Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for help in getting a custom pipe made up. This is not for a regular Kawa dirtbike but for a KR150 that I've converted.

I've had a pipe custom made, but think the diameter is a bit small where it comes from the engine. I can get it changed, but would like some help before going ahead.

For those wondering, the reason for the conversion is because I'm living in Thailand were imported dirt bikes and their parts are very expensive and difficult to come by.

On the other hand, there are many cheap second hand 2 strokes over here and no shortage of mechanics or parts. There are also motocross racing classes with the limitation that bike must be locally made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^Thanks, actually I was after something a bit simpler. Maybe a standard pipe design from a KDX. The guy doing the work does a good job, but he's not familiar with the technical aspects.

I was told as the pipe comes out from the engine, the diameter should remain the same for about ten inches, then start to taper out and the taper at both ends should be about the same. Does this sound correct?

Any tips would be helpful, I'm not trying to make the perfect pipe, just something that works.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most who make a custom pipe like you are attempting find on that fits the exhaust port and is for a similar size motor like 200cc KDX as you suggest. Then they cut the pipe and rotate and re-weld until the pipe fits the custom bike. But this approach seems like a waste of time for your bike. Even taking dimensions.

But I believe you are talking about a street bike that has a down pipe that runs under the frame and up and out near rear wheel. Find as many pictures you can and you can get a good idea of the pipe sizes on other bikes by comparing the pipe to know dimensions on your bike.

BikePics - Kawasaki KR 150 Home Page on BikePics.Com

BikePics - 2005 Kawasaki KR 150 Home Page on BikePics.Com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Thanks again, your correct it was a street bike. I still have the originally pipe, so I can get the dimensions from that.

As I understand it, the street bike pipe would have a longer taper than a dirt bike. Does this sound right? If the diameter of the custom pipe at it's widest point, matched the diameter of the old pipe, would this mean it's (more or less)wide enough?

Below are some, pics:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.