Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

My name is andy. I bought a 1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 700 about 2 years ago to be my first bike. I love riding motorcycles and it was cheap and a good starter bike.

Lately I've been thinking of getting a different bike and trading her in. But I realized that I won't even get a decent return unless i sell it private party.

And on top of that I've come to love it too much and I figured its worth to keep it around and be able to say it was my first bike.

I love the old school choppers and bobbers, the rat rod type look. So I started customizing it. I got midnightblue mettalic flames on the tank and fenders and the raised sissy bar, also made her nice and loud.

But I really would like to some how extend my front forks or get a different front end and chopper her up a bit. But I can't afford thausands of dollars for conversion kits and stuff.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do? Would a machine shop be able to extend them like they do with drive shaft on cars maybe?

Please help me and my project out cause with a lil help she'll be a real beauty

·
Registered
8 Posts
you could always do what the guys did in the 60s/70s go to the junkyard find a bike with similar front fork tubes. take those fork tubes and yours cut both then weld both togeather to make 1 longer set then install them on your bike 8) :cool:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I'd cut and weld the frame at the triple tree to get a little more rake. I'd want to be certain of those welds though. Welcome to the forum! Post up some pictures of your ride as she is now.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
If you change the angle of the frame/engine, you have to be careful to ensure the oil pump pickup isn't impacted. I'm not familiar with the vulcan engines, but on many other bikes lifting the front-end with longer fork tubes will cause the oil to move backwards in the pan, and oil pickup to be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome...Thanks for all the help...I would have all the right tools but I don't think I can trust my welding skills enough for the front forks or the frame of "The engine with wheels" that I'm gonna sit my unprotected but on. haha

It's really hard for me, because I live in Mayville ND out in the middle of no where the next biggest town is Fargo ND and the only Custom Bike shop there went out of business years ago. All the other places are dealerships and when I got a new rear tire put on last year they told me that my bike beeing an 85 is so old they don't want to work on it.

There is so many things I'd love to get done. Like rebuild my carbs, but this is the first Motorcycle engine I work on and I don't wanna mess it up, or compromise the "safeness" of my bike.

Like for example it would be practically impossible to find a Motorcycle junk yard. I paid the dealership 550$ to put a new starter on my bike!!!!!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
It's hard to find people to work on older bikes, I'll agree. If you can, look on Ebay for a manual, or look at the top of the vintage section at the sticky. Z1enterprises is a great place, their prices are reasonable, and they answer the phone if you have questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts