshire or Colorado/Wyoming/Idaho.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
If there could only be one destination allowed, I would pick the ride that started where US 101 crosses the Columbia River and follow the Pacific coast south until you get to Mexico. OK, I would start in Olympia, WA and go around the Olympic Peninsula if I hadn't done that route before, but the Pacific coast is truly a sight to behold. When you get to Leggett, CA exit US 101 for CA 1 and get ready for mile after mile of heaven. I think I would try to find a way to have to pass through Yellowstone on my way to Olympia, but that would be quite a detour.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
Tough question and you will get a different response based on where an individual is from. But if you want to see a little bit of it all. Start in WA work your way East through Colorado and then South towards the desert. Head west towards Southern California, before you head North up the coast highway. You get big trees, big mountains, desert, city, theme parks, ocean and plains. A lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take into account that there are so many different opinions, but I find it so far very interesting.
I can ship my own bike to your continent.and fly to it when it arrives.
Renting a bike could be quite expensive.
How is the attitude of the Police towards half open exhaust?
Like your Cobra's or Highwayhawk pipes for example.
How is accomodation (motels)?
I have no idea about the prices.
Also a piece of Canada could be interesting..Canadians...?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I'll take into account that there are so many different opinions, but I find it so far very interesting.
I can ship my own bike to your continent.and fly to it when it arrives.
Renting a bike could be quite expensive.
How is the attitude of the Police towards half open exhaust?
Like your Cobra's or Highwayhawk pipes for example.
How is accomodation (motels)?
I have no idea about the prices.
Also a piece of Canada could be interesting..Canadians...?
There are a lot of bikes with just plain straight pipes so the noise shouldn't be much of a problem. But with foriegn plates on your bike I would think that would make you more of a target. If for no other reason than to see what you're all about. Motels really vary a lot. And it depends on the location. But they can be 30 dlollars a night up to 100 dollars or so.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
I would have to agree with Charlie Gary, with one addition {having just seen it myself} go through Montana {or at least the western side} and maybe a bit of idaho as well. Sounds like 3 week of heaven await, Enjoy.

·
Crazed Zed-head
2,076 Posts
Well, to add to Charlie Gary's idea and throw in Canada...

Start in Jasper, Alberta. Take the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise. Backtrack just a little bit to start heading south to and through the Okanagan River Valley. Once you cross into the US, take the North Cascade Highway to the Seattle area. You can bypass most of the Seattle area urban sprawl by taking a ferry across the Puget Sound. Go around the Olympic Peninsula and head down the US West Coast on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). After a thousand miles or so, cross over the Golden Gate Bridge and spend a day or two exploring San Francisco. From S.F., leave the coast for a bit to explore Yosemite National Park, then head back towards the coast, arriving at Monterey. Back on the PCH now, you will be travelling the most famous and scenic stretch of the PCH: the Big Sur area. Once you arrive in San Luis Obispo, start inland to avoid the urban sprawl that is the LA Basin (PCH gets pretty boring after this, anyway). You might even want to zip through Cholame and visit the spot where James Dean was killed in an accident. After that, well, my detailed knowledge ends.

I'd suggest continuing on to spots east. I'd say two "must see's" in the desert are the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, Utah.

Gratuitous Big Sur picture:

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
For hotels nation wide, this is a pretty safe bet.
Motel 6 - Find Discount Motels Nationwide & Book Motel Reservations
Just don't be surprised when you learn the price they advertise is before taxes are added, and they can end up being a bit of hard hit depending on how creative the local governments are.
The noise will depend a lot on where you are. Myrtle Beach on the east coast won't welcome you, but most places will try to ignore you as long as you don't act like a hooligan.
I don't know much of anything about eastern Canada, but the Frazier River Valley is really pretty, and friends tell me Banff is worth the trip.
If you follow Bill's itinerary (and it sounds perfect) be sure to stop for the tour of Hearst Castle Welcome to Hearst Castle
It's pretty cool.
That bike in the picture looks familiar
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/wpb3pan/PC270006.jpg

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Come through the Appalachians south (Blue Ridge Prkwy) and ride through South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi (Natchez Trace) Arkansas and across Oklahoma's northern Ozarks and the Texas Panhandle (Amarillo and a 72 ounce Steak) into Eastern New Mexico. Go south a bit and see Carlsbad Caverns and ride back north through Santa Fe into the San Juans in Colorado and keep on going across the Rocky Mountain Divide into Wyoming and turn west to Vernal, Utah. See the Dinosaur Country and head back south into the Red Rock Deserts, Moab, Utah and Monument Valley and Meteor Crater in Bisbee and the Grand Canyon, Az From there, depending on how much time you have left, you can go West to CA and see Death Valley and the Pacific and fly home or head back east across 10 or 40 if you want to experience America's sprawling Interstate system. This can be done in three weeks sticking to state roads for maximum involvment in the people and places of the U.S. You'll be spending long hours in the saddle every day and collapsing into your bed exhausted every night for an early start in the morning but then, hey, *smiles* isn't that what a trip like this is really about?
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

·
Old enough to know better
58 Posts
I would recommend the Skyline Drive in Virginia connecting with the Blue Ridge Parkway for as far as you choose. You get hills, curves, beautiful scenery, limited access, no commercial vehicles, and lots of other motorcycles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow!
Great information, I really need to work out all these options.
Long rides every day on a tight schedule will be a bit too much maybe.
I don't want to be like a Japanese tourist rushing through the country and coming back with 45.000 photos, not remembering which places he has been.
Instead of shipping my bike, I could also buy a motorcycle overthere and sell it again when I leave, I think that would be the cheapest way.
As a startingpoint I have 2 options.
Fly to my brother in law in Corpus Christi.
Or fly to Virginia where I have a friend living.
I could buy an older big Kawa cruiser or something on e-bay and leave it parked in their garage awaiting for my arrival.
What I could do is;
Start in Corpus Christi and go through Texas - New Mexico - Arizona - Take a piece of California - Utah - Wyoming - Colorado - and head back to Texas.
It will give me enough time to see a lot, meet people and even hang around some places for a couple of days.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
If you start in Corpus Christi, you are very close to the best riding in Texas, the Hill Country west of Austin TX.
Do not miss the 3 Twisted Sisters, I was there in May 09 and loved it I spent 3 days riding the hills and never got bored.
Also consider the Ozarks in NW Arkansas, Talimena Highway that connects AR and OK. New Mexico is cool especially the northern part, Colorado, stay away from the big cities and explore the back roads.
Have fun. Post pics.

Greg58

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Three weeks isn't enough time to visit all the best parts. I recommend picking a general area. You could easily spend a full three weeks in southwestern Colorado, southern Utah and northern Arizona or another three weeks in the Smoky Mountains and Ozarks. If you try to see too much you won't really see anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts